[comp.arch] Wanted: SPARC machine language prog

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (01/11/89)

A SPARC architecture book is probably a company's internal publication,
and not from a professional publisher.

For this reason, you're unlikely to find it in "Books in Print".
You're looking for something roughly akin to "The TTL Databook", which
I bet isn't in there either.

Generally, you need to write to the company, or to write/call its major
distributer (Hamilton-Avnet in the case of Motorola) to get these data
books.  A few sophisticated technical bookstores (The Computer
Literacy Bookstore) can move enough books to deal with the electronics
manufacturer / distributer.

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

shap@bagels.UUCP (Jon Shapiro) (01/12/89)

In article <76700061@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>A SPARC architecture book is probably a company's internal publication,
>and not from a professional publisher.

I believe that the SPARC processor manual is now available from Sun,
and perhaps from AT&T as well (not sure).  It covers both general
processor architecture and assembly language.

Jon Shapiro
AT&T Bell Laboratories

phil@aimt.UU.NET (Phil Gustafson) (01/14/89)

In article <108@bagels.UUCP>, shap@bagels.UUCP (Jon Shapiro) writes:
> I believe that the SPARC processor manual is now available from Sun,

Our Sun-4 included two manuals of possible interest.  "A RISC(tm) Tutorial"
(PN 800-1795-10, Rev. A, 9 May 1988) combines a very simple architectural
description with some computer history and marketing puffery. The
"Sun-4(tm) Assembly Language Reference Manual" (PN 800-1788-10, Rev. A,
9 May 1988) is a very spartan edition of what its title suggests.

The latter document lists the "SPARC Architecture Reference Manual"
as a reference, but no such manual appeared with our machine.

(Sun, Sun-4, and SPARC are trademarks of Sun Microsystems.  They seem to
think RISC is, too, although they also seem to claim so only in the title
mentioned above.)
--
Opinions outside attributed quotations are mine alone.
Satirical material may not be labeled as such.

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (01/17/89)

Re: SPARC reference

Sun does publish the SPARC Architecture Reference Manual, but as far as I
know they do not accept single copy orders.  You can get it at
Computer Literacy in Sunnyvale, and our company sells it by mail ($25 plus
2.50 s+h in US, $10 s+h outside US).  It may be possible to get a version
of it free from Fujitsu, Cypress, or TI if you are a customer of theirs.
If you want to order it from us, you can send me email with credit card
info.

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report
550 California Ave., Suite 320
Palo Alto, CA 94306
415/494-2677  Fax: 415/494-3718
mslater@cup.portal.com   please include your US mail address in any email

garner@gaas.Sun.COM (Robert Garner) (01/24/89)

>  Re: SPARC reference
>
>  Sun does publish the SPARC Architecture Reference Manual, but as far as I
>  know they do not accept single copy orders.

We do accept single copy orders.  The SPARC Architecture* Manual can be
had from Sun's Telemarketing group at 1-800-USA-4SUN (prompt 6).
Ask for document #800-1399.  The price is $30.00.

We're in the process of updating the Manual.  I'll try to post a message
when a new version is available.

	- Robert Garner

*  Yes, the phrase "SPARC Architecture" is redundant.  Somebody in
documentation had mumbled something about trademarking adjectives vs. nouns.