[comp.arch] ARM 'problems'

rcbaps@eutrc3.UUCP (Pieter Schoenmakers) (04/22/89)

In article <132@marvin.moncam.co.uk> paul@moncam.co.uk (Paul Hudson) writes:

>Problems: Max 4Mb memory with current memory controller.
           Acorn are said to have a beast with two MEMCs fitted, giving 8Mb
           of RAM. Not a neat way but it works. They should produce a new
           MEMC with a larger page-table.
>	  32 Kbytes page size.
           Right.
>	  Poor 16 bit support (a problem with some peripherals).
           Since you've worked with Acorn, you probably know why this
           is. Did you ever take a look at the application sheet of the IOC?
           I don't see any problem.
>	  No DMA support.
           Standard answer: the processor is quick enough to handle (D)MA
           itself. Not a very good answer; there is a better one: design
           a coprocessor, which can handle the DMA stuff in 3 cycles
           (1 instr. fetch, 1 data fetch and 1 data store).
>	  High-resolution screens steal a lot of bandwidth.
           This problem has become less of a problem since Acorn have anounced
           the ARM version 3: 4kb instr. & data caches. This makes the ARM
           need less bandwitdh (obvious remark!).
>	  No delayed branch.
           right?

>Conclusion.
> In the right application, unbeatable. Not my choice for a workstattion.

Pitty... :-)

>Disclaimer: I used to work for Acorn, and have writtern (the back end of) a
>compiler for the beast. Thus the above may be disillusionmemnt

Tiggr