[comp.arch] 88K vs. MIPS vs. SPARC vs. 386

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (05/02/89)

I would like to solicit comments concerning certain properties of available
workstations. I'm interested in architectures with a low cost for light-weight
thread context switching, e.g., for process oriented D.E.S.

Of the existing processors, it appears that the 88K is most suitable, since
it doesn't use (1) register windows or (2) a huge register file, both of
which cause a lot of problems when doing a *lot* of context switching.

However, other processors have good attributes, namely they're available
and cheap.

Does anyone, other than Data General, make an 88K box *available now* that
runs a reasonable UNIX (i.e. should be able to run Berkelyish code). Has
anyone had experience with the DG Maverick?
--
Dirk Grunwald
Univ. of Illinois

roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) (05/02/89)

In article <GRUNWALD.89May1131736@flute.cs.uiuc.edu>, grunwald@flute writes:

|I would like to solicit comments concerning certain properties of available
	[stuff deleted]

|Does anyone, other than Data General, make an 88K box *available now* that
|runs a reasonable UNIX (i.e. should be able to run Berkelyish code). Has

FYI, my rumor mill has it the Data General is dropping the 88K as their
CPU and are going to MIPS.  This is a pretty reliable source.

John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92714
Internet: roy@ics.uci.edu

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (05/02/89)

In article <13089@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) writes:

>FYI, my rumor mill has it the Data General is dropping the 88K as their
>CPU and are going to MIPS.  This is a pretty reliable source.

This "reliable source" just crashed.  Not only is this rumor untrue,
but at least in the short term, it's unimaginable, for a variety of reasons.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (05/02/89)

In article <GRUNWALD.89May1131736@flute.cs.uiuc.edu> grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>Does anyone, other than Data General, make an 88K box *available now* that

I for one would be interested in the phone number of the Data General 88K
folks.  That developer's deal looks very nice, and I have a few benchmarks
I'd love to see run on the box.

--
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  ...!uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP
"The NY Times is read by the people who run the country.  The Washington Post

les@unicads.UUCP (Les Milash) (05/02/89)

In article <13089@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) writes:
>FYI, my rumor mill has it the Data General is dropping the 88K as their
>CPU and are going to MIPS.  This is a pretty reliable source.

an RFmR:

Why would they do that?  (any guesses, anybody?)  I mean, the MIPS chipset
is Very Hot, I use it daily, but it seemed the 88K was too.  Is it for
compatability with all the other MIPSs out there?  And it seems embarrasingly
late to switch horses, given all the press... maybe they found a bug
in the 88100 :-) ?

some stupid and unrelated whining (sorry but it had to be said):

The only thing I don't like* about the MIPS product line is that it
seems awfully dumb to have an acronym, however cute, that omits a
key negation ("Microprocessor _WITHOUT_ Interlocking Pipeline Stages").
Maybe there's a bar over the last 3 letters that ascii users can't type?
I know (or think) they inherited the name from the Stanford or CalTech
RISC group or somebody.  Or maybe some marketing person came up with
something else it stands for ("Microprocessor with Increasing Part
Sales"? "May we Invest in a Porsche Soon"?)

sorry.

*i realize that my opinion holds little-to-no weight and is at this
point completely unsolicited by anyone, including my employer (and maybe
it's better that way)
Lester
Hey lightweight opinions! yeah! that's the ticket! you can change your mind
with almost no overhead if nobody cares what you think anyway.

rec@dg.dg.com (Robert Cousins) (05/03/89)

In article <13089@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) writes:
>In article <GRUNWALD.89May1131736@flute.cs.uiuc.edu>, grunwald@flute writes:
>|Does anyone, other than Data General, make an 88K box *available now* that
>|runs a reasonable UNIX (i.e. should be able to run Berkelyish code). Has
>
>FYI, my rumor mill has it the Data General is dropping the 88K as their
>CPU and are going to MIPS.  This is a pretty reliable source.
>
>John M.A. Roy (714) 856-5039
>ICS Dept., Univ. Calif., Irvine CA 92714
>Internet: roy@ics.uci.edu

I can state unequivocally that this rumor is false.  DG likes the 88K
and plans on staying with it.  Why would we want to change?

Robert Cousins
Dept. Mgr, Workstation Dev't
Data General Corporation

Speaking for myself alone.

In article <521@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>I for one would be interested in the phone number of the Data General 88K
>folks.  That developer's deal looks very nice, and I have a few benchmarks
>I'd love to see run on the box.
>Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  ...!uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP

For those of you interested, the person to contact is named
Sandy Friedman and he can be reached at (508)870-6764.  He can
provide all of the information you need or can direct you to the
proper people.

Robert Cousins

Speaking for myself alone.

lord@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Dave Lord) (05/04/89)

In article <13089@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) writes:
>In article <GRUNWALD.89May1131736@flute.cs.uiuc.edu>, grunwald@flute writes:
>|
>|Does anyone, other than Data General, make an 88K box *available now* that
>|runs a reasonable UNIX (i.e. should be able to run Berkelyish code). Has
>
>FYI, my rumor mill has it the Data General is dropping the 88K as their
>CPU and are going to MIPS.  This is a pretty reliable source.

I can pretty much guarantee you that the 88K Maverick exists, is going
to be sold, and if not already being shipped will be 'real soon'.

I have had the oportunity to use said machine and I may or may not
actually be in the process of developing software which will run on
it. (I can't tell you everything now can I?) However, the machine
works and seems to be customer ready.

By the way, you didn't hear this from me. :-)

rec@dg.dg.com (Robert Cousins) (05/05/89)

In article <1916@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com> lord@se-sd.sandiego.NCR.COM (Dave Lord(SSP)) writes:
>In article <13089@paris.ics.uci.edu> roy@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (John M.A. Roy) writes:
>>In article <GRUNWALD.89May1131736@flute.cs.uiuc.edu>, grunwald@flute writes:
>>|Does anyone, other than Data General, make an 88K box *available now* that
>>|runs a reasonable UNIX (i.e. should be able to run Berkelyish code). Has
>>FYI, my rumor mill has it the Data General is dropping the 88K as their
>>CPU and are going to MIPS.  This is a pretty reliable source.

Well, actually, this source wasn't reliable this time.  Who was it?
DG carefully reviewed the architectures of the major (and not so major)
RISC products and decided that the 88K was superior for numerous reasons.
It has scoreboarding which allows architectural freedom to change the
implementation technology.  It has multiprocessor features which makes
DG/UX's multprocessor facilities really fly.  In fact, it is not very
obvious at all why someone would attempt to build a long term architecture
on one of the other RISC platforms which doesn't support these features.

>I can pretty much guarantee you that the 88K Maverick exists, is going
>to be sold, and if not already being shipped will be 'real soon'.

The product was announced in February. . . .

>I have had the oportunity to use said machine and I may or may not
>actually be in the process of developing software which will run on
>it. (I can't tell you everything now can I?) However, the machine
>works and seems to be customer ready.
>
>By the way, you didn't hear this from me. :-)

Actually, The AViiON series is shipping to Design/Win customers and
has been for some period of time.  Third party software is being
developed throughout the 88/Open on this hardware.  It is even being
used to develop the ABI validation suite!

The hardware has been quite stable for a long time.  (I have some
very good people working for me! :-)

Robert Cousins
Dept. Mgr, Workstation Dev't
Data General Corp.

Speaking for myself alone.

ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) (05/09/89)

In <162@dg.dg.com> rec@dg.UUCP (Robert Cousins) wrote:
> In article <1916@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com> Dave Lord(SSP) writes:
>
> The product was announced in February. . . .
>
> >By the way, you didn't hear this from me. :-)

I haven't seen anyone yet mention the Opus/Everex box.  Opus makes UNIX co-
processors for AT-bus machines that are pretty good.  They are now shipping
a 20MHz 88000 card w/20MB ram (model 417-20)  and if you want an Everex 386
clone workstation underpinning it, they have the whole thing as the model 8040
"personal mainframe".  (Enough quotes from their marketing hype)

I happen to have one of these wonderful boxes sitting on my desk.
1st impression:  very nice!
   Once I figured out what I had to do to get everthing and X windows and
TCP/IP up and running (actually - the 8040s come with everything
pre-loaded and configured) I transferred in my main numerical analysis
application and ran my regression test.  In the otherwise unloaded
machine, the GOM benchmarked at 8.39 minutes, versus 21.4 minutes for a
30MHz Intergraph Clipper.  This includes a mix of double precision
floating point (a lot), periodic disk i/o (checkpointing) and the usual
mix of character and integer calculations supporting the main d.p. loops.

2nd impression:  still very nice!
   The X11 version software that I received was beta test and still has
some problems, but its better than waiting for UNIX to access the
"ultragraphics controller" for normal ascii i/o (really! clearing the
screen takes a good 4-6 seconds!)  Additionally, I managed to find a bug
in the pcc compiler (with a work around) and a bug in the ftpd.

   Since I managed to snag the 1st 8040 that they shipped commercially, I
guess that I deserve getting the "low serial number" problems - but that
seems to be normal with us.  Opus Tech Support is very responsive and says
I'll get a new kernal in the next week or so.

   For a price (very steep) source support is available, but we are
operating in a binary-only situation.

3rd impression:  still very nice!

   More information as I glean it.  BTW - the introductory price for this
beast was around 28,000.  20MHz '386, 88000, 330 MB disk, ethernet,
x-windows and Berkely Environment (over SysVr3.2). What a deal.

The Usual disclaimers apply, I am not connected with Opus other than as a
rather satisfied customer (6 machines and one more coming).

--
Greg Woodbury, system programmer and admin (UNIX)
Duke University Center for Demographic Studies