[comp.arch] Josephson Junctions

wws@rruxd.UUCP (W W Scott) (03/15/89)

In article <15405@cup.portal.com>, bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) writes:
> For a real JJ machine, see the most recent ISSCC proceedings.  "A 4b
> Josephson Data Processor Chip" presented by Hitachi described a JJ
> 4-bit microprocessor with 16 general registers and eight instructions.

This kind of news is discouraging.  A previous article said that IBM gave up
on JJ technology because it was a pain.  Apparently the Japanese persisted
and have something to show for it.  Is this another technology they're going
to dominate?  Why can't we develop some leading-edge technology that we can
export to them instead of us importing their chips?

I heard a forecast last week that unless we do something in the flat screen
and HDTV areas, we'll lose another couple million jobs by the turn of the
century.  We can't afford to continue this trend.  When will it turn around?

Wayne Scott

wen-king@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (King Su) (03/15/89)

In article <358@rruxd.UUCP> wws@rruxd.UUCP (W W Scott) writes:
>In article <15405@cup.portal.com>, bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) writes:
<> For a real JJ machine, see the most recent ISSCC proceedings.  "A 4b
>> Josephson Data Processor Chip" presented by Hitachi described a JJ
<> 4-bit microprocessor with 16 general registers and eight instructions.

<This kind of news is discouraging.  A previous article said that IBM gave up
>on JJ technology because it was a pain.  Apparently the Japanese persisted
<and have something to show for it.  Is this another technology they're going
>to dominate?  Why can't we develop some leading-edge technology that we can
<export to them instead of us importing their chips?

The answer is quite simple.  Just ask yourself, if an American company
makes money, would an average worker (management included) want it in their
pockets or would they want it invested in their company's future?  If the
US government wants to pump a few tens of billion dollars into some basic
industry, would the people go for a tax hike?  The answer is simply, no;
not now, at least.  The majority of the American people do not want to make
the necessary investment, not while intimidation works.

--
| Wen-King Su  wen-king@vlsi.caltech.edu  Caltech Corp of Cosmic Engineers |