[comp.arch] Connecting chips

lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (04/30/89)

In article <23649@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> matloff@heather.ucdavis.edu
	(Norm Matloff) writes:
>There is still a strong limitation on a chip's
>number of pins, right?  The area of a rectangle grows much faster
>than the perimeter, and of course there are mechanical reasons why
>pins can't be too small.  Thus the ratio of number of I/O channels
>of a chip to bits stored in the chip will probably get worse, not
>better.

I think that solutions are coming along nicely. It would be better if
there was less satisfaction with the current techniques, since they
will be condsidered low-tech in a few years.

About two decades ago, IBM starting interconnecting naked chips,
using thin-film metallization on the face of ceramic substrates.  By
now, they can put ~ 100 chips onto a single substrate. The chips are
bonded face-down on solder "bumps", so bonding pads can be anywhere
on a chip - even in the middle of the chip.

More recently, we are seeing "silicon circuit boards". Companies like
Mosaic use conventional chip bonding, but to a silicon substrate
instead of to a package's lead frame. Several unconventional bonding
schemes are also being tried: for example, flip-bonding onto trenched
cantilevers, or traces that run down the the beveled edges of the
chip. The unconventional schemes pack the chips closer, but all the
schemes get metallization strides of 20 to 40 microns. At 40 microns,
we can get one thousand pins on a one centimeter square chip.

Then, there is the group which etches chip-sized holes in silicon
wafers.  They take tested chips, and "glue" them into the holes so
that the chip's top is planar with the wafer.  The chips (and any
devices in the wafer per-se) can then be interconnected by multilayer
metallization.  Again, there should be no reason to keep the bonding
pads at the periphery of the chips.

I believe that one group proposes to build up polyimide (the major
ingredient of many "medium film" schemes) until it is level with a
chip's top, thus planarizing the hard way. Others are doing the
multilayer interconnect first, before the chips are attached.

Many of these schemes have a further win, namely that they reduce the
size of the on-chip bonding pads. This is a large saving when we're
talking about hundreds of pads. We are also removing the inductance
(etc) of the package pins, and bringing the wafer's chips very close
together. The effect on performance can be considerable. The price is
mitigated by the fact that the overall system may now have a smaller
circuit board with fewer layers.

There is also the possibility of through-wafer electrical vias.  This
would allow wafers to be directly stacked. Even more interesting is
the possibility of through-wafer optical interconnect. Wafers - even
processed ones - are close enough to transparent and nondispersive at
the interesting frequencies. A Bell Labs group has successfully
etched Fresnel lenses on the face of a wafer: they made a row, on 250
micron centers. The idea is not to increase received power: the
lenses were intended to reduce crosstalk.

Even more exciting is the new idea of epitaxial liftoff. In the past
year, three labs have reported success in simply taking the active
surface right off of a chip, in full working order. The technique
involves creating a layer of aluminum arsenide on top of a GaAs
wafer.  Eptiaxial layers are added on top, forming active devices.
The aluminum layer is then etched away (there is a neat trick to
this) and the active layer is just taken off. The nice, thick wafer
is cleaned and used again.

Recently, Seymour Cray revealed that he has been taking working GaAs
chips, 25 mils (600+ microns) thick, and grinding them down to 12
mils (300+ microns). He claimed that the Cray-3 is so tightly
packaged that he had to do this, in order to keep the interconnects
short. Ah hum.  Imagine how pleased he would be if he could get the
chips down to 3 (yes, three) microns thick. One lab has applied the
liftoff process to a chip of transistors: they reported that the
device characteristics were unchanged.  Another lab has applied the
process to a chip laser, five millimeters across.  Afterwards, on
glass, it would still lase happily.

MIT's Cleft technique is similar. One report states, "50-mm-diameter
GaAs layers only 5 to 10 um thick are routinely separated, and much
larger thin wafers are possible." Yes, these are single-crystal
layers. The Cleft technique also works for silicon.

This posting is entirely too long already. But, think! For one, we
could stack chips, not as two slices of toast are stacked, but more
like two sheets of paper. We should be able to test the layers, or
partially test them, before adding them to the stack.  Do we need any
new technology to make a via that's only three microns deep?  (Yes,
yes, we'll need electrical isolation and so on.) Registration is
interesting, not because it has to be precise (big deal, these days)
but because layers like this are "sticky" - an abnormal percent of
their component atoms are on the surface.

Another possibility: why not treat a chip as a substrate, and drop
devices (like lasers) where the bonding pads would have been? Not to
mention putting a solar cell on top, and floating the works onto a
heat sink.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science
--

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (05/01/89)

<4852@pt.cs.cmu.edu> lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>matloff@heather.ucdavis.edu >	(Norm Matloff) writes:
>>There is still a strong limitation on a chip's number of pins, right?
>I think that solutions are coming along nicely.

There are some techniques available in manufacturing now for very dense
systems.  The most common is "chip-on-board".  There are two big problems
with these techniques.  The first is reliability, mainly hermiticity.  A
lot of work has been put into garden-variety run-of-the-mill plastic DIP
packages to get them to an acceptable point.  It's going to be a bit
before some of these advanced techniques can stand up to the same
environmental stresses.  The second problem is testability.  It all goes
back to the controlability/observability issue.  As you start stacking
more and more circuitry between you and the circut under test, this becomes
a nontrivial problem.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337