[comp.arch] Virtual caches & PIDs

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (03/21/89)

In article <227@ross.UUCP> doug@ross.UUCP (doug carmean) writes:
>In article <15531@winchester.mips.COM> John Mashey writes:
>Mr. Mashey's description is entirely accurate for a system that uses
>a very simple cache controller, i.e. one that does not detect aliases.

Description of virtual-physical cache setup.
>This approach may not offer quite the performance or the glamour that
>the HP PA offers, but it is considerably higher performance than the
>approach Mr. Mashey outlined.

Hmmm.  Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the original posting:
1) There was no intent to portray the "simple-virtual-cache-wth-pids"
as particularly good.  It's a tradeoff that one can make, and people
build them that way, sometimes.  The posting was just a description,
as there had been some confusion about what these things were.
NOTE: R3000s, of course, use physically-mapped caches.

2) There are all sorts of things that one can build, of course,
with different cost/performance tradeoffs, to get more out of
virtual caches.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253