[comp.arch] Bubbles

phipps@garth.UUCP (Clay Phipps) (01/14/89)

In article <248@vlsi.ll.mit.edu> young@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (George Young) writes:
>...a new kind of computer memory unit --
>something we hope might fill in the present gap in memory speed and price
>between magnetic disk and ram.
>...resulting in access time of maybe ~10 microseconds.
>So we are left with a box that is:
>	capacity of a few hundred megabytes,
>	word addressable,
>	much faster access than disk,
>	much slower than ram,
>	and around the same price as disk.
>It also should be smaller, lighter, and more rugged than disk.

Sounds to me like a lot of what bubble memory was expected
in the late 1970s to be able to be used for.

Bubble memory is nonvolatile.
I was convinced then that by now, computer users would be carrying
around bubble-memory cartridges encased in epoxy (or the like)
the way people now carry floppy disks around.

The price may not have been right at the time, but
technology advances were expected to take care of that.
The major concern, as I recall, was that in the late 1970s,
the error rate for bubbles was decimal orders of magnitude
worse than disks.  And disks kept getting better and better.

What ever happened to bubble memory, anyhow ?

--
[The foregoing may or may not represent the position, if any, of my employer]

Clay Phipps                       {ingr,pyramid,sri-unix!hplabs}!garth!phipps
Intergraph APD, 2400#4 Geng Road, Palo Alto, CA 93403            415/494-8800

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (01/15/89)

In article <2409@garth.UUCP>, phipps@garth.UUCP (Clay Phipps) writes:

> Bubble memory is nonvolatile. [...]
>
> The major concern, as I recall, was that in the late 1970s,
> the error rate for bubbles was decimal orders of magnitude
> worse than disks.  And disks kept getting better and better.
>
> What ever happened to bubble memory, anyhow ?

[warning: vague memory alert here.  It's been a while...]

I worked on a bubble memory system back when I was at Telxon and
Intel was in the bubble memory business.  Their controller was
not so hard to use, but remember that bubbles are not random-
access.  Bubble memories are organized as lots of circular
storage loops, and an electromagnet embedded in the bubble unit
shifts all the loops around in step with a clock.

            _____ your data here
          _|_
         /   \   _________________________________
         |   |__/                                 \
         |   |  \_________________________________/
         |   |   _________________________________
         |   |__/                                 \
         |   |  \______________________A__________/
         |   |
         ~   ~   _________________________________
         |   |__/                                 \
         |   |  \_________________________________/
         \___/

        transfer           storage loops
          loop

(I don't know if these are the right terms, but I'll use them
assuming they are).  For example, to get the data marked "A"
above, you shift all the loops around until A is at the transfer
point, and then move the data to the transfer loop.  Then rotate
the transfer loop around until your data is at the output point, a
bit at a time (the controller turned it into a byte stream).

There were lots and lots of loops -- hundreds or thousands -- and
they all had synchronization patterns embedded so you could find
the "start" of the loop in case you powered down in the middle of
a rotation.  These are easiest to use if you pick some pagesize
that is probably related to the number of storage loops, so that
each bit in your page goes in a different loop, but I'm really
unsure about this.

The bubble memories themselves were about an inch and a half
square, maybe a quarter inch thick, and they had a heavy case
that held the magnet.  The controller took a lot of power (I
think it was NMOS), as did the bipolar drivers.

I believe that bubble memories are inherently rad-hard, but not
necessarily the controller chips.  I really don't believe,
though, that they were "decimal orders of magnitude" less
reliable than disks (Clay *did* say late 70's, and my
use was in 1981).  If anything, I would guess it's the other
way around.

Texas Instruments and Hitachi (and maybe others) had bubble
chipsets, but I know nothing about them.  Intel spun off/sold
their bubble unit to another company, I think something like
Magnesys, and I think they are in Sacramento.

We never went ahead with the project because CMOS static RAM was
coming down in price, and the power requirements for the bubbles
was just to onerous for a handheld unit. Too bad, I was really
getting into my little 8051 design lab :-(.  After that, I started
writing compilers and it marked the end of my hardware career --
double :-(.

I'm really digging deep to come up with this info.  Anybody out
there remember better than me?  Flames are welcome if you must.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl@vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.        I speak for me only      attmail!vsi!friedl

king@client2.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (01/16/89)

In article <2409@garth.UUCP> phipps@garth.UUCP (Clay Phipps) writes:

>The price may not have been right at the time, but
>technology advances were expected to take care of that.
>The major concern, as I recall, was that in the late 1970s,
>the error rate for bubbles was decimal orders of magnitude
>worse than disks.  And disks kept getting better and better.
>
>What ever happened to bubble memory, anyhow ?

Intel sold its bubble stuff to MemTech, who are still in business. I
started with bubbles a few years ago and read that the error rate was (is)
orders of magnitude BETTER than hard discs. Anyway, I built an S-100
interface for 2 fixed bubbles and a removeable pack to replace an old 8"
disc drive. The equipment still performs flawlessly after several years of
being kicked half way around the world and back (quite literally). I think
that the only other player in the bubble world is Fujitsu, although there
is a Canadian company (Ottawa area) that still markets bubble systems. One
thing is for sure: seek times and data rate are MUCH faster than floppies.

--
  {utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!zorac!dretor!king  or  king%dretor@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca
  Stephen J King   =-=   DCIEM Human Factors Division   =-=   (416) 635-2149

jhunt@omews3.intel.com (Jim Hunt) (01/17/89)

In article <1012@vsi.COM> friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <2409@garth.UUCP>, phipps@garth.UUCP (Clay Phipps) writes:
>>
>> Bubble memory is nonvolatile. [...]
>> (stuff deleted)
>> What ever happened to bubble memory, anyhow ?
>
>[warning: vague memory alert here.  It's been a while...]
>
>I worked on a bubble memory system back when I was at Telxon and
>Intel was in the bubble memory business.
>
>(bunch of mostly correct info on Intel bubble architecture deleted)

Boy, this brings back memories ... the first project I worked on out of
school was the sense amp & controller circuits for Intel's 1 Mb
bubble chip ...

But that's not to the point.  Bubbles suffered from cost/bit deficiencies
compared to mechanical magnetic media (i.e., Winchester disks), nor did they
compare well in access times.  Error rates were not a major problem.
Not being able to compete in the mass storage market (high cost, medium
performance == no customers) limited them to relatively small niche markets,
particularly harsh environment type applications.  Bubbles are still around
but you have to look hard for them.  The packages got a lot smaller when the
4 Mb chips came out.  Anybody know if anyone is producing a 16 Mb bubble
yet?

Strictly my own opinions here, the company disavows any knowledge of me.

Jim Hunt
Intel Corp.

kds@blabla.intel.com (Ken Shoemaker) (01/18/89)

Another thing that needs to be said about bubble memories was that they (at
least the ones I worked with) had rather slow transfer times.
------------
I've decided to take George Bush's advice and watch his press conferences
	with the sound turned down...			-- Ian Shoales
Ken Shoemaker, Microprocessor Design, Intel Corp., Santa Clara, California
uucp: ...{hplabs|decwrl|pur-ee|hacgate|oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!kds

kleinman@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Bruce Kleinman) (01/19/89)

+-------
| > What ever happened to bubble memory, anyhow ?
| [ stuff from other sources deleted ]
|
| But that's not to the point.
| [ lots of completely valid reasons deleted ]
| Strictly my own opinions here, the company disavows any knowledge of me.
|
| Jim Hunt
| Intel Corp.
+-------
The company (Intel) disavowed any knowledge of bubble memories, as well.  The
1 Mbit and 4 Mbit products were cancelled with *zero* advance notification to
customers.  This sort of thing does not do wonders for bubble's reputation.

king@client2.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (01/20/89)

In article <2816@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> kleinman@hplabsz.UUCP (Bruce Kleinman) writes:
>The company (Intel) disavowed any knowledge of bubble memories, as well.  The
>1 Mbit and 4 Mbit products were cancelled with *zero* advance notification to
>customers.  This sort of thing does not do wonders for bubble's reputation.

Yeah. Does even less for Intel's reputation.
Prior to this, bubble memory was the only Intel product I could use
without feeling ill.

Need I mention that these are (only) my opinions?
--

bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) (01/21/89)

> What ever happened to bubble memory, anyhow ?

This weeks Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine has a three page
article on a company called Magnesys that manufactures a Bubble memory
system that mimics a 5.25 inch 720K floppy disk drive. The "drive"
costs around $600 and each Bubble memory cartridge costs around $500
in large quantities.

			Bob P.
--
              Bob Pendleton, speaking only for myself.
UUCP Address:  decwrl!esunix!bpendlet or utah-cs!esunix!bpendlet

		Reality is what you make of it.

tiwary@hpsrli.HP.COM (Ashutosh Tiwary) (01/21/89)

 BTW, does any one still use bubbles. I would suspect that between
 EEPROMs, cheap RAM (?) and reliable magnetic/optical media, there
 would'nt be much demand for them any more. Any ideas what it is used in
 these days?

 - Ashutosh Tiwary
 tiwary%hpnmd@hp-sde.hp.com

olson@anchor.SGI.COM (Dave Olson) (01/22/89)

Yes, they are are still used; see the 16 Jan 89 Aviation Week
and Space Tech.  Magnesys is selling 'drives' with 720Kbyte
cartridges using bubble memory (note that the capacity is
the same as 96tpi 5 1/4" floppies).

It's going to be used by the military in a battlefield
terminal system with a winchester disk for primary storage.

The price given was ~$700 for the drive and $500 for each
720K cartridge.
--
	Dave Olson

It's important to keep an open mind, but not so open
that your brains fall out. -- Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.

curry@garth.UUCP (Ray Curry) (01/25/89)

The last I heard, one of the Japanese manufacturers had bought up the
remaining US product line and was producing them.  Bubbles were never
competitive in size, cost, or speed, but were desireable where ruggedness
to shock and radiation were desireable (or electrostatic shock).  NSC's
group had a very nice looking cartridge in the lines of an Atari game
cartridge.  I think Fujitsu had something similar.