[comp.arch] Size of Plain Text

greggy@infmx.UUCP (greg yachuk) (12/23/88)

In article <357@ispi.UUCP> jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>In article <46500040@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>> I still think plain text posting would be better.
>
>Plain text would  use between 2 and 3 times as much bandwidth as compressed.

Well, we've been over this many times in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  My current
understanding is that files automatically get compressed during transmission,
and are automatically decompressed while being received.  Compressing a
compressed or uuencoded file results in a much larger file than compressing
a text file.  In essence, compressing a text file before sending ends up
using much more bandwidth than just sending the original text file itself.

(I hope I have that right...)

>Jonathan Bayer
>Intelligent Software Products, Inc.

	-greg

Greg Yachuk	Informix Software Inc., Menlo Park, CA	(415) 322-4100
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!greggy	why yes, I DID choose that login myself