[comp.arch] thriving with your past

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) (05/20/89)

In article <4189@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>IMHO, the 80386 is the first decent micro Intel has done since the 8080.
>And that's the problem. Intel's had too long a history of bad design for most
>of us to accept that the 80386 is anything but a fluke.

The 80960 series of 32 bit embedded control processors, the 80486
series of chips, and the 80860 are all quite impressive to me in
various ways.  Intel has its history to live with because it they have
been so successful with the 8088, but it takes real talent to be able
to live with that history and produce something fast (like the 80486).

By the way, it appear that the i860 programmers manuals are finally
real now.  My local sales office even claimed that they would send me one.

Mike
--
Mike Rutenberg      Reed College, Portland Oregon     (503)239-4434 (home)
BITNET: mdr@reed.bitnet      UUCP: uunet!tektronix!reed!mdr