[comp.arch] Where is Seymour's tongue?

aoki@faerie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (12/16/88)

>I don't know about now, but I've seen tongue-in-cheek stuff from Cray before.
>(The less polite would call it bullsh*tting.)  Like the way that the balance
>of the signal propagation delays in the DIGITAL LOGIC in a Cray-1 causes a
>a load with 0 power factor to be presented to the AC POWER LINE (think about
>it; think about how power supplies are implemented; and think about the semi-
>literate computer science hack who doesn't know much about electrical engi-
>neering and eats that kind of stuff up like it was from Moses).

Please, I am but a poor semi-literate computer science hack who doesn't
know enough of electrical engineering to see the joke, can you explain it
to me?  (Really!  Me, I *believed* all that about "presenting a purely
resistive load to the power supply".  [ Wait, "to the power supply"? ])

Can you also explain how two slides and a minute of this bullsh*t got past a
big crowd at LLNL in '75, and then a paper with this bullsh*t got past the
CACM reviewers in '78 (and then past Siewiorek Bell and Newell in '82)?  Damn,
Dave Patterson never explained the joke either.  What a bunch of maroons!
----------------
Paul M. Aoki
CS Division, Dept. of EECS // UCB // Berkeley, CA 94720		(415) 642-1863
aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU					...!ucbvax!aoki
	"Guards, beat this man brutally for daring to try to confuse me!"
				_Floyd Farland, Citizen of the Future_

In article <8342@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, aoki@faerie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) writes:
> Please, I am but a poor semi-literate computer science hack who doesn't
> know enough of electrical engineering to see the joke, can you explain it
> to me?  (Really!  Me, I *believed* all that about "presenting a purely
> resistive load to the power supply".  [ Wait, "to the power supply"? ])

Well, it looks like I've been the butt of my own obtuseness.  When I read
that, I thought "gee whiz, what OTHER kind of load could be presented to a
DC power supply (in steady state)?  Capacitive?  Inductive?  (none of which
would matter to DC, right?)".  So I wrote it off as B.S.  I'm sorry I came
down too hard because (as somebody else explained to me) I now know what he
meant.  But I still insist it was poorly worded.  Had I had to phrase the
description, I would have said "presented an UNVARYING load to the power
supply."  A resistive load could comprise a bank of resistors being switched
on and off; it's still resistive, right?  But it's not unvarying.
--
|------------Dan Levy------------|  THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE MINE ONLY
| Bell Labs Area 61 (R.I.P., TTY)|  AND ARE NOT TO BE IMPUTED TO AT&T.
|        Skokie, Illinois        |
|-----Path:  att!ttbcad!levy-----|

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) (12/20/88)

If you're ever in Boston, check out the Boston Computer Museum.  I think it's
still the only permanent computer museum in the world.  Anyway, they have this
"shrine" to Seymour that's adorned with several great quotes by him and by
others about him.  The only one I can remember offhand is "Cost was never
much of a consideration in the design of my machines."
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl	"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
-- karl@ficc.uu.net	encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without