[comp.arch] Simple query about Cray-2 architecture

ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) (05/19/89)

I have a simple question about the Cray-2.  Does it have basically the
same ARCHITECTURE as the Cray-1 (in terms of number of registers,
instruction format, instruction set etc.?  I'd appreciate e-mail from
anyone in the know as I haven't been able to find too much about it in
the literature (references welcome).

Andy Tanenbaum (ast@cs.vu.nl)

brooks@vette.llnl.gov (Eugene Brooks) (05/19/89)

In article <2556@ast.cs.vu.nl> ast@cs.vu.nl (Andy Tanenbaum) writes:

>I have a simple question about the Cray-2.  Does it have basically the
>same ARCHITECTURE as the Cray-1 (in terms of number of registers,
>instruction format, instruction set etc.?  I'd appreciate e-mail from
>anyone in the know as I haven't been able to find too much about it in
>the literature (references welcome).
The architecture is pretty close, but not close enough for full instruction
set compibility.  The address registers are a full 32 bits, instead of 24.
The number of address, data, and vector registers are the same.  The length
of the vector registers is the same.  There are 64 B and 64 T registers on
the Cray-1, which are replaced by a 16K word local memory on the Cray-2.  The
implementation technology of the Cray-2 limits it to an instruction issue every
other clock, you get one per clock on the Cray-1.  There is no chaining on the
Cray-2, there is chaining on the Cray-1 if you hit the timing right.  Both
machines have one port to memory, compared to three on the XMP series.  The
XMP can run Cray-1 binaries, the Cray-2 can not.  The Cray-2 and later XMP
models support compress and gather/scatter, the Cray-1 does not.

No doubt I made an error somewhere, and someone will flame for for it!

brooks@maddog.llnl.gov, brooks@maddog.uucp