[comp.arch] CDC 205 et al

g_ahrendt@vaxa.uwa.oz (04/30/89)

1. In regard to an article posted a while back stating that the CDC CYBER 205 is
slower than a Cray 1. This is incorrect. The CDC CYBER 205-424 has been clocked
around 800 MIPS, making it faster than the Cray 1, ETA10-P, ETA10-Q, NEC SX-1,
Cray X/MP-2, IBM Sierra 3090-400/VF, NEC SX-1E.....

2. A second article displayed the following :
>Cray		  US		  X/MP, Y/MP, II       Current US top of line
>Cray		  US		  III (Q3 '90)	       6 ns cycle, GaAs
>NEC/Honeywell	  Japan/US        SX series (Q3 '90)   22 GFlops, 3 ns cycle
>Fujitsu           Japan           VP2000 series	       4 GFlops, uniprocessor
>Fujitsu/Siemens   Japan/Euro      VP2000 series	('90)  16 GFlops, 4 processor
>ETA		  US (sayonara)   ETA-10
>IBM/Steven Chen	  US		  In development
>Hitachi/NAS/Comparex Info. Systeme
>		  Japan/US/FRG	  ??

This is also incorrect, whereas the following gives a more accurate picture,
based on machines actually available, and not scheduled for production.

1. ETA               US 10-G       10.3 Billion Instructions per Second
2. Thinking Machines US CM-2       10   Billion Instructions per Second
3. West German Govt. D  Suprenum 1  5   Billion Instructions per Second
4. ETA               US 10-E        3.4 Billion Instructions per Second
5. NEC               J  SX-X44      3.2 Billion Instructions per Second
6. Cray              US X/MP-416    2.8 Billion Instructions per Second
7. Thinking Machines US CM-1        2   Billion Instructions per Second
8. NEC               J  SX-2        1.3 Billion Instructions per Second

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (05/01/89)

In article <568309@vaxa.uwa.oz> g_ahrendt@vaxa.uwa.oz writes:
 > 1. In regard to an article posted a while back stating that the CDC CYBER 205 is
 > slower than a Cray 1. This is incorrect. The CDC CYBER 205-424 has been clocked
 > around 800 MIPS, making it faster than the Cray 1, ETA10-P, ETA10-Q, NEC SX-1,
 > Cray X/MP-2, IBM Sierra 3090-400/VF, NEC SX-1E.....

I think that this posting uses another definition of MIP.  To wit:  to
execute at 800 MIPS you need either a 1.2 nsec cycle (or better) or multiple
instructions per cycle.  The Cyber 205 has neither.  So it would be best if
the poster posted his definition of MIPS.  And then the remainder can question:
`why another definition of MIPS?'; oh well, as long as it remains meaningless.
Unless the poster intended MFLOPS instead.

 > This is also incorrect, whereas the following gives a more accurate picture,
 > based on machines actually available, and not scheduled for production.
 >
 > 1. ETA               US 10-G       10.3 Billion Instructions per Second
This machine is certainly not scheduled for production.  But I did not
know it was intended to have a 97 psec cycle.  Or are you going
multiprocessor?  This would mean a 32 processor ETA; strange.
INTERNET   : dik@cwi.nl
BITNET/EARN: dik@mcvax

nelson@udel.EDU (Mark Nelson) (05/01/89)

In article <568309@vaxa.uwa.oz> g_ahrendt@vaxa.uwa.oz writes:
>1. In regard to an article posted a while back stating that the CDC CYBER 205 is
>slower than a Cray 1. This is incorrect. The CDC CYBER 205-424 has been clocked
>around 800 MIPS, making it faster than the Cray 1, ETA10-P, ETA10-Q, NEC SX-1,
        ^^^^^^^^
>Cray X/MP-2, IBM Sierra 3090-400/VF, NEC SX-1E.....

    It's important to make the distinction between MIPS and MEGAFLOPS.
The 205 has a 20-nanosecond clock cycle, making it capable of 50 MIPS
(one instruction issued per clock).  For vector floating point, it
has up to four parallel vector "pipes".  And each pipeline is capable
of performing a simultaneous add and multiply (within strong limitations).
So we're up to 50 * 4 * 2 = 400 MegaFLOPS.  The machine gains another
factor of 2 by going to 32-bit floating point data instead of the normal
(for supercomputers) 64-bit floating point.  That gives a peak of
800 MegaFLOPS, but 50 MIPS.
    Looking at another uniprocessor, the NEC SX-2 has a 6-nanosecond
clock (167 MIPS), 4 pipes, and two operations per pipe yielding
167 * 4 * 2 = 1,333 MegaFLOPS.
    For comparison purposes, the Cray-1 gives: 12.5-nsec clock = 80 MIPS
with 2 operations/clock yielding 160 MegaFLOPS.

Going on to multi-processor machines:

Machine      Clock   MIPS  Pipes  FLOPS/  Processors   32-bit      Total
             (nsec)               pipe                 speed-up  (MegaFLOPS)
Cray X-MP/4   8.5    118            2           4                    941
Cray-2        4.1    122*           2           4                   1951
ETA-10G       6.5?   154     2      2           8         2         9846
Cray Y-MP/8   6.     167            2           8                   2667
NEC SX-X      2.9    345     4      4??         4                  22069

Notes:
MIPS  I'm referring to MIPS in one processor.
*  The Cray-2 issues instructions at most every other clock period
   so this is the actual peak MIPS/processor.  For vector instructions,
   results are produced every clock cycle.
?  I'm not positive about this number.  Can anybody tell me what the
   fastest clock cycle on any shipped ETA machine is?
?? Since the SX-X is still the apple in a corp (pun intended) of NEC
   engineers' eyes, I don't have very complete information about it.
   I have numbers for all the other columns for the SX-X, but without
   this fudge factor I can't get them to work out.

   I'm sorry if I left out your favorite machine--these were the only
machines I knew the numbers for off the top of my head, other than the
Cray-3, and since I work for Cray I didn't feel it would be appropriate
to comment on unreleased Cray machines (numbers for the Cray-3 are
easily available).
    Remember that theses are peak speeds for the machines; sort of
computational speeds of light, and average performance for any mix
of programs is likely to be much lower.

>2. A second article displayed the following :
>
>This is also incorrect, whereas the following gives a more accurate picture,
>based on machines actually available, and not scheduled for production.
>
>1. ETA               US 10-G       10.3 Billion Instructions per Second
   I get 1230 MIPS
>2. Thinking Machines US CM-2       10   Billion Instructions per Second
>3. West German Govt. D  Suprenum 1  5   Billion Instructions per Second
>4. ETA               US 10-E        3.4 Billion Instructions per Second
          760 MIPS (10.5 nsec clock 8 processors)
>5. NEC               J  SX-X44      3.2 Billion Instructions per Second
         1380 MIPS (not yet available)
>6. Cray              US X/MP-416    2.8 Billion Instructions per Second
          470 MIPS (basically no longer available new)
>7. Thinking Machines US CM-1        2   Billion Instructions per Second
>8. NEC               J  SX-2        1.3 Billion Instructions per Second
          167 MIPS
9. Cray               US Y-MP
         1333 MIPS

     I've never seen any numbers on the Suprenum project, so I can't
comment on it.  I don't have any of the details on the Thinking Machines
CM-1 and CM-2 with me (I'm home, they're at work) so all I can say is
that since they are SIMD architectures the above BIPS numbers can't
be right, although the numbers might be right for BOPS.  By the way,
Thinking Machines has great sales brouchures--at least one even has
moving parts.

Mark Nelson                 ...!rutgers!udel!nelson or nelson@udel.edu
This function is occasionally useful as an argument to other functions
that require functions as arguments. -- Guy Steele

bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) (05/02/89)

>I think that this posting uses another definition of MIP.

I am not flaming, but has anyone else noticed that MIP is not the
singular of MIPS?  I mean, a "million instructions per" is not
really a unit....

mccalpin@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (John McCalpin) (05/02/89)

In article <568309@vaxa.uwa.oz> g_ahrendt@vaxa.uwa.oz writes:
>... the following gives a more accurate picture,
>based on machines actually available, and not scheduled for production.
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>1. ETA               US 10-G       10.3 Billion Instructions per Second

Not quite.  The above figure is for an 8-cpu ETA-10G, and there exists
no such machine. The only ETA-10G in the world is the 4-cpu machine at
Florida State University.  The 10.3 GFLOPS is also a ridiculously optimistic
estimate.  The peak performance on our 4-cpu machine is about 4.5 GFLOPS.
To get that number up to 5.15 GFLOPS requires an extremely implausible
workload in the scalar processor operating concurrently with the vector
units and never accessing main memory....
--
----------------------   John D. McCalpin   ------------------------
Dept of Oceanography & Supercomputer Computations Research Institute

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (05/02/89)

In article <14353@louie.udel.EDU> nelson@udel.EDU (Mark Nelson) writes:
>Machine      Clock   MIPS  Pipes  FLOPS/  Processors   32-bit      Total
>             (nsec)               pipe                 speed-up  (MegaFLOPS)
>ETA-10G       6.5?   154     2      2           8         2         9846
>Notes:
>?  I'm not positive about this number.  Can anybody tell me what the
>   fastest clock cycle on any shipped ETA machine is?

I thought it was 6.99 nsec in the FSU machine (shipped about a month before the
shutdown of ETA.)  The goal to get to 10GFlops was 7 nsec, hence the strange
number...

  -Todd Burkey
   trb@stag.UUCP

jps@wucs1.wustl.edu (James Sterbenz) (05/04/89)

In article <17817@cup.portal.com> bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) writes:

>I am not flaming, but has anyone else noticed that MIP is not the
>singular of MIPS?  I mean, a "million instructions per" is not
>really a unit....

Yep, and I frequently have to explain why I use "1 MIPS" in
print (although I still have the tendency to say "1 MIP" in
conversation).  Same for FLOPS, although it comes up less frequently
(If it rates at 1MFLOPS, you probably don't care about floating
point :-)

--
James Sterbenz  Computer and Communications Research Center
                Washington University in St. Louis 314-726-4203