[comp.arch] layering

daveb@geaclib.UUCP (David Collier-Brown) (03/31/89)

From article <7977@boring.cwi.nl>, by jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen):
> Actually, layered software doesn't *have* to be sluggish. However, it takes
> quite a bit of work to build an efficient layered product. You have
> to design an initial version, use it for a while, measure it, redesign
> it (possibly moving features between levels), use it for a while,
> measure it, etc etc etc.
[discussion on intra-layer tuning elided]

    Actually, I'll claim that separation of function (AKA simplicity)
usually makes things faster, because it makes a set of simple things
out of a collection. This in turn makes reasoning about the parts at
least **possible**, and allows one to come up with better
algorithims.

  Layering is one technique that helps here, although it is by no
means a panacea. Wulf commented years ago about the tendency to
repeat the same feature at more than one level, and the difficulty
of getting the layering right.

  And this has little if anything to do with architecture any more,
so followup to comp.misc....

--dave c-b
--
 David Collier-Brown.  | yunexus!lethe!dave
 Interleaf Canada Inc. |