[comp.arch] Cray Quotations

rgb@sequent.UUCP (Bob Bond) (12/21/88)

I have heard "Parity is for farmers" attributed to Cray.
Does anyone know if this is accurate?

karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) (12/22/88)

In article <8841@sequent.UUCP>, rgb@sequent.UUCP (Bob Bond) writes:
> I have heard "Parity is for farmers" attributed to Cray.
> Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I know the CDC 6600, Cyber 70 and 170 series machines did not have parity.
From what I heard Seymour felt that parity didn't buy much -- detection
of a parity error meant death for the running program at the least and
maybe even for the OS.  There was always the chance that the parity error
would occur in the parity bit, causing a parity error when there was
no actual data error.

The Cray line has error correction/double error detection, an innovation
(not pioneered by them) that buys a good deal more than parity detection
alone, hence it's in there.

Disclaimer:  It was a long time ago, far far away, and may have been
 apocryphal to begin with.

Another Seymour quote:
	"Thank heaven for startups.  Without them there'd never be any
	innovation."
--
-- uunet!ficc!karl	"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
-- karl@ficc.uu.net	encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without

smcmahon@watvlsi.waterloo.edu (Scott H. McMahon) (12/22/88)

In article <8841@sequent.UUCP> rgb@sequent.UUCP (Bob Bond) writes:
>I have heard "Parity is for farmers" attributed to Cray.
>Does anyone know if this is accurate?

I believe this to be true, only because the person who first told
it to me had the "honour" of working with him (and I to this person).

He believed that Seymour meant that parity is just the first line
of defence and that the whole system should be made super reliable.
Those who rely soley on parity are "farmers". This may not be the
case but is a nice rule to follow.. especially after the quote
posted to the net referring to how he isn't cost driven when designing
a computer.

Just my opinions anyhow...

-Scott

--
 S.H. McMahon - 4A Electrical Engineering - University of Waterloo
 UUCP  : {allegra,decvax,utzoo,clyde,uunet}!watmath!watvlsi!smcmahon

bga@raspail.UUCP (Bruce Albrecht) (12/22/88)

In article <2523@ficc.uu.net>, karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) writes:
> I know the CDC 6600, Cyber 70 and 170 series machines did not have parity.
> From what I heard Seymour felt that parity didn't buy much -- detection
> of a parity error meant death for the running program at the least and
> maybe even for the OS.  There was always the chance that the parity error
> would occur in the parity bit, causing a parity error when there was
> no actual data error.

The Cyber 170s have single error correction, double error detection.  The
170s also had parity on the channels, extended memory and the PPs.  I think
most of the design (if not all) for the 170s were done after Cray left CDC,
so maybe that was a factor.

bron@bronze.SGI.COM (Bron Campbell Nelson) (12/23/88)

In article <2523@ficc.uu.net>, karl@ficc.uu.net (karl lehenbauer #) writes:
> Another Seymour quote:
> 	"Thank heaven for startups.  Without them there'd never be any
> 	innovation."

My favorite (undoubtably apocryphal and wrongly attributed) quote
is his comment on virtual memory:
	"Memory is like orgasm.  It's a lot better if you don't
	have to fake it."

--
Bron Campbell Nelson
bron@sgi.com  or possibly  ..!ames!sgi!bron

bron@bronze.SGI.COM (Bron Campbell Nelson) (12/24/88)

In article <4148@watvlsi.waterloo.edu>, smcmahon@watvlsi.waterloo.edu (Scott H. McMahon) writes:
> In article <8841@sequent.UUCP> rgb@sequent.UUCP (Bob Bond) writes:
> >I have heard "Parity is for farmers" attributed to Cray.
> >Does anyone know if this is accurate?
>
> He believed that Seymour meant that parity is just the first line
> of defence and that the whole system should be made super reliable.
> Those who rely soley on parity are "farmers".

Sorry.  "Parity" is a term used in the U.S. regarding government
price supports for farm goods.  Thus, this is actually a pretty good
pun.

--
Bron Campbell Nelson
bron@sgi.com  or possibly  ..!ames!sgi!bron

urjlew@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (12/26/88)

But there is also supposed to be a follow-u[ quote made later
when he put parity back in
something like
[But farmers buy lots of my computers]
refering perhaps to the senators who voted appropriations
for the goverment agencies that buy his creations.

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (12/26/88)

>> He believed that Seymour meant that parity is just the first line
>> of defence and that the whole system should be made super reliable.
>> Those who rely soley on parity are "farmers".
>
>Sorry.  "Parity" is a term used in the U.S. regarding government
>price supports for farm goods.  Thus, this is actually a pretty good
>pun.

More on parity: When Jimmy Carter was president, the farmers lobbied
for price supports to achieve "parity", that is, "We should be allowed
to make the same kinds of profits we made in the early 1970's (or
whenever)".  I was under the impression that in the early 70's, the
farmers made more percentage profits than at any other time in the
history of the U.S., and that the argument was selfish/bogus.

That's why I don't understand Seymour's joke.  I thought that "asking
for parity" was an unreasonably selfish request.  It turns out that
"asking for parity" is asking for too little, or at least, asking for
the wrong thing.

If this is all true, then it's not *THAT* great of a pun.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

jml@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) (01/04/89)

>>> Those who rely soley on parity are "farmers".
>>Sorry.  "Parity" is a term used in the U.S. regarding government
>>price supports for farm goods.  Thus, this is actually a pretty good
>>pun.
>More on parity: When Jimmy Carter was president, the farmers lobbied
>for price supports to achieve "parity", that is, "We should be allowed
>to make the same kinds of profits we made in the early 1970's (or
>whenever)".

Ahem. For all you city boys out there, parity refers to the relationship
in price between a bushel of wheat and a barrel of oil, fixed at
some point in the late sixties/early seventies. It does NOT refer to
prices supports/subsidies except in the sense that they might be
used to achieve parity.

Michael Lodman  (619) 485-3335
Advanced Development NCR Corporation E&M San Diego
mike.lodman@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM
{sdcsvax,cbatt,dcdwest,nosc.ARPA}!ncr-sd!ivory!jml

3ksnn64@pur-ee.UUCP (Joe Cychosz) (01/09/89)

In article <616@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> jml@ivory.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Michael Lodman) writes:

>Ahem. For all you city boys out there, parity refers to the relationship
>in price between a bushel of wheat and a barrel of oil, fixed at
>some point in the late sixties/early seventies.
Actually the fix point is the price relationships of farm goods verse
the cost of goods used for farming (for example oil as you have said)
in the year 1914.