[comp.arch] "big endian" and "little endian"

earl@wright.mips.com (Earl Killian) (01/06/89)

The thing I like about little endian is that for fixed point
arithmetic, the point is in a fixed place. :-)
--
UUCP: {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!earl
USPS: MIPS Computer Systems, 930 Arques Ave, Sunnyvale CA, 94086

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (01/06/89)

In article <10728@wright.mips.COM>, earl@wright.mips.com (Earl Killian) writes:
> The thing I like about little endian is that for fixed point
> arithmetic, the point is in a fixed place. :-)

I agree that this is the case for integer arithmetic, but for fixed point
arithmetic (binary numbers between 0 and 1, for example), the point is in
a fixed place in big endian, but not little endian.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

alderson@polya.Stanford.EDU (Rich Alderson) (01/24/89)

"four and twenty blackbirds" was a MARKED construction even when the poem was
new, used by the poet for its rhythmical structure and markedness.  Marked
constructions such as this are interesting for what they say about the unmarked
ones; they don't provide counter-arguments to claims based on the unmarked
ones.

Rich Alderson
Stanford University