[comp.arch] Q-M tunneling limitations on feature size ?

naim@eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) (05/17/89)

Can anybody provide a ball park figure for a feature size that will cause
quantum mechanical tunneling effects to cause a chip to malfunction ?

In other words, what is the lower bound on the feature size imposed by
q-m tunneling ? How far away are we from it ?

Please excuse the naive question. I am sure you comp.arch people have beaten
this horse many times, but I am just a software person looking in.

Thank you.

		      Naim Abdullah
		      Dept. of EECS,
		      Northwestern University

		      Internet: naim@eecs.nwu.edu
		      Uucp: {oddjob, chinet, att}!nucsrl!naim

stein@pixelpump.osc.edu (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) (05/18/89)

In article <3810043@eecs.nwu.edu> naim@eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) writes:
>Can anybody provide a ball park figure for a feature size that will cause
>quantum mechanical tunneling effects to cause a chip to malfunction ?
>
>In other words, what is the lower bound on the feature size imposed by
>q-m tunneling ? How far away are we from it ?
Back when I was a undergraduate, I did some metal-insulator-metal and
metal-insulator-superconductor electron tunneling studies.  Naturally,
to examine features such as density of states, and quasi-particle distributions
in these structures, one had to prepare a sample which was robust enough
and possessed the correct dimensions.  Back in the Low Temp Lab at UC Irvine,
one could make sample after sample for days or weeks on end which yielded
no results or just didn't plain work.  But when you were successful,
you measured the hell out it.  Anyways, to answer your question about
how big a tunneling structure must be, I'd say that about 300 Angstroms
for each electrode, separated by an oxide or some other insulator layer of
about 20-30 angstroms is the limit.  I conclude this based on my
interferometric measurements of the junction structure.

A thinner dimension on either electrode was generally not electrically
continuous, although one could use a "cold fab" technique whereby one
cooled the substrate to liquid nitrogen temperatures and vacuum evaporated
a layer.  This technique usually prevented "islands" from cropping up
along the electrode, and tended to make it continous.

The thing that always got me about building tunneling junctions was how
the local smog concentration affected the production process.  Maxwell's
demon is alive and well in the experimental low temp. solid state
physics world that I used to know.
>Thank you.
Your welcome.
-=-
Richard M. Stein (aka Rick 'Transputer' Stein)
Office of Research Computing @ The Ohio Supercomputer Center
Ghettoblaster vacuum cleaner architect and Trollius semi-guru
Internet: stein@pixelpump.osc.edu

jjb@sequent.UUCP (Jeff Berkowitz) (05/22/89)

In article <3810043@eecs.nwu.edu> naim@eecs.nwu.edu (Naim Abdullah) writes:
>Can anybody provide a ball park figure for a feature size that will cause
>quantum mechanical tunneling effects to cause a chip to malfunction ?

I recommend "Introduction to VLSI Systems", Mead & Conway, Addison-Wesley,
1980.  This old book is still a good way for people without a background
in semiconductors to at least get some appreciation of the issues.  In
chapter 1 Mead writes

	Finally, there appears to be a fundamental limit
	of approximately one-quarter micron channel length,
	where certain physical effects such a the tunneling
	through of the gate oxide...begin to make devices of
	smaller dimension unworkable.

Chapter nine has a more extensive discussion of the limits to scaling.
--
Jeff Berkowitz N6QOM			uunet!sequent!jjb
Sequent Computer Systems		Custom Systems Group