[comp.arch] System size

schow@bnr-public.uucp (Stanley Chow) (04/27/89)

In article <18120@winchester.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
>Hmmm.  here's an interesting question for the net: how about offering examples
>of LARGE programs, either in:
>	# of files
>	# of lines of source
>	# of bytes of code generated
>
>	what machine & OS & language does this run on?
>	what does it do?

To kick things off, here is the big system that I work on:

    Files:          3  * 10**4
    lines of code:  1  * 10**7
    binary size:    5  * 10**6  up to 4 * 10**7 bytes
    Workers:        4  * 10**3  known to system
		    2  * 10**3  actually changing code

The system is written in PROTEL and the operating system is SOS. In fact,
SOS is part of this system. This started off on propietary hardware and is
now running on several hardware platforms. This forms the "Central Computer"
of the DMS telephone switching sytems.

There are several more millions lines of code in the peripherals. The
peripherals are 8080, ..., up through 68020. Typically, these peripherals
form a hierarchy of four or more levels totalling thousands of processors.

These number are probably right, at least to one significant figure. But then,
there is no warranty.

Stanley Chow     ..!utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!schow%bnr-public
                 (613) 763-2831

PROTEL, SOS, DMS are all registered trademarks of Northern Telecom or
Bell-Northern Research.

Disclaimer: I am merely repeating public information. Any opinions expressed
	    are my own and do not represent Bell-Northern Research or
	    Northern Telecom.

limes@sun.com (Greg Limes) (04/28/89)

In article <18120@winchester.mips.COM>mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
>Hmmm.  here's an interesting question for the net: how about offering examples
>of LARGE programs, either in:
>	# of files
>	# of lines of source
>	# of bytes of code generated
>
>	what machine & OS & language does this run on?
>	what does it do?

In article <441@bnr-fos.UUCP>schow@bnr-public.uucp (Stanley Chow) writes:
[Bell Northern Research's system including SOS written in PROTEL,
 see his article for details]
>    Files:          3  * 10**4
>    lines of code:  1  * 10**7
>    binary size:    5  * 10**6  up to 4 * 10**7 bytes
>    Workers:        4  * 10**3  known to system
>		     2  * 10**3  actually changing code

The SunOS 4.0.3 kernel comes out to:
     ~700 files,
  ~200000 lines,
       ~1Mb binary for each archetecture.

The entire SunOS distribution is, of course much larger; if you want
to call it a "large program" -- stretching things a bit, but it all
interacts tightly and all gets maintained together -- the numbers
would look something like:

    ~6000 files
~14000000 lines
      ~50Mb of binaries for each archetecture

This is only for the machines built and supported by Workstation
division, i.e. Sun-2, Sun-3, Sun-3x, and Sun-4. The source trees for
the Sun-386i and the Sun-4c (SPARCstation 1) are entirely separate,
although probably quite similar in size and layout.

-- Greg Limes [limes@sun.com]