[comp.arch] risc object sizes; emperical results

schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (02/10/89)

In article <21606@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, lamaster@ames (Hugh LaMaster) writes:
>I notice that, recently, some results from the GNU compiler on some RISC's
>has been a challenge to the object code size of VAX code.  Obviously, GNU
>is doing something interesting there.  Does anyone know why the code from
>the GNU C compiler appears to be significantly more compact than other
>compilers on the RISC machines?

Which RISCs did you notice this on?  My experience with gcc-1.33 on a
SPARC (sun4) is that Sun's compiler generates smaller and faster code.
A brief look at the assembler output shows that gcc generates lots of
nops where Sun's compiler generates annuled branches, although it
doesn't do this in every case.
--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (02/11/89)

In article <4280@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:
>Which RISCs did you notice this on?  My experience with gcc-1.33 on a

Well, in looking back at my references, the data are incomplete.  But, I
seem to recall now that in this newsgroup a few months ago the folks from
Motorola were using gcc generated code for code speed and size comparisons
but I don't remember the details.  So, please let me retract my statement:
it appears to be speculation at this point.  I believe that Sun has made
substantial improvements over their early release for Sparc also.

--
  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov