[comp.arch] 370 conventions

alderson@Jessica (Rich Alderson) (04/25/89)

ed@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Ed Schlotzhauer) (05/17/89)

>     "Qualified professional" is a term defined by other qualified
>professionals.

There is no amount of training or degrees or experience that one person
may have that makes another person "unqualified" to attempt whatever he
wants to try.  Most of the major innovations in history have come from
someone who was too ignorant to realize that what he was attempting
was impossible or impractical.  See some of Tom Peters' books on R&D
processes and how things *really* happen.

Don't let anyone tell you that you are unqualified to do something or even
have an opinion! Surprise them -- go do it!

Note: I am speaking of the rather safe and isolated world of computers,
software, and architecture, not brain surgery. "Kids, don't try this at home."

Ed Schlotzhauer "My own opinions, of course.  Who else would want them?"

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (05/19/89)

In article <270001@hpmtlx.HP.COM> ed@hpmtlx.HP.COM ($Ed Schlotzhauer) writes:
>>     "Qualified professional" is a term defined by other qualified
>>professionals.
>
>Don't let anyone tell you that you are unqualified to do something or even
>have an opinion! Surprise them -- go do it!

     And now we have come full circle.  The original discussion concerned
unqualified individuals telling qualified individuals what they should be
doing.  The general consensus among those being told was that those doing
the telling should shut up and get to work and prove us wrong.

     Guy Harris was kind enough to send me this Mike Padlipsky quote:

	Just because you're constitutionally entitled to a personal
	opinion doesn't mean you're constitutionally entitled to a
	professional opinion.

Chuck Musciano			ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 		Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912		AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902		FAX   : (407) 727-{5118,5227,4004}