[comp.arch] delay lines for memory

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov (03/16/89)

Before I get a hundred replies for inaccurate memory of vacuum tube computers,
it appears that my memory of what media was used for delay line purposes was
not correct.  These lines were also called "mercury lines" because mercury
was used to create a suitably slow propagation speed for those suitably
slow computers of the day.  Just to remind us of where we have been, does
anyone who has access to a suitable article want to post a one page synopsis of
just how these delay lines worked?  The past is often useful in forming the
future as new technology spawns.

Is the news software incompatible with your mailer too?
brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp, uunet!maddog.llnl.gov!brooks

haynes@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Haynes) (03/16/89)

Mercury delay lines, as used in EDSAC and UNIVAC I, I believe used
quartz transducers and pulses of RF propagating in the mercury.
Hence the binary data modulates (on/off) a radio-frequency signal.
It's detected at the receiving end and reconstituted into data, and
also re-introduced at the sending end so that the stream of bits
in the mercury recirculates forever.

Mercury delay lines were also used in radar and in distance
measuring equipment for air navigation.

Later there was a technology using solid wire as the delay medium,
with the data being represented as a torsional pulse in the wire.
This didn't use the RF carrier; the data bits went directly into
the wire.  I've seen this technology used in transistor computers:
Packard-Bell 250 and Royal Precision RPC something or other, I forget
the model number.  The transducers were magnetostrictive.

There were also some very high speed delay lines that used something
like a glass prism as the delay medium. Signal was introduced at one
face, traveled through the material to another face, where it was
reflected at an angle to another face, and so on through several more
reflections until it emerged from the output face.

rfm@sun.com (Rich McAllister) (03/16/89)

In article <21976@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, brooks@maddog writes:
>Just to remind us of where we have been, does anyone who has access to a
>suitable article want to post a one page synopsis of just how these
>[mercury] delay lines worked?

Here's a shortend quote from _IBM's_Early_Computers_, by Bashe, Johnson,
Palmer, and Pugh, MIT Press, 1986, p110.  Highly recommended, especially for
people who think IBM never invents anything.

    The idea of using a mercury tank acoustic delay line for
    storage in computers had originated about [1944] at the
    University of Pennsylvania, where [Eckert and Mauchly
    were working on the EDVAC.]  Eckert had invented the
    mercury delay line [for radar applications.]  He
    recognized in the delay line a device capable of storing
    a large number of binary digits while requiring
    relatively few vacuum tubes.  His idea was to introduce
    a train of electrical pulses and gaps representing 1s
    and 0s, respectively, to a quartz-crystal piezoelectric
    transducer at the front of a mercury tube or tank and
    allow the acoustical waves generated by the transducer
    to propagate through the mercury.  At the far end the
    train of electrical signals was reconstructed by another
    piezoelectric transducer .... Each delay line could
    store hundreds of bits [!] at the cost of a few vacuum
    tube circuits and a temperature-controlled tank.

The temperature control is necessary to regulate the speed of sound in
the mercury, so the same number of bits always have the same delay.

Rich McAllister (rfm@sun.com)

lfoard@wpi.wpi.edu (Lawrence C Foard) (03/17/89)

Is data transmission with ultra sound practical? You can get 10Mhz ultra sound
in water, and it travels very fast. I wonder if connecting PC's with garden
hoses would be cheaper than ethernet cable, no electrical noise but stepping
on the hose could cause problems ;)

Does any one have a list of prices and speeds of available risc chips?

--
Disclaimer: My school does not share my views about FORTRAN.
            FORTRAN does not share my views about my school.

beyer@houxs.ATT.COM (J.BEYER) (03/18/89)

In addition to delay line memory, some machines used magnetic drum memories
(e.g., IBM 650). The trouble with delay line memory and most drum memory is
that you have to wait until the address you want comes along out of the memory.
By Murphy's law, the one you want just went by, so you have to wait until it
comes around again on the guitar.

The larger the memory, the longer it is and the longer you have to wait.
There are ways around this, sort-of. What was done to the 650 was that
each instruction had 2 addresses, one where the data came from or went to,
and one, the address where the next instruction was to come from. A clever
assembler was used that knew the execution times of the instructions, and
arranged to place the next instruction at a location that would just be
coming around as the current one finished. Fun, huh!

--
Jean-David Beyer
A.T.&T., Holmdel, New Jersey, 07733

dave@stcns3.stc.oz (Dave Horsfall) (03/22/89)

In article <1365@wpi.wpi.edu> lfoard@wpi.wpi.edu (Lawrence C Foard) writes:

| Is data transmission with ultra sound practical? You can get 10Mhz ultra sound
| in water, and it travels very fast. I wonder if connecting PC's with garden
| hoses would be cheaper than ethernet cable, no electrical noise but stepping
| on the hose could cause problems ;)

I can see it now...

``The Nylex Corporation, a manufacturer of garden hoses and sprinkler
  accessories, today announced a product aimed specifically at the
  fast-growing PC LAN market.  Called HoseNet, it is based upon a
  cheap flexible medium utilising the latest techniques in transmission
  technology...''

Sorry, but I thought a little levity would be appropriate at this point.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU),  Alcatel STC Australia,  dave@stcns3.stc.oz
dave%stcns3.stc.oz.AU@uunet.UU.NET,  ...munnari!stcns3.stc.oz.AU!dave

maguire@cs.columbia.edu (Gerald Q. Maguire) (03/25/89)

I first gave a talk which described using optical delay lines for data
storage in spring 1986 in Belgium and in The Netherlands. Following a
later talk which included this idea - I was ask by Dave Sincoskie of
BELLCORE if I had compared it to a disk, I had not at the time but
since have. This comparison and the limits to this technology are
described in a paper:

@Inproceedings[Maguire89c,
        Key=<Maguire>,
        Author=<G. Q. Maguire Jr. and P. R. Prucnal>,
        Title=<High-density optical storage using optical delay lines:
                Use of optical delay lines as a disk>,
        Organization=<SPIE - The International Society for Optical
		      Engineering>\,
        Booktitle=<Medical Imaging  III>,
        Year=<1989>,
        Month=<January>,
        Volume=<1093>,
        Pages=<6 pages>
]

For those who are interested and can't wait for the proceedings, send
me e-mail and I'll mail you the PostScript version of this file (which
is 42173 bytes long). This file includes the diagrams.

I hope to find a student interested in building a prototype which will
act much like a SCSI disk (in having logical sectors), but with
considerably faster access time.

I anticipate a major application of this technology to be in local
swap space (as there are no moving parts and 500MB will fit within a 9
liter volume using a single frequency and much less volume if you
freq. multiplex - but you then increase the size and complexity of the
optics) and for image processing it makes an image from among 100T
bytes of image data available within 1 sec.

Chip

david@linc.cis.upenn.edu (David Feldman) (03/27/89)

> From: rfm@sun.com (Rich McAllister)
> Here's a shortend quote from _IBM's_Early_Computers_, by Bashe, Johnson,
> Palmer, and Pugh, MIT Press, 1986, p110.  Highly recommended, especially for
> people who think IBM never invents anything.
>
>    The idea of using a mercury tank acoustic delay line for
>    storage in computers had originated about [1944] at the
>    University of Pennsylvania, where [Eckert and Mauchly
>    were working on the EDVAC.]  Eckert had invented the

We had a mercury delay system laying around the Digital Systems Lab
here at the Moore School at Penn.  According to Eckert, who came to Penn
for publicity, there were piezo quartz elements at both ends of the delay
lines.  This unit had five or six tubes (now emptied of mercury) arranged
cylindrically.  It also had some sort of interfaces in the middle of the
delay tubes with vacuum tube amplifiers attached.  Eckert told me that
(if his memory was correct, he said) this unit was designed to test variable
delay delay lines.

We had some more old stuff laying around too.  There was a drum memory with
256 read heads.  Pieces of the ENIAC that weigh nearly 1000 pounds each.
Bits of the old differential analyzer.  An original PDP 8 made of discrete
transisters and diodes, with a polar vector scope used (among other things)
to play the original "Space Wars".

All of this stuff has been thrown out now.  I consider myself lucky to have
seen it.

_   /|					Dave Feldman
\'o.O'					david@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
=(___)=		Ok, cough!
   U					DSL - land of wonder and enchantment
ACK! PHHT!