[comp.arch] 80386 vs. 68030

kirkaas@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) (11/28/88)

First the disclaimers:  I know this sort of question is meaningless
as it stands and depends on all sorts of factors like the
application, the program, prejudice, etc.; & I'm sure this has been
covered before -- but I haven't seen it.

So, as regards the 80386/68030 -- Which is better? Which is faster?
Why?

I'm really thinking about the NeXT vs. an 80386 based Unix machine.

Paul Kirkaas
kirkaas@cs.ucla.edu

cjosta@taux01.UUCP (Jonathan Sweedler) (11/28/88)

In article <18266@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> kirkaas@cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) writes:
|So, as regards to the 80386/68030 -- Which is better? Which is faster?

The 32532... :-)
--
Jonathan Sweedler  ===  National Semiconductor Israel
UUCP:    ...!{amdahl,hplabs,decwrl}!nsc!taux01!cjosta

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (12/01/88)

in article <18266@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, kirkaas@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) says:

> So, as regards the 80386/68030 -- Which is better? Which is faster?
> Why?

Going all out, I'd expect a 68020 to be slower than an 80386 system, a
68030 to be faster.  The '030 gets a nice boost from internal instruction
and data caches and internal split I and D buses.  To go full speed, though,
an '030 will require faster memory than an 80386 running at the same clock
speed, since the '386 with it's pipelining mechanism allows full speed
operation most of the time with slower memory.  Also, 33MHz versions of the
'030 are shipping, while the fastest available '386 is the 25MHz part.

> I'm really thinking about the NeXT vs. an 80386 based Unix machine.

That's an entirely another question.  Market competition in the PClone
area has resulted in a whole slew of really good '386 systems, with
large external static caches and other performance enhancements.  The NeXT
machine, according to all the stuff I've read at least, is only a moderate
performance 25MHz 68030 system.  For instance, the '030 in the NeXT system
requires 9 clocks to prefetch a cache line of 4 longwords; the 68030 is
capable of doing that in 5 clocks given the proper memory system.  On the
other hand, the 68030 memory management is supposedly a better match to
UNIX than that of the 80386.

An intersting test case of this very question is coming up.  Sun is
supposed to be about ready with a series of '030 based workstations, I
guess pretty much an upgrade of the Sun 3 series.  Comparing the UNIX
performance of one of these to the Sun 386i should be about as equal a
test as you can devise.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

mike@stolaf.UUCP (Mike Haertel) (12/05/88)

In article <5375@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>Going all out, I'd expect a 68020 to be slower than an 80386 system, a
>68030 to be faster.

I disagree.  Working for the GNU project this summer I had an opportunity
to use various 386 and '020 machines and, taking differences of clock
speed, etc. into account I had the impression that the '020 machines
were faster.  I was using the same compiler (gcc) on both architectures.
I believe the main reason the '020 won was simply that it had more
registers available for temporary values for the optimizer.  Eight
registers (as in the 386) is clearly insufficient, and in fact 16 (as in
the '020) is probably not enough.  Maybe 32 would be right?

#if hearsay_evidence_were_admissible_in_court
I vaguely recall hearing of some PC type magazine (not Byte, which
always says the 386 is faster, but maybe Dr. Dobbs?) running various
benchmarks and, however reluctantly, concluding that the '020 was
faster.  Disclaimer: I personally have read no such article, someone
just told me about it.  I don't remember who either.
#endif
--
Mike Haertel					mike@wheaties.ai.mit.edu
			In Hell they run VMS.

rajeevc@mipos2.intel.com (Rajeev Chandrasekhar) (12/05/88)

In article <18266@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> kirkaas@cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) writes:

>So, as regards the 80386/68030 -- Which is better? Which is faster?
The 80386 is better ... :-)

>I'm really thinking about the NeXT vs. an 80386 based Unix machine.
NeXT runs MACH which is more 4.xlike, with the 386 you can run
the sysV/386 which is one of "Products of the year" (courtesy Unix World)
I am not sure how compatible Mach is with Sys V, so you probably want to
find that out ..

#include <disclaimer.h>

>Paul Kirkaas

Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Intel Corp            >> theres someone in my head, and its not me <<
2625, Walsh Ave MS SC4-59                      (408) 765-4632
Santa Clara, CA 95051  {hplabs,oliveb}!intelca!mipos2!rajeevc

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/05/88)

In article <5375@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>Going all out, I'd expect a 68020 to be slower than an 80386 system, a
>68030 to be faster.
Okay, I know that this has been said before. But I get so sick of
this I'll say it again:

Offhand, I expect that things other than the chip will be of more
import comparing those three chips. Like compilers. Like memory
organization. I haven't personally benchmarked any 680x0 systems
other than Macs, which are by any measure slow. But based on
my tests of 386 machines AND COMPILERS and published comparisons,
I'd call it a dead heat. If you're going to compare compiled
programs (as opposed to assembled) you should get a compiler
for each system designed by people WHO HAVE A FINANCIAL INTEREST
IN MAKING THEIR SYSTEM LOOK GOOD.  Gnu C is not a fair test.

(All this was done due to my suffering "workstation envy" until I
got a 32 bit 80386 compiler. Total cure.)

Sorry to fill up the august halls of comp.arch with such drivel.

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (12/06/88)

in article <788@stolaf.UUCP>, mike@stolaf.UUCP (Mike Haertel) says:

> In article <5375@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>Going all out, I'd expect a 68020 to be slower than an 80386 system, a
>>68030 to be faster.

> I disagree.  Working for the GNU project this summer I had an opportunity
> to use various 386 and '020 machines and, taking differences of clock
> speed, etc. into account I had the impression that the '020 machines
> were faster.

One thing I wasn't think of is that many of the existing workstation level
'020 machines have a faster MMU.  Motorola's 68851 is nice from an MMU
function point of view; it can do practically anything you can think of.
But it always adds a wait state to a 68020 memory access.  Perhaps some
of the Sun MMUs deliver performance closer to that of the raw 68020.

Of course, the other factor may be how well each architecture is matched to
the OS it's running with.  I based my guess above mainly on apparent hardware
efficiencies.  I've seen articles that put the '386 ahead of the '020, and
others that switch that around.   No matter what, it looks to be a pretty
close call, and it's probably application dependent when it comes right down
to it.

--

mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) (12/06/88)

> >So, as regards the 80386/68030 -- Which is better? Which is faster?

uh...  You gotta say whether you want a 16, 20, or 25MHz 80386.  How fast
is the memory system? cache?

Besides, what do you want it for, FLOPS or context switches/second (is
there a clever acronym for that?)?

The support hardware probably makes at least as much difference as the CPU.
Since most program(mer)s don't see it (directly), it's easy to forget.

$include(:inc:disclaimer.lit)

bruce@blue.blue.gwd.tek.com (Bruce Robertson) (12/08/88)

> Motorola's 68851 is nice from an MMU
> function point of view; it can do practically anything you can think of.
> But it always adds a wait state to a 68020 memory access.

At this point in time, it's more interesting to compare the 68030 and
the '386.  The 68020 can be classified as obsolete for UNIX
applications, since the built-in MMU in the 68030 doesn't add ANY
delay (except of course when doing table walks), and a 68020/68851
combination will always be more expensive than just a 68030.

The 68020 is still useful for non-MMU applications.

--
	Bruce Robertson
	bruce@blue.gwd.tek.com

sedwards@esunix.UUCP (Scott Edwards) (12/08/88)

In article <5375@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>Going all out, I'd expect a 68020 to be slower than an 80386 system, a
>68030 to be faster.

What does it matter?  What if one is 25% faster than the other one?
His program takes 5 seconds to run instead of 4?  I'll bet that your
average user (assuming there's only one user on the system) couldn't
tell the difference if one CPU was 2X the other one.  How many
programs do you run on a personal computer that are CPU intensive?

For example:  I wrote a program to solve a problem by doing an
exhaustive search on my pc at home (NS32016 @ 6Mhz), it took a little
over 5 minutes to find the solution (about 30 minutes to write and
debug).  Just for curiosity (and a slack moment) I put the program
on the Sun 3 at work the next day to see how much faster it could
solve the problem, after fooling around for a while I got it down
to about a minute and a half, but it took more time to write and
debug.  TOTAL time to get a solution was less for a much slower CPU!

I would decide based on factors like: what am I going to do with it,
what kind of programs are you going to run on it, are you going to
write your own or buy them, how much are they going to cost?

I've also found that faster disks, make a BIG difference in
performance when you are doing things like program development.

From article <788@stolaf.UUCP>, by mike@stolaf.UUCP (Mike Haertel):
> 			In Hell they run VMS.

Hmmm.  Last time I was there they were using UNIX :-).

-- Scott

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (12/09/88)

in article <3283@mipos3.intel.com>, rajeevc@mipos2.intel.com (Rajeev Chandrasekhar) says:
> In article <18266@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> kirkaas@cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) writes:
>>I'm really thinking about the NeXT vs. an 80386 based Unix machine.
> NeXT runs MACH which is more 4.xlike, with the 386 you can run
> the sysV/386 which is one of "Products of the year" (courtesy Unix World)
> I am not sure how compatible Mach is with Sys V, so you probably want to
> find that out ..

Sys V sux. I'm typing this from a 3b2 running Sys V.3 (the
latest/greatest), and while it may have some nice underpinnings
(streams and everything), it's currently missing some of the
best-loved pieces of BSD4.x -- e.g. I can't type "what" or "finger" or
"talk" or "uptime" or .... not to mention that it totally lacks job
control signals, so that if I run something like, say, "shl" to get
the same functionality, my editors don't know they've been
suspended/resumed and thus can't redraw the screen automagically for
me. Not to mention that half of Sys V doesn't understand the
pseudo-ttys that "shl" uses, e.g. good old "write", primitive as it
is, barfs and aborts when I try to run it under "shl".

"Product of the Year" for Bell Technologies Sys V/386 simply signifies
that people are desperate to have Unix, any Unix, on their 386-based
microcomputers, and BSD4.x isn't easily commercially available (need a
lot of resources to port it to new architectures, because so much of
it assumes VAX, and it needs a lot of memory and disk space because,
well, must admit it's a bit of a hog).

Re: 68030 vs. 80386 -- what I'd love to see on the '386 would be a
Multics-like system. The hardware looks so Multics-like... seems a
shame to stuff Unix onto it, Unix which was designed for linear
address spaces, PDP-11s and Vaxen.... Unix in a single segment isn't
exactly taking advantage of the '386's best parts. Unix and the 68030,
on the other hand, were practically made for each other....

--
Eric Lee Green    ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg
          Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191 Lafayette, LA 70509

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (12/10/88)

In article <6360@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:

| Re: 68030 vs. 80386 -- what I'd love to see on the '386 would be a
| Multics-like system. The hardware looks so Multics-like... seems a
| shame to stuff Unix onto it, Unix which was designed for linear
| address spaces, PDP-11s and Vaxen.... Unix in a single segment isn't
| exactly taking advantage of the '386's best parts. Unix and the 68030,
| on the other hand, were practically made for each other....

  I thought of Multics when I first saw the 386. Come on someone,
Multics is certified B2 secure, and it's written in a high level
language. Can't someone see the market for Multic/386? Could it really
be harder to port than UNIX?

  If I could get Multics I think I'd go out and buy another 386 just to
run it. I had a chance at a 645 (the original Multics machine) for the
cost of the copper, but I didn't have a place to put it, and I couldn't
afford a new house and a divorce at the same time ;-)
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (12/10/88)

In article <1146@esunix.UUCP>, sedwards@esunix.UUCP (Scott Edwards) writes:
> In article <5375@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
> >Going all out, I'd expect a 68020 to be slower than an 80386 system, a
> >68030 to be faster.
>
> What does it matter?  What if one is 25% faster than the other one?
> His program takes 5 seconds to run instead of 4?  I'll bet that your
> average user (assuming there's only one user on the system) couldn't
> tell the difference if one CPU was 2X the other one.  How many
> programs do you run on a personal computer that are CPU intensive?
>
> -- Scott

This is the greatest load of codswallop I've seen since IBM introduced the PC!
I sure hope you have nothing to do with the design of future systems *I* might
have to use.  How many programs do *I* run that are compute-bound?  *Tons*
I'd run even more if I had the cycles.  I can sure tell the difference between
an eight-hour compile, and a four-hour compile.  Can you?  Ever tried doing a
logic simulation?  An auto-routed PC layout?  A fast-fourier transform?  A
full-out kernel compilation?  Disk speeds I can get around, with effective
use of track-buffering, block cacheing or elevator algorithms.  If the CPU
don't go, it's a waste of time.  Heck, a one-megabyte RAMDISK ain't that
hard to put in place.  Wanna swap your PC for my 4.77MHz clunker???  Too often,
we generate this ideal of what the average user does with a machine.  Sales
forecasting is an exact science.  When you're finished, it's exactly wrong :-)
						- Der
--
	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (12/14/88)

in article <1146@esunix.UUCP>, sedwards@esunix.UUCP (Scott Edwards) says:

> In article <5375@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>Going all out, I'd expect a 68020 to be slower than an 80386 system, a
>>68030 to be faster.

> What does it matter?  What if one is 25% faster than the other one?
> His program takes 5 seconds to run instead of 4?  I'll bet that your
> average user (assuming there's only one user on the system) couldn't
> tell the difference if one CPU was 2X the other one.  How many
> programs do you run on a personal computer that are CPU intensive?

It all depends on what your limiting factor is.  A computer SYSTEM that's
2x faster than another is going to be noticable.

> I've also found that faster disks, make a BIG difference in
> performance when you are doing things like program development.

Sure enough, I've notice the same thing.  In fact, I very often use the
fastest disk I can possibly get for development -- a RAM disk, at least
during most of the compilation phases.  Guess what, that RAM disk brings
me back to CPU speed as the most critical factor in the system (the 18ms
hard drive doesn't hurt, either).

My posting was basically in response to the question of "who's faster",
without really caring for the reason.  And in many case, you can't do
anything about it.  Even if I found an 80386 or (more likely) some other
chip that was faster than a 68030, I couldn't use it in the systems I
design.  Similarly, if you want to run MS-DOS or OS/2, a 68030 isn't going
to do you much good.  We did mention UNIX, which will run on just about
anything, but in most case UNIX may not be your only, or even primary,
concern.

And of course, it's just basic human nature to want to be the fastest guy
on the block.

> From article <788@stolaf.UUCP>, by mike@stolaf.UUCP (Mike Haertel):
>> 			In Hell they run VMS.

> Hmmm.  Last time I was there they were using UNIX :-).

No.  In Hell, they run MS-DOS.  And you only get 256k.

--

aglew@mcdurb.Urbana.Gould.COM (12/16/88)

>Sure enough, I've notice the same thing.  In fact, I very often use the
>fastest disk I can possibly get for development -- a RAM disk, at least
>during most of the compilation phases.  Guess what, that RAM disk brings
>me back to CPU speed as the most critical factor in the system (the 18ms
>hard drive doesn't hurt, either).

Not quite. The RAMdisk brings you back to memory system speed.
Many modern CPUs are faster than their memory.

mark@UNIX386.Convergent.COM (Mark Nudelman) (12/17/88)

In article <6360@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
> Sys V sux. I'm typing this from a 3b2 running Sys V.3 (the
> latest/greatest), and while it may have some nice underpinnings
> (streams and everything), it's currently missing some of the
> best-loved pieces of BSD4.x -- e.g. I can't type "what" or "finger" or
> "talk" or "uptime" or ....

That's funny... I'm running SVR3 and I can type "what" or "finger"
or "talk" or "uptime".

It says "what: not found",  "finger: not found", ....

:-)

> not to mention that it totally lacks job
> control signals, so that if I run something like, say, "shl" to get
> the same functionality, my editors don't know they've been
> suspended/resumed and thus can't redraw the screen automagically for
> me. Not to mention that half of Sys V doesn't understand the
> pseudo-ttys that "shl" uses, e.g. good old "write", primitive as it
> is, barfs and aborts when I try to run it under "shl".

I think job control is one of the most important features SysV is
missing.  At least it will be in SVR4.

Too bad the rest of the BSD crud will be as well.  :-(

Mark Nudelman
{sun,decwrl,ihnp4!hplabs}!pyramid!ctnews!UNIX386!mark

	I never said it.

lm@snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) (12/18/88)

In article <6360@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
> Sys V sux. I'm typing this from a 3b2 running Sys V.3 (the

I'd have to disagree with that statement.  I've worked on both Sys5 and BSD
based boxes as a kernel hack for several years.  The Vr3 kernel is fairly
clean and easy to work with.   I'd like to say the same for the BSD kernel
but everyone would die laughing.

Furthermore, from a user's viewpoint, if you add one of the (now) common
TCP/IP packages to your SysV box, you end up with 99% of what you want.  For
my money, you can't beat a 386 box running sys5 + tcp/ip + X.  Bang for the
buck, that leaves everyone else in the dust.

Larry McVoy      		(lm@sun.com)		 My opinions are that.

yap@hammer.me.toronto.edu () (12/20/88)

In article <213@UNIX386.Convergent.COM> mark@UNIX386.Convergent.COM (Mark Nudelman) writes:
>In article <6360@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) writes:
>> Sys V sux. I'm typing this from a 3b2 running Sys V.3 (the

Sad, but true.

>I think job control is one of the most important features SysV is
>missing.  At least it will be in SVR4.
>
>Too bad the rest of the BSD crud will be as well.  :-(

You're joking.  Right?  Else, you've never had the PLEASURE of working with
a NETWORK of bsd machines.  Never experienced the freedom of being able to
flit between machines and files systems, with no more bother than a keystroke
or two.  Never had the chance to ... ad infinitum.

>Mark Nudelman
>{sun,decwrl,ihnp4!hplabs}!pyramid!ctnews!UNIX386!mark

 +------------------------------------+
 |         LIVE FREE OR DIE!          |
 |                                    |
 |  BBBBBBB      SSSSS    DDDDDDD     |
 |  B      B    S     S   D      D    |
 |  B      B     S        D       D   |
 |  BBBBBBB       SS      D       D   |
 |  B      B        S     D       D   |
 |  B       B        S    D       D   |
 |  B       B   S     S   D      D    |
 |  BBBBBBBB     SSSSS    DDDDDDD     |
 |                                    |
 |         LIVE FREE OR DIE!          |
 +------------------------------------+

In article <2014.1988Dec20.02:50:05@hammer.me.toronto.edu>, yap@hammer.me.toronto.edu writes:
> You're joking.  Right?  Else, you've never had the PLEASURE of working with
> a NETWORK of bsd machines.  Never experienced the freedom of being able to
> flit between machines and files systems, with no more bother than a keystroke
> or two.  Never had the chance to ... ad infinitum.

Well, I'm using such a network right now. However, it's a network of
System *III* machines, though we're going to be adding some SV boxes
later on.

BSD != Network.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.