[comp.arch] Core Memory

sjs@spectral.ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) (04/21/89)

In article <530@aurora.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross
Alexander) writes:

> My understanding of cores is that as one runs them faster, they get
> hotter. Indeed, I've seen reports in this group to the effect that on
> some (faster) machines, if you knew the stack geometry and were a tad
> antisocial, you could damage core planes.

Ah, the good old days....

As I understood it, each access to a core heated it up a bit.  The
trick is to make sure that the core dissipates heat faster than it
accumulates it--at some point before the core is damaged.

The Honeywell 716 minicomputer (I believe these were once used as ARPA
IMPs, but we used one as an RJE station) was designed so that memory
would cool fast enough that you could access a core every other cycle
without damaging it.  The machine manuals were very explicit in their
warnings that getting the machine into a one-instruction loop would
fry the instructions core plane (as would an indirect cell pointing to
itself).

One day the system just locked up with the front panel lights on
solid.  Now, on the 716 the front panel displayed the memory address
register and the memory data register.  I was on top of that halt
switch in no time flat.  After taking a system dump, I breathed a sigh
of relief when the memory diagnostics found no problems.

It took me several days to realize what had happened.  The machine had
gotten into a 2-cycle indirection loop popping back and forth between
the accumulator (address 0) and a memory cell.  This is as close as we
ever came to blowing out a core (something of a miracle, considering
the amount of work we did on that system).

Anyway, I just smile whenever people say that you can't hurt the
computer with software.  Obviously, these people never heard of the
Honeywell 716.

Stan Switzer  sjs@ctt.bellcore.com

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (04/22/89)

In article <15465@bellcore.bellcore.com> sjs@ctt.bellcore.com (Stan Switzer) writes:
  >The Honeywell 716 minicomputer (I believe these were once used as ARPA
  >IMPs, but we used one as an RJE station) was designed so that memory
  >would cool fast enough that you could access a core every other cycle
  >without damaging it.  The machine manuals were very explicit in their
  >warnings that getting the machine into a one-instruction loop would
  >fry the instructions core plane (as would an indirect cell pointing to
  >itself).

Ah, the infamous HCF (halt and catch fire) instruction! :-)
--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck