[comp.arch] Cray SECDED

mjt@super.ORG (Michael J. Tighe) (12/23/88)

In article <2523@ficc.uu.net> karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) writes:
>The Cray line has error correction/double error detection, an innovation
>(not pioneered by them) that buys a good deal more than parity detection
>alone, hence it's in there.

This is not a flame, but the original Cray 1 (Serial Number 1), did
not have SECDED. It did have parity checking.

If you pay close attention to the line of machines he designed, (and
the features they have and don't have) you can learn a lot about what
he thought would speed up or slow down his machines.
--
-------------
Michael Tighe

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (01/01/89)

In article <2523@ficc.uu.net> karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) writes:
>The Cray line has error correction/double error detection, an innovation
>(not pioneered by them) that buys a good deal more than parity detection
>alone, hence it's in there.

I'm fairly certain that the Cyber 170/760 that I worked on (designed by
Seymour himself) had SECDED.  Seymour may have done the "innovation," but
not Cray Research Inc.

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "Merry Christmas, drive carefully and have some great sex."
seanf@sco.UUCP   |     -- Art Hoppe

fisher@Alliant.COM (Larry Fisher) (01/03/89)

In article <1992@scolex> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
>I'm fairly certain that the Cyber 170/760 that I worked on (designed by
>Seymour himself) had SECDED.  Seymour may have done the "innovation," but
>not Cray Research Inc.

Seymour's involvement with the the design of the 170/760 did *NOT* include the
central memory.  The CPU of the 760 was lifted from the 7600: the modules are
*identical*.  The memory system of the 170/760 was designed after Seymour
left CDC.  BTW, the later CYBER 180/865, announced in 1982, was an "improved"
170/760 in that it permitted 1M words of memory.  None of the modifications
to the the 7600-type CPU in the 180/865 were done by Seymour.

"Just an old bit of CYBER DATA to chew on..."

--
Larry Fisher				Domain:	fisher@alliant.com
Alliant Computer Systems		UUCP:	{linus}!alliant!fisher