[comp.arch] fiber

lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (03/14/89)

In article <11020@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> muir@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (David Muir Sharnoff) writes:
>In article <4409@pt.cs.cmu.edu> lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>>(The single-mode optic fibers that are in
>>the ground right now, have an intrinsic bandwidth of 35,000 gigahertz,
>>in the IR window alone.
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that you could store ~100GB
>in a 3000 mile fiber loop?

Great idea!

Of course, 3000 miles of fiber is about enough to squash my desk flat.
Perhaps I should get a DARPA grant to develop a high-strength desk.

There is also a minor, temporary problem with the emitters and
receivers.  Our fiber-making technology is currently about three orders
of magnitude ahead of our fiber-using technology.

Luckily, laser technology is still advancing quickly. (For example,
Sagnac-effect devices have improved by six orders of magnitude in the
last ten years.) Do I  have a little list of breakthroughs? Yes ...

--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science