[comp.arch] critical path of FP chips

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (04/26/89)

In article <100524@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, dgh%dgh@Sun.COM (David Hough) writes:

   > I have heard that adder carry propagate time and multiplier array
   > size are the key constraints with a floating-point chip; ....

Well, only true for those chips which don't have an explicit hardware
divide unit, e.g. Clipper, Intel 860, TI 8847, Moto 88K, Transputer.
These folks use the multiply and the add hardware, plus a Newton-Rhapson
iterative algorithm, to synthesize division.  Other FP chips have a
separate functional unit for divides (allowing a divide to be overlapped
with a multiply & an add).  I believe HP Precision, Weitek, and MIPS
have FP chips with divider hardware.  The divider can indeed become the
critical path of the FP unit.

   > ... Memory bandwidth tends to
   > be the key constraint on overall system performance unless
   > floating-point division and sqrt dominate.  The last describes
   > a minority of programs but they are quite important in some
   > influential circles.

As David has said before on this forum, the circuit simulator SPICE
executes a very large number of divides and square roots.  To VLSI
designers (like the ones who design FP chips!), SPICE is quite an
important program.  Hint: look at the equations for the pinchoff
voltage of a field effect transistor (such as the MOSFETs in CMOS
technology).  Count the number of divides and square roots.
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

roger@wraxall.inmos.co.uk (Roger Shepherd) (04/28/89)

In article <18106@obiwan.mips.COM> mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) writes:
>In article <100524@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, dgh%dgh@Sun.COM (David Hough) writes:
>   > I have heard that adder carry propagate time and multiplier array
>   > size are the key constraints with a floating-point chip; ....
>Well, only true for those chips which don't have an explicit hardware
>divide unit, e.g. Clipper, Intel 860, TI 8847, Moto 88K, Transputer.
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^
>These folks use the multiply and the add hardware, plus a Newton-Rhapson
>iterative algorithm, to synthesize division.

Can I correct this. The T800 transputer does not have a multiplier or
divider as such. Both operations are performed iteratively, the multiplication
generating 3 bits of product per cycle, the divider generating 2 bits of
quotient per cycle. I should point out that the T800 FPU was designed to fit
into a very small area (about 20 sq mm); the T800 was announced in 1987 and
it contains an integer processor, 4 communication links and 4k bytes of
on-chip RAM. At the time the die (about 1 sq cm) was the largest we could
contemplate manufacturing - it was die size as much as anything which
determined the implementation; large array multipliers were out.

Roger Shepherd, INMOS Ltd   JANET:      roger@uk.co.inmos
1000 Aztec West             UUCP:       ukc!inmos!roger
Almondsbury                          or uunet!inmos-c!roger
Bristol     BS12 4SQ        INTERNET:   @col.hp.com:roger@inmos-c