[comp.arch] Portable Frankenstone

russotto@wam.UMD.EDU (04/19/89)

In article <5945@pdn.paradyne.com> alan@rnms1.paradyne.com (Alan Lovejoy) writes:
>Fhrankenstone:  Number of times benchmark can die and be
>		resurrected per second             snoopy@sopwith.UUCP
>
>[The Fhrankenstone] is currently very dangerous to run, as an electrical storm
>is required.  It is hoped that a low power technique can be found for the
>next release.  An industry spy overheard the principal researcher asking his
>assistant to "Put   the   stack-pointer   back."  It is believed that the
>researcher was trapped in a subroutine at the time.  Sun's SPARC technology
>currently leads the pack in this benchmark, but mAMP, a joint venture between
>MIPS and AMPhenol hopes to overtake SPARC with their on-chip battery design
>fed by special high-current connectors which also serve as the chip's heat
>sink.  Company spokepersons were unwilling to reveal how many milliamp-hours
>their product would cache on-chip.  Public confidence in the new product
>was dampened at an early demo of a prototype unit which used a defective
>cpu and a pair of automotive battery clamps from a junkyard.  The prototype
>paniced easily, and the public demanded it be dismantled.  Improvements
>to the prototype, including a voice-synthesis unit, has calmed public
>fears of the new technology.  It's not easy being on the cutting edge.
>"Hard drives and kilobytes are tinkertoys, I'm talking about the central
>networking system."
>

>=============================================================================
>Alan Lovejoy; alan@pdn; 813-530-2211; AT&T Paradyne: 8550 Ulmerton, Largo, FL.
>Disclaimer: I do not speak for AT&T Paradyne.  They do not speak for me.
>__American Investment Deficiency Syndrome => No resistance to foreign invasion.
>Motto: If nanomachines will be able to reconstruct you, YOU AREN'T DEAD YET.

Currently a new version of Fhrankenstone, Portable (or Phortable)
Frankenstone has been developed in various laboratories.  It uses
new cold fusion techniques to power it, rather than lightning.
WARNING: This technique is almost completely untested, and even
	 if successful, may generate hazardous amounts of MNSTR rays.
         Also, there exists the distinct possibility of the radiation
	 mutating it into Frankenstein, and you would have one
	 very confused scientist on your hands.
--
DISCLAIMER:  Not only does the University not share my opinions,
	     they don't want me sharing my opinions.