[comp.arch] predicted yield of BIG microprocess

mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (03/26/89)

>Year				1984	1987	1989	1992
>Defect density [cm^(-2)]	1.83	1.16	0.72	0.38

This is not a computer issue, but it is a chip issue - so -

What I want is a BIG CCD camera chip. How do these relate in
manufacturability to memories or CPU's. They are certainly simpler
than CPU's, but are they as easy as DRAMS's? One can get 1 cm square
ones now, but I would like a much bigger one - say 2x2 or even 3x3 cm.

At a defect rate of 0.5 per cm square there would seem to be a good
possibility of making 2x2's.

What is the current state of these things - I am not aware of
being able to actually buy big ones.

Doug McDonald

In article <46500056@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>What I want is a BIG CCD camera chip...
>What is the current state of these things - I am not aware of
>being able to actually buy big ones.

They can be bought.  Bring lots of money.  The market is small -- astronomy
and other specialized sensing fields -- and they are horribly expensive.
The ads in Sky&Telescope and Astronomy might help, although they're mostly
aimed at amateur budgets.  Don't expect perfect chips for any sane price;
accepting some defects will help.
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

grandi@noao.edu (Steve Grandi) (03/29/89)

In article <46500056@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>What I want is a BIG CCD camera chip. How do these relate in
>manufacturability to memories or CPU's. They are certainly simpler
>than CPU's, but are they as easy as DRAMS's? One can get 1 cm square
>ones now, but I would like a much bigger one - say 2x2 or even 3x3 cm.

Tektronix has been trying to manufacture 2048 x 2048 CCD chips with 27
micron pixels for several years (that's 5.5cm plus a border).  So far no
"astronomy grade" chips have been produced, but several "engineering" grade
chips are floating around.  It is, apparently, not an easy chip to build.

Oh yes, an astronomy grade chip, ordered now, would probably cost you from
$80-100K (we got our orders in years ago before Tektronix figured out how
hard the problem was; so we are only in for $50K a chip!).
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!grandi  or  uunet!noao.edu!grandi

shs@uts.amdahl.com (Steve Schoettler) (04/07/89)

In article <46500056@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>Year				1984	1987	1989	1992
>>Defect density [cm^(-2)]	1.83	1.16	0.72	0.38
>
>What I want is a BIG CCD camera chip. How do these relate in
>manufacturability to memories or CPU's.

This is the classic application for a neural network!

More seriously, there have been some good ideas on image processing
with partial data.  Here are some relevant papers in case you're interested:

Carnevali, P. and Coletti, L., and Patarnello, S. "Image Processing by
Simulated Annealing," IBM Journal of Research and Development 29(6):569-579,
1985.

Geman, Stuart and Geman, Donald. "Stochastic Relaxation, Gibbs Distributions,
and the Bayesian Restoration of Images," IEEE PAMI 6:721-741, 1984.

Steve

--

        Steve Schoettler
        shs@uts.amdahl.com