[comp.arch] Let's split comp.arch!

rcd@ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) (05/17/89)

I am in favor of the sort of stuff Mashey and others post to comp.arch...
we may need to pull things in a bit if they get out of hand, but overall
it's not been unreasonable.  HOWEVER...

In article <948@aber-cs.UUCP>, pcg@aber-cs.UUCP (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
> This is because you are one of the many C programmers that do not understand
> "register" variAbles. Too bad for you and your work.
> Because you are not good enough to do it yourself...
> Moreover your statement demonstrates of shallow understanding of codes and
> chips:...
> Point 1: competent programmers know...
> Point 2: competent architecture designers (save for those that work for Intel
> and other companies that can afford 1.2 millions of transistors :-/)...
> This does not happen to my programs, when it matters. Why does it happen to
> yours? :-( :-)...
> Enough of this unsupported nonsense...

THIS sort of posting can be split out into another group right now, as far
as I'm concerned.  Grandi suddenly showed up with what is (by today's
standards) a rather unusual view of how useful the "register" declaration
can be, but instead of defending this view, he's been attacking the compe-
tence of people who disagree with him.  Maybe that's what he means when he
says:
	(Disclaimer: my statements are purely personal)
but they're still out of place in comp.arch.
--
Dick Dunn      UUCP: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd           (303)449-2870
   ...Relax...don't worry...have a homebrew.