[comp.arch] World War III in RISC-land

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (05/23/89)

In article <674@pitstop.West.Sun.COM> (Adrian Cockroft) writes:

>A large number of comp.arch readers are interested in embedded
>realtime and a large number of SPARC designs are  in this category.
	Can you list for us the realtime designs that are public?
	(I just haven't kept track).
>For them an integer unit is all you need. I take the points about
>availability of full chipsets at hign clock rates.
	Any sensible high-performance SPARC design will use a cache,
	and so you still need cache control.
	Some embedded designs seriously want floating-point.
	Note that getting rid of an MMU will help the parts count,
	I don't know if it saves much on the cycle time (if the
	MMU is the critical path, it will; if the cache is on the critical
	path, it won't.)

>John's questions about clones exceeding Sun in SPARC production rates
>were interesting, how long did it take for IBM to drop below 50%
>of the PC market? What happened to the (uncloned) DEC Rainbow in the meantime?
>(The above is not architecture but it is short - don's asbestos Y-fronts.. :-)

I don't know the answer to this.  However, I observe that this particular
analogy must be treated with caution.  Note that IBM and Sun have traditionally
pursued rather different pricing policies.  What certainly makes sense in
one case (clone something that is "IBM-priced", and whose software comes almost
entirely from 3rd-parties, so you get it when IBM does), does not necessarily
make sense when dealing with somebody who tends to price very aggressively,
and which controls for much of the key software (regardless of who licensed
from).  This doesn't say Suns won't be cloned  (I suspect they will),
but that one cannot take as a given:
	IBM did PCs, and people cloned them massively. (X)
	implies
	Sun does SPARCstations, and people will clone them massively. (Y)

(Note: logically, I'm asserting ! (X ==> Y), I'm not asserting !Y.)

>On architecture, my OPINION is that there are a lot of good design tems
>around and that anyone who wants to build their own processor can
>have a lot of implementation freedom while still being SPARC binary
>compatible and getting the software base without having to
>start from scratch.
	This is clearly sensible, for example, for somebody like PRISMA,
	who is doing something usefully different.  The point is that
	different implementations had better have different reasons for
	existence, not just because anyone "wants to build their own processor".
	There may be "a lot of good design teams around", but there are NOT
	a lot of first-class, leading-edge-of-performance, VLSI microprocessor
	design teams around: as far as I can tell, even huge companies
	usually don't have more than a couple apiece of such things.

>On cost issues, John says:
>> Both SPARC and MIPS
>	need the same speed vanilla SRAMs at the same clock rate, I think,
>
>I disagree and so do Cypress (who sell SRAMs to MIPS?) MIPS need much
>faster SRAMS because of their two phase memory bus at a given clock
>rate. We could try to compare the 25MHz 4/330 CPU to a
>MIPS based CPU board to settle this.

1) (FACT) We don't use Cypress SRAMs for our caches.

2) (FACT) Here is some data, as you asked; somebody please post a definitive
number for the SPARCsystem300: I did a quick ask around, bit none of my
usual sources knew.  In any case, here are some straight current comparisons:

Machine		CPU	Cycle	SRAM Acc.T.

M/2000-6	R3000	50ns	25ns
SPARCStation1	LSIL	50ns	25ns	[I looked at a picture; both cache tags
					and cache data marked -25s]
M/2000-8	R3000	40ns	20ns
SPARCsystem300	Cypress	40ns	??	[I couldn't find one to look at]

(Note: everyone will benefit from the forthcoming latched SRAMs).

3) (OPINION) One must be careful not to take on faith what ANY competitor says
about another, unless they have an exceptional record for care and
straightness (and one must still watch them).
Alternatively, one needs enough knowledge to know whether something said:
	a) is plausible.
	b) is actually true.
	c) is false.
	d) is FACTOID, made-up-on-purpose, then propagated as though FACT,
	in some cases despite the ready availability of correct data.
In this case, the assertion sounds plausible (a), and is a clear statement of
fact, and hence has a chance of being verified.  Whether it is true (b),
is yet to be determined.  Certainly, the only directly comparble
pair (50ns) argues the other direction.  I'm not sure whether one would
count the difference between 20 and 25ns as "much faster".
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253