[comp.arch] The scoop on the 80960

jac@paul.rutgers.edu (Jonathan A. Chandross) (01/10/89)

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) writes:

>One particularly interesting aspect of the three versions of the 960 is
>that, at this point, they are all the same chip!  Intel doesn't like to
>admit that, but I have it on good authority that it is true.  In the future,
>of course, they may create subset designs that don't have all the features,
>and even now, all features may not be tested in the simpler "versions."

>It seems that Intel is not documenting the MMU functions for commercial
>users because they don't want to support those functions, and they don't
>want the chip to be used in computers anyway -- the 960 is supposed to
>be for embedded control.  Nevertheless, Intel has UNIX running on the 960
>internally.

My source for the following information is the designer of what later became the
Intel 80960.   When the 80960 was announced I pointed it out to someone I used
to work with, saying something like "well, Intel's finally gone into the RISC
business." He replied that, no, Intel was not going into the RISC business.  He
said that he recognized the chip as one of his designs, and it was no RISC
chip.

He told me that he was at Intel about five years ago and was part of a team
that designed a very powerful fault tolerant machine.  The central processors
were very very CISCy and had a very parallel internal architecture.  The I/O
processor chips were single chip microcoded channel controllers which were far
more powerful that the IOPs that Intel was selling at the time.

Anyway, it seems that Intel shelved the project but decided that the processors
could be sold on the open market.  However, the processors made the 80386 look
like the dinosaur it really is.  This meant that the sales of the 80386 might
be "negatively impacted" (to use Pentagon speak), an obvious no-no.

So Intel decided to cut out most of the hardware on the data path, remove any
architectural parallelism, and in general to cripple the chip in such a way
that the sales of the 80386 were safe.

This is why those amazing features keep "cropping up".  It's not that those
wily engineers at Intel are staying up late to put those features in; it's
that the marketing folk are finally allowing them back in.

Jonathan A. Chandross
ARPA: jac@paul.rutgers.edu
UUCP: rutgers!jac@paul.rutgers.edu

mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) (01/14/89)

From article <Jan.9.23.41.33.1989.22919@paul.rutgers.edu>, by jac@paul.rutgers.edu (Jonathan A. Chandross):
> He told me that he was at Intel about five years ago and was part of a team
> that designed a very powerful fault tolerant machine.  The central processors
> were very very CISCy and had a very parallel internal architecture.  The I/O
> processor chips were single chip microcoded channel controllers which were far
> more powerful that the IOPs that Intel was selling at the time.
>
> Anyway, it seems that Intel shelved the project but decided that the processors
> could be sold on the open market.  However, the processors made the 80386 look
> like the dinosaur it really is.  This meant that the sales of the 80386 might
> be "negatively impacted" (to use Pentagon speak), an obvious no-no.
>
> So Intel decided to cut out most of the hardware on the data path, remove any
> architectural parallelism, and in general to cripple the chip in such a way
> that the sales of the 80386 were safe.

Rumor around here has it that the difference between the 80960 CPU chip
and the CPU chip used in the new Biin (Intel/Siemens joint venture)
fault-tolerant machines is one or two bond wires on the same die.

--
Mike Butts, Research Engineer         KC7IT           503-626-1302
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton OR 97005