[comp.arch] to graphics processor or not to graphics processor

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) (04/14/89)

There has been considerable discussion already on the pros & cons of the
approach used by Digital on the DECStation 3100 of using the cpu for all
graphics tasks (basically the idea is that the cpu is so fast that graphics
operations are limited by memory bandwidth, so graphics engines will not
improve graphics performance, apologies to DEC if I am oversimplifing)).
  Now I see there is another example.  The Data General Maverick 88000 based
workstation uses an NEC 72120 (whatever that is) for mono and a custom
gate array (whatever_that_is**2) for color.  Any DG engineers out there who
would like to discuss why they chose to do so?

apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!

rick@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Rick Spanbauer) (04/15/89)

In article <28930@apple.Apple.COM>, jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) writes:
> There has been considerable discussion already on the pros & cons of the
> approach used by Digital on the DECStation 3100 of using the cpu for all
> graphics tasks (basically the idea is that the cpu is so fast that graphics
> operations are limited by memory bandwidth, so graphics engines will not

	If your path into the frame buffer is only 32 bits, then yes, it
	is easy to saturate the FB.  It doesn't have to be this way.  If
	you've the bucks, widen the path.  Both the National RGP and AMD QPDM
	have paths wider than 32 bits into 8 bit frame buffers.  The former
	can achieve blit rates of 80 mPixel/sec by using page mode cycling
	into 8*16 = 128 bit wide path into the FB.  For the ulimate performance
	put the blitter op unit on the memory chip itself, and get even
	faster.  Recent TI vram, I think, does this.

> improve graphics performance, apologies to DEC if I am oversimplifing)).
>   Now I see there is another example.  The Data General Maverick 88000 based
> workstation uses an NEC 72120 (whatever that is) for mono and a custom
> gate array (whatever_that_is**2) for color.  Any DG engineers out there who
> would like to discuss why they chose to do so?

	The other interesting question is how well suited to graphics
	a particular RISC is.  The 29000 for instance has a nice load/store
	multiple insns + large register set that can be easily matched
	to the page mode cycling features of dram/vram.  You can:

		LOADM	128 pixels -> registers @ 40 nS/4 pixels
		operate on pixels in registers
		STOREM 	128 pixels -> memory @ 40 nS/4 pixels

	and achieve some fairly decent update rates even with packed pixel
	format FB + 32 bit paths.  With extra logic, eg R3000's, etc can do
	this too.

> apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook

joel@pandora.pa.dec.com (Joel McCormack) (04/15/89)

I hope that no one at DEC has claimed that the DECStation 3100 wouldn't be faster with a special graphics engine.  Having done the code for the color frame buffer, I'll be the first to admit that extra hardware could help.

The main advantages of the frame buffer are:

1. You get performance that is quite good (actually downright amazing considering that it's all going through an X server).  Further, this performance will improve automatically as you use faster CPU chips and memory.

2. It costs nothing other than the RAMs.

3. It is a lot more flexible than commiting to a hardware accelerator.  I've improved performance in serveral areas, and all it takes to get it into your hands is another release of Ultrix.

4. It is faster to get a frame buffer up and running than designing a new chip would have been.

- Joel McCormack (decwrl!joel, joel@decwrl.dec.com)

tc@diablo.amd.com (Tom Crawford) (04/16/89)

In article <2565@sbcs.sunysb.edu> rick@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Rick Spanbauer) writes:
>	a particular RISC is.  The 29000 for instance has a nice load/store
>	multiple insns + large register set that can be easily matched
>	to the page mode cycling features of dram/vram.  You can:
>
>		LOADM	128 pixels -> registers @ 40 nS/4 pixels
>		operate on pixels in registers
>		STOREM 	128 pixels -> memory @ 40 nS/4 pixels

They also have a set of graphics primitives (assembly language, callable
from "C") that are available *now* for the 29000.  Check it out.

				Tom Crawford
				(408) 749-5100

rec@dg.dg.com (Robert Cousins) (04/17/89)

In article <28930@apple.Apple.COM> jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) writes:
>  Now I see there is another example.  The Data General Maverick 88000 based
>workstation uses an NEC 72120 (whatever that is) for mono and a custom
>gate array (whatever_that_is**2) for color.  Any DG engineers out there who
>would like to discuss why they chose to do so?
>
>apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca
>
>These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!

Yes, we choose to use graphics coprocessors on our AViiON line of workstations
for several reasons:
	1.	Lawrence's Law:  There are only two ways to speed up a
		computer:  build it out of faster parts or do more than
		one thing at a time.  A coprocessor allows you to do more
		than one thing at a time.
	2.	Sure the 88000 is fast and can do graphics operations very
		quickly (faster than most graphics coprocessors in fact).
		However, more and more workstation applications are of the
		form "compute, draw, compute, draw . . . ." where the
		parallelism gain is substantial if draw and compute can
		be overlapped.
	3.	Most previous graphics architectures assume relatively
		weak CPUs and relatively more powerful graphics hardware			or the extreme opposite of relatively powerful CPUs and
		totally brain damaged graphics hardware (dumb frame buffer).
		The newer, faster CPUs like the 88100 make intermediate
		balancing easy.
	4.	Cost.  A proper choice of graphics subsystems allows not
		only the cost to be reduced but also the power and space --
		all of which has impact on the retail cost.
I think it safe to say that we did a pretty good job.  There aren't any
machines that I know of that can match the AViiON line in power (CPU or
graphics) in the price range.

Robert Cousins
Department Manager,
Workstation Development,
Data General Corporation

Speaking for myself alone.

mbkennel@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Matthew B. Kennel) (04/19/89)

In article <130@dg.dg.com> rec@dg.UUCP (Robert Cousins) writes:
>various nice things about his workstation.
>
>Robert Cousins
>Department Manager,
>Workstation Development,
>Data General Corporation
>
>Speaking for myself alone.

I apologize for taking up net space, but I've been trying to
send mail to you at both "dg.dg.com"  and "dg.com" and neither
works for me.  Could you try to send me your numerical address
or another path?  I want to ask some questions about your company's
workstation.

THanks,
  matt kennel
  mbkennel@phoenix.princeton.edu

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) (04/19/89)

In article <130@dg.dg.com> rec@dg.UUCP (Robert Cousins) writes:
>In article <28930@apple.Apple.COM> jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway) writes:
>>  Now I see there is another example.  The Data General Maverick 88000 based
>>workstation uses an NEC 72120 (whatever that is) for mono and a custom
>>gate array (whatever_that_is**2) for color.  Any DG engineers out there who
>>would like to discuss why they chose to do so?
>>
>Yes, we choose to use graphics coprocessors on our AViiON line of workstations
>for several reasons:
..parallel operations and price/performance cited, but no data given...

>Department Manager,
>Workstation Development,
>Data General Corporation
>Robert Cousins

Could you describe what operations the NEC and gate array perform?  What
is the degree of overlap, overhaed of the synchroniztion, etc.  i.e. tell us
how it works and give some data.  thanks!  (does AViiON have some neumonic
significance or something? (i.e. the case differnece)