[comp.arch] MACWORLD presents A real Macintosh Clone?

nulakema@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brian Lakeman) (03/13/89)

Could this be MacWorlds idea of an April fools joke?  The shipment date of
April 1st make me wonder.

-Brian Lakeman
nulakema@ndsuvax.BITNET
nulakema@plains.nodak.edu

#! rnews

mdeale@algol.acs.calpoly.edu (Myron Deale) (03/14/89)

In article <9979@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> mangler@tybalt.caltech.edu (System Mangler) writes:

>	The Iconoclast
>
>	Introducing the First Mac Clone
>	  Is this Macintosh work-alike too good to be true?

   ... and I suppose this "dream to end all dreams" vision of yours
[really wants to prick Apple] uses an 80486. None of this slow RISC
nonsense. The '486 would be perfect first-pass silicon packaged in a
208-pin ceramic PGA (MIL-STD-1546, class "S":-) costing $21 in 10's
quantity. It just so happens to have a 68040 emulation mode bit
tucked away in the status register (Dhrystones 2x Moto part!). Don't
forget the segment reg's. Blah blah blah.
   Then again, I could be wrong, this might really be April.

Myron
#mdeale@polyslo.calpoly.edu
#standard disclaimer

curry@garth.UUCP (Ray Curry) (03/17/89)

In article <2258@ndsuvax.UUCP> nulakema@ndsuvax.UUCP (Brian Lakeman) writes:

>Could this be MacWorlds idea of an April fools joke?  The shipment date of
>April 1st make me wonder.

It is a joke, admitted in our local paper already, and MacWorld has
indicated they have had to put their phone on a recorder to answer the
number of calls they have been getting.  Seems like a lot of people have
bitten hook, line, and sinker and are claiming major problems in
purchase order flow, etc.

As my own editorial comment, I found the article not at all funny.
It was far too long without any humorous exaggerations and the April 1
delivery date was all that indicated it wasn't a true story.  Now Philip
Kahn's speach about his new operating system, the "BS2"..., now that was
funny.

csimmons@oracle.com (Charles Simmons) (03/18/89)

In article <2646@garth.UUCP> curry@garth.UUCP (Ray Curry) writes:
>As my own editorial comment, I found the article not at all funny.
>It was far too long without any humorous exaggerations and the April 1
>delivery date was all that indicated it wasn't a true story.  Now Philip
>Kahn's speach about his new operating system, the "BS2"..., now that was
>funny.

I kind of thought the article was hilarious.  Even better than the
magazine article, however, was the newspaper article describing
people that had actually believed the magazine article.

There are a number of clear indications that the magazine article
was a joke.  First, the author clearly tells us that he is exposing
proprietary secrets.  Obviously, if the article was real, the author
would get sued real quick.

Second, the author is describing a dream product at a dream price.
(On rereading the article I notice that the author uses those words.)
Basically, here's a machine that costs $800 and which outperforms
systems costing $5000.  No one in their right mind is going to drop
the price that low on such a beautiful system.  Why take only $400
worth of profit when you could have $4000?

Third, there is absolutely no way that IBM is going to come out
with an exciting innovative product like the one described in the
article.

But I guess that Stephen Levy should have realized that the article
was going to be read by a bunch of software and hardware engineers,
and it is well known that they have no sense of humor...

-- Chuck

In article <800@oracle.oracle.com>, csimmons@oracle.com (Charles Simmons) writes:
> Basically, here's a machine that costs $800 and which outperforms
> systems costing $5000.

Sounds like the Amiga.

> No one in their right mind is going to drop
> the price that low on such a beautiful system.  Why take only $400
> worth of profit when you could have $4000?

I don't know. Commodore seems to think it's a good idea.

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (03/21/89)

(was originally on comp.arch... thought I'd cross-post this one to
comp.sys.amiga)

In article <3493@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

> In article <800@oracle.oracle.com>, csimmons@oracle.com (Charles Simmons) writes:
> > Basically, here's a machine that costs $800 and which outperforms
> > systems costing $5000.
>
> Sounds like the Amiga.
>
> > No one in their right mind is going to drop
> > the price that low on such a beautiful system.  Why take only $400
> > worth of profit when you could have $4000?
>
> I don't know. Commodore seems to think it's a good idea.
> --
> Peter da Silva, Xenix Support, Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
>
> Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
> Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

Nope.  Max Toy at the last JAUG meeting (and I've heard this other
places) said (paraphrased) that they should have priced the machine
much higher.  (1) People think it's so inexpensive that it can't be
true (2) People are paying a lot more for only a little more power,
they would have been willing to pay a little more for the same thing.
(3) (same drift as #1) People don't take it seriously because it's not
expensive enough.

Could you imagine if they added $1000 to the price before releasing
it?  They could have had a great student discount program, and they
would have had more money to spend on marketing and software support.

But I digress... this belongs on comp.sys.marketing :-)

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
            Drew University -- Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

dan@ivucsb.UUCP (Dan Howell) (03/26/89)

In article <Mar.21.00.08.18.1989.15617@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
|Could you imagine if they added $1000 to the price before releasing
|it?  They could have had a great student discount program, and they
|would have had more money to spend on marketing and software support.

And then I'd be using some generic messy-dos machine instead of my Amiga.
(I shiver at the thought...)

dennison@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Theodore Dennison) (04/02/89)

In article <Mar.21.00.08.18.1989.15617@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
>(was originally on comp.arch... thought I'd cross-post this one to
>comp.sys.amiga)
>

>Nope.  Max Toy at the last JAUG meeting (and I've heard this other
>places) said (paraphrased) that they should have priced the machine
>much higher.  (1) People think it's so inexpensive that it can't be
>true (2) People are paying a lot more for only a little more power,
>they would have been willing to pay a little more for the same thing.
>(3) (same drift as #1) People don't take it seriously because it's not
>expensive enough.
>
>Could you imagine if they added $1000 to the price before releasing
>it?  They could have had a great student discount program, and they
>would have had more money to spend on marketing and software support.
>
>-Tom

   Wait! Do I hear consumers begging for a HIGHER price on their goods? Wait
'till my Economics professor hears about this. He now owes me about 10
points!

T.E.D.