[comp.arch] Cache models and program behavior references

dkirk@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Dave Kirk) (01/31/89)

In article <4122@pt.cs.cmu.edu> dkirk@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Dave Kirk) writes:
>I am looking for references to techniques for modelling memory access
>patterns and approximate cache hit (miss) rates.  I'd like to reduce
>specific access strings to a few parameters which could be used to
>determine approximate cache hit (miss) rates.
>
>I know of at least two such techniques.  A fractal model was proposed
>by Thiebaut (1987), and models a fully associative cache hit rate using
>four program parameters.  Another approach was proposed by Strecker
>(1983) in which he modified a linear approach presented by Saltzer (1974).
>Strecker's approach derived two parameters by measuring the program
>miss rate in a large and small cache.  These parameters can then be
>used to calculate the miss rate for any other cache size.

OK, most of the replies I received regarding cache models were
requesting info on the two models I mentioned and anything else
I found out.  "Enclosed" are the references I cited.  One reply
I received did mention that Harold Stone's book on High-Preformance
Computer Architectures has additional references.

Thiebaut: (Fractals)

    Author = "Dominique F. Thiebaut",
    Title  = "Models of Cache Behavior",
    Note   = "Ph. D. Thesis",
    School = "University of Massachusetts",
    Year   = "1987"

    Author	= "D. F. Thiebaut, H. S. Stone, and J. L. Wolf",
    Title	= "A Theory of Cache Behavior",
    Institution	= "IBM Research Division, Yorktown, NY",
    Year	= "1987"
    Note	= "Research Report - RC 13309 (#59338)"

Strecker (linear):

    Author	= "William D. Strecker",
    Title	= "Transient Behavior of Cache Memories",
    Journal	= "ACM Transactions on Computer Systems",
    Volume	= "1",
    Number	= "4",
    Month	= "Nov",
    Year	= "1983",
    Pages	= "281-293"

I am still interested in other references on modelling!

(replies can still be sent to above account, or kirk@maxwell.ece.cmu.edu)

--

ram@shukra.Sun.COM (Renu Raman) (01/31/89)

In article <4151@pt.cs.cmu.edu> dkirk@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Dave Kirk) writes:

>OK, most of the replies I received regarding cache models were
>requesting info on the two models I mentioned and anything else
>I found out.  "Enclosed" are the references I cited.  One reply
>I received did mention that Harold Stone's book on High-Preformance
>Computer Architectures has additional references.
>
>Thiebaut: (Fractals)
>
>    Author = "Dominique F. Thiebaut",
>    Title  = "Models of Cache Behavior",
>    Note   = "Ph. D. Thesis",
>    School = "University of Massachusetts",
>    Year   = "1987"
>
>    Author	= "D. F. Thiebaut, H. S. Stone, and J. L. Wolf",
>    Title	= "A Theory of Cache Behavior",
>    Institution	= "IBM Research Division, Yorktown, NY",
>    Year	= "1987"
>    Note	= "Research Report - RC 13309 (#59338)"

	                                                ,
    Another "interesting to read paper" is (again by Thiebaut)
    "From the fractal dimension of the intermiss gaps to the cache-miss
    ratio" in IBM Res. & Dev. Vol 32 (Nov 1988).

Renu Raman