[comp.arch] MP Serializability

cquenel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (86 more school days) (02/05/89)

In article <1120@l.cc.purdue.edu> cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) writes:

	[sometimes machine language is necessary]

>Herman Rubin, Dept. of Statistics, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette IN47907
>Phone: (317)494-6054
>hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

	I think you missed the point of my original posting.

	Simply put, my statement was that programmers should TRY
	not to write code that depends on language/compiler behaviours
	that ARE NOT in the language definition.

	For instance :
		Depending on "Register variables" actually getting
		put in registers.

		Expecting an assignment to a global variable
		to result in a store to memory.

	Things like this.

	A portable, well-designed C program uses only the C
	virtual machine.  It is bound by the rules and semantics
	of the C language.  If I want to run a C program on a
	machine whose hardware directly supports it, with NO registers
	and NO memory, it should still work.  The underlaying
	hardware could work on MAGIC, for all the programmer
	knows, and his program should still work.

	(I realize this should be in conmp.lang.c, and I have
	directed followups there.  Sorry for the disturbance
	in comp.arch  :-)

	--chris
--
\. ./  |Chris Quenelle (The First Lab Rat) cquenel@polyslo.calpoly.edu |  \. ./