[comp.arch] Hottest Workstation for the money

dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) (05/02/89)

In everyone's personal opinion, what is the hottest workstation
currently available for around $10,000-12,000?  Need Unix (SV or BSD), TCP/IP,
NFS, and graphics (prefer 8bit color).  I already have a great RGB 24'' monitor
and a 600mb SCSI.

What are used Sun 3s going for?  Anyone sell used Suns?

---
Dwight Kelly            UUCP: gatech!npiatl!dkelly
Director R&D            AT&T: (404) 962-7220
Network Publications, Inc    2 Pamplin Drive     Lawrenceville, GA  30245
             Publisher of "The Real Estate Book" nationwide!

mic@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Mic Lacey) (05/04/89)

Hewlett Packard has a good looking 68030 worksataion out.  They rate it
as a 4 mip box.  It comes with 4 meg, expandable to 16, ethernet port,
ieee 488 port, serial port, TC/IP, NFS, X11, and HP-UX (SYSV Unix).

It has a real good price, for a 16" mono it is about $6,000 (I think,
but I don't have my price list here right now) for a 16" color it
is $8,500 (list).  Also HP is now selling their workstaions through
distributers, who I expect will be able to discount the price.

A SCSI interface card is extra, $1,500.

	-Mic Lacey

johnr@ogccse.ogc.edu (John Roberts) (05/05/89)

In article <369@npiatl.UUCP>, dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:
> In everyone's personal opinion, what is the hottest workstation
> currently available for around $10,000-12,000?  Need Unix (SV or BSD), TCP/IP,
> NFS, and graphics (prefer 8bit color).  I already have a great RGB 24'' monitor

Without a doubt..... The Cogent XTM workstation!!!

For around $20K you get two Inmos T800 transputers each with 4 Mbytes of
RAM, a 90 Mbyte hard drive, an 800K floppy drive and a 1024 by 808 by 256
grey scale monitor.  However the most important thing about the system
is that it is scalable!  You can attach a "resource server" with more
processors (and memory).  The operating system has built into it a
communication system called "Linda" which makes parallel programming
much easier than other parallel machines.  The operating system is
highly compatible with Unix System V.

John Roberts
johnr@ogccse.ogc.edu

dds@spsd.uu.net (Dennis D. Sherod) (05/13/89)

In article <2565@ogccse.ogc.edu> johnr@ogccse.ogc.edu (John Roberts) writes:
>In article <369@npiatl.UUCP>, dkelly@npiatl.UUCP (Dwight Kelly) writes:
>> In everyone's personal opinion, what is the hottest workstation
>> currently available for around $10,000-12,000?  Need Unix (SV or BSD), TCP/IP,
>> NFS, and graphics (prefer 8bit color).  I already have a great RGB 24'' monitor
>
>Without a doubt..... The Cogent XTM workstation!!!
>
>For around $20K you get two Inmos T800 transputers each with 4 Mbytes of
>RAM, a 90 Mbyte hard drive, an 800K floppy drive and a 1024 by 808 by 256

Didn't I hear $10,000 - $12,000?  According to the April issue of MIPS
Magazine the hottest workstation box today is the AV-300 (DG Maverick
88K).  AND the price is right...
--
Dennis Sherod, Data General Corporation UUCP:	..!uunet!spsd!dds
1224-B Village Way, Santa Ana, CA 92705 ARPA:	sherod_d@sdsa01.CEO.DG.COM