[comp.arch] Sony NEWS, was DECstation 3100 info.

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (01/17/89)

In article <VIXIE.89Jan16222617@bacchus.pa.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul A Vixie) writes:
>[Harris]
># SunOS runs on Sony hardware?  That's news to me....
>
>Have you heard of the Sony NEWS workstation?  Confusing name, I know, but it
>sounds like a neat box.  Dual 68020's, one for I/O.  Guess who did their OS?

Sony did.  I looked at one a few months ago.  The operating system is
derived from 4.3bsd with X windows, NFS, and all the usual acronyms, but
they specifically told me that it does not run Sun binaries.  Evidently
there's some difference in the memory mapping.

It's a reasonable machine and quite popular in Japan (some of the man
pages were in Japanese which looked pretty good on the screen.)  They
sell only through VARs in the U.S.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something