[comp.arch] BSD vs. Sys V

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) (12/20/88)

In article <82195@sun.uucp>, lm@snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:
> In article <6360@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
> > Sys V sux. I'm typing this from a 3b2 running Sys V.3 (the

> I'd have to disagree with that statement.  I've worked on both Sys5 and BSD
> based boxes as a kernel hack for several years.  The Vr3 kernel is fairly
> clean and easy to work with.   I'd like to say the same for the BSD kernel
> but everyone would die laughing.

But if "cat -v" is considered harmful, the original Unix designers must be
spinning in their graves, in advance, over the megabloat prospects of
System V/Release 4.

This topic is on thin ice in comp.arch.  Followups have been directed to
comp.os.misc.

--
-- uunet!ficc!karl	"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
-- karl@ficc.uu.net	encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without