[comp.arch] are N designs better than 1?

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (05/09/89)

In article <658@pitstop.West.Sun.COM> (Adrian Cockcroft) writes:

>In the real world the main thing to optimise is price/performance so we
>should be looking at what MIPS/MFLOPS can be achieved within a given
>development timescale, development budget and unit cost. Thats fine for
Yes.
>embedded controllers but for Unix boxes there is also the issue of applications
Yes.
>software. SPARC has over 500 applications, increasing at a very high rate.
>What do the other vendors claim? Sun claims that SPARC has more
>applications software than all other RISC systems put together in a recent
>SPARCware glossy.
Counting applications is even harder than counting mips-numbers.
I believe Sun has a very good 3rd-party catalog, but counting total numbers
is very akin to counting average-mips numbers.
I'm tracking down some current data on this and will post something next week.
What I do know is that Sun is ahead in some application areas, but
not others...

>Given the same development resources and the same types of implementation
>that might be true. Right now there are more design teams working on more
>different future SPARC implementations because it is licensed to TI, Fujitsu,
>Cypress/Ross Technology, LSI, Prisma, Solbourne etc. The 88K only has
>Motorola and MIPS do all the chip designs themselves. I think that the
>competition between SPARC vendors to have the best performance will
>encourage more innovative developments. Right now Cypress has 40 MHz SPARC
>available, MIPS are at 25 MHz? 88K at 20 MHz?

I thought this was a dead topic, but since it has now been raised again,
I'm forced to point out some FACTS (note that the above discussion
is a mixture of FACT (SPARC is licensed...), OPINION ("I think"),
and FACTOID ("Right now Cypress...")
	 (well, I will offer a few OPINIONs, too :-)

1) (OPINION): N overlapping chip designs for the same architecture
are not necessarily better than one really good design, for the same reason
that having N software teams doing the same job may (or may NOT) be as
effective as having one really-experienced team doing a project.
I observe that there are relatively few world-class, leading-edge, proven,
high-performance VLSI microprocessor design teams around, who can do good
architecture AND implementation.  Anybody who is trying to play in this
game, with their own design, but without such a team is probably wasting
their time.

(FACT) Anyway, there are 2 opposing OPINIONS:
	a) (SUN OPINION) it's better to have lots of designs, and let them
	compete.
	b) (MIPS OPINION) it's better to do one design, get multiple
	pin-compatible sources for it, plus (maybe) variants of packaging and
		other attributes as needed.
Right now, Adrian's OPINION is just that.  I'll suggest below some
data points that might help evaluate this OPINION, plus some milestones
for the future.

2)  Mr. Cockcroft apparently believes the Cypress numbers mean something.
33MHz parts were supposed to be sampling almost a year ago, and certainly were
supposed to be in production 3Q/4Q 88.  Why do I think this is meaningless?

ANS: because you must build a SYSTEM out of this stuff, not just an
integer unit.  For a UNIX system, in particular, you must buy/build a
SYSTEM that runs at the given speed, i.e.:
	CPU (Integer Unit = IU)
	MMU
	cache control
	cache
	FPU (and FP controller, if you need a separate one)
	external memory interface
	any other glue needed

Trumpeting the speed of the IU alone is silly, if you can't get EVERYTHING
to run at that speed.  Some controller applications might omit the FPU,
and have a simplified MMU, of course.

We only have one data point: 33MHz Cypress IUs were sampled almost a year
ago; nevertheless, I know of NO 33MHz Cypress-based SYSTEMS on the market,
delivered in production form to end users. Given that SPARCstation/system 300s
(25MHz) have 60-90-day AROs, that means that the approximate
date of (25MHz) shipment is something like June/July 1989. (Note these are
the small 300s; the big ones are 120-150 days ARO, I think).
I'll be glad to hear if anybody is shipping 33MHz Cypress-based systems to
update this.
Note: Sun:
	1) is a fine systems organization, experienced in turning out designs
	that push technology, and doing it fairly quickly
	2) participated heavily in the design/implementation of this chip,
	so nothing about it should surprise them.
There was STILL a year elapsed time between IU samples and
shipped product, even by a quick, knowledgable organization.  I suspect this
means that it will take most others a while longer to get there.

I often use a car analogy, with the CPU as engine.  It doesn't do you
any good to have a high-RPM engine if you can't build the rest of the
car to match.

FACT: R3000s first sampled about a year ago; at least 2 companies
(MIPS & SGI) have shipped 25MHz systems, as early as 4Q88.  I suspect
you may see a few others soon, in the 20-25MHz range.

3) [FACT] To get back to observable reality, let's look at dates, clock rates,
and relative performance of chips in SYSTEMS, using dates of production
shipment (not beta, or selected ISVs, but when you as a random customer,
get one after you call up and order it.)  This reduces the difficulty
of comparing things that are shipping with those that are "announced",
but you can't get.  (Note that in these days of big performance jumps
each year, something that is spectacular at one point is ho-hum if
delivered 6-12 months later. (EEK! life is harder than it used to be!)
Unless you're right in the middle of things,
it's hard to tell what's real, and what's just "announced".)

To keep this simple, assume that Dhry-mips are Dhrystone mips,
and VAX-mips are VAX-relative mips the way MIPS measure them.
In both cases, for simplicity here, these are just single-program
integer performance ratios, ignoring both floating-point and multi-tasking
ones.  People can argue with me on the integer VAX-mips assignments (*),
but I claim that the numbers in the MIPS Performance Brief show rough
parity amongst the systems that I gave similar numbers to, at least
on integer performance.  (this is not necessarily the case on floating
point or multi-user performance, although the later SPARCs have improved
at least some on the former.  I have no data on the new ones for the latter.
All I've got on the newest SPARCs are Dhrystone (1.1, no gimmicks),
and DP/SP FORTRAN LINPACK.  Still, one can gain some data from these.
There's a new Performance Brief that will be out in another week or so,
that has all these numbers integrated, so I won't duplicate that here.)

OF COURSE, SINGLE-NUMBER MIPS-NUMBERS ARE Wrong Things, but here are
the machines generally on leading-edge of performance curve for uniprocessor
RISC chips, ignoring other machines done with lower clock rates in meantime:

CMOS RISC micro uniprocessors:
Sorted by date, with MIPS using numerics and SPARC using alphas:
Code	Clock	Dhry	VAX	date	machine
	MHZ	mips	mips
1	12.5	11	8	2Q87	MIPS M/800, R2000+128K cache
2	15	13	10	4Q87	MIPS M/1000, R2000+128K cache
A	16.7	11	8*	4Q87	Sun-4/200, Fujitsu+128K cache
3	16.7	16	12	2Q88	MIPS M/120-5, R2000+128K cache
4	25	24	20	4Q88	MIPS M/2000, R3000+128K cache
B	25	16	12*	2Q89	SPARCsystem 300s, Cypress+128K cache
C	33	20	16*?	4Q89?	SunRay, Cypress+??

Now, let's graph this, with uniprocessor performance as shown in
earliest production ships of the faster machines:
VAX-	---- 1987 ----| ----- 1988 ---| ---- 1989 ----|
mips	1Q  2Q	3Q  4Q	1Q  2Q	3Q  4Q	1Q  2Q	3Q  4Q
20				    4
18
16			    			    C?
14
12			    3		    B
10		    2
 8	    1	    A
 6
 4
 2

Now, one can argue about jiggles of a few months, or a vax-mips,
but some useful conclusions so far:
	a) The A-B-C curve didn't double performance every year.
	Assuming the SunRay gets out 4Q, it will be two years.
	b) It is hard to find any evidence in this chart that the 3 different
	implementations (A, B, C) are providing FASTER systems EARLIER
	than the 2 related implementations (1-2-3, 4).  It is impossible
	to predict the future, however.
	c) (OPINION): I don't think the CPU-kit costs for the SPARC
	implementations cost less than the MIPS ones.  This can be seen,
	for example, in LSI Logic selling (last fall) both SPARC & MIPS
	CPUs for $10/mips (using the vendor's ratings of mips).
	R3010 FPUs usually cost 1.5X-2X the corresponding CPU.
	12.5MHz R3000s have recently been quoted at $60 in quantity.
	If you compare against the new Sun products, the MIPS ones
	always save on the MMU, and cache control, and sometimes
	save on an FPC (except versus SPARCstation1, which uses the Weitek
	single-chip solution; the 300's use an FPC+TI8847.)  They probably
	use a few more chips for write-buffers.  Anyway, I suspect the
	cost of the complete kit is usually lower for MIPS, based on counts
	of the big and/or fast parts in such designs.  Both SPARC and MIPS
	need the same speed vanilla SRAMs at the same clock rate, I think,

Given that C (SunRay) increases the clock rate of B by 1.32, unless something
unusual is being done, if the performance of B and 3 are comparable,
the performance of C will be around 16-real-vax-mips-on-the-MIPS-scale.
(In fact, to actually achieve performance scale-up with clock rate,
one MUST do something
extra, as DRAM latency (in cycles) is worse; presumably, as a high-end,
one would expect the SunRay to have ECC (the SPARCsystem300 seems to
have parity-only, even when offered as a rack-mount server), and ECC
often costs you a cycle.  Hence, the SUnRay will ahe to work harder to
get the clokc-rate scale-up.  Possibilities include bigger caches or
deeper write-buffers, for example (if it's a write-thru cache).

Another way to put this: if somebody can ship a 40MHz Cypress SPARC,
in a production system, this year, they'll catch up with the 25MHz
4Q88 MIPS product....

This illustrates the next rule of RISCars: there's RPM at the engine,
and there's speed on the road....

FACT: here's a fairly straightforward head-to-head comparison:
Both Cypress CY7C601 and MIPS R3000 are full-custom CMOS, and Cypress says that
its process is the best, that "the competition is 2 to 3 generations behind".
(quote from Cypress seminar book.)
If this is so, the effective performance in a system STILL hasn't caught up
with those chips that are in processes "2 to 3 generations behind"....
(OPINION: This generation stuff is nonsense, by the way.)

FACT:
There's another good head-to-head coming up.
As has been widely published, Sun is building an ECL system
with technology from BIT (Bipolar Integrated Technologies).
Although it has NOT been widely published, but has been admitted to,
MIPS is also building an ECL system, also working with BIT.
As it happens, these two projects actually started about the same time
(late 1986), and they use exactly the same technology, so there will be
a really fascinating comparison in early 1990.  (BTW: related to some
earlier discussions in this newsgroup on the structure of the industry,
(OPINION) either or both of these VLSI ECL RISCs are going to cause serious
trouble in some parts of the mini-super business, as they should have
ridiculously low cost/mips for mainframe-class CPU performance,
with no special programming required, and with inexpensive and plentiful
low-end systems to have gathered software. (OPINION) one must also
assume that DG's claim of 100-mips ECL 88K's in 1991 is sandbagging:
CMOS/BiCMOS chips will be banging around near that performance level
that year also, so ECL should either be earlier or faster....

>For a really nice multiprocessor implementation check out the Cypress CY7C605
>Multiprocessor Cache/MMU (CMU-MP). It is designed by the people who left
>the Motorola 88K design team to set up Ross Technology. Cypress gave a series
>of seminars earlier this year and there is a good description in their RISC
>seminar notebook.

(OPINION) The CY7C605 looks like a nice part.
(FACT)  Note that it is not shipping yet.  Note that it seems different
from the Reference MMU specified a while back, which is also different
from the ones Sun uses in most SPARC-based products.
(OPINION): there would be a lot more design wins for SPARC if this part
and it's cousin, the CY7C604, had been designed along with the IU.
Many wins have been lost over the confusion of different parts and
combinations thereof.  Presumably there will time for Cypress to
make some money on these things before the Sun/TI BiCMOS thing obsoletes
them....

Finally, since this whole topic was raised by Mr. Cockcroft, there are
are a few facts that he may not have been aware of, and then I have
a few questions that I just can't resist:

FACT: it is well-known that Sun is working very hard with TI on
the next-generation BiCMOS superscalar superchip, i.e., the moral equivalent
of the Intel i860 or MIPS R(something).  Presumably, Cypress will
second-source this.  I have no idea whether Fujitsu or LSIL get to
second-source it or not; Solbourne is of course working on its own.

FACT: the MIPS semiconductor partners were picked, at least partially,
to both overlap some (to have true multiple sources & competition),
but also to have enough different specialties that they all make
money and be able to stay in this game for multiple rounds.  Note that
our partners don't spend a ton of money designing CPUs from scratch;
they spend that money in marketing, support, support chips,
or chip variations, yield improvements, etc.....i.e., things that
semiconductor companies do especially well.

Now, for some questions (my opinions on the answers appear later):

Q1: what is the first year in which some other vendor will ship more
SPARC-based UNIX systems than Sun?

Q2: what is the first year in which all other UNIX vendors put together
will ship more SPARC-based systems than Sun?

Q3: what is the first year in which some other vendor will ship more
SPARC-based systems than Sun?

Q4: If you're a semiconductor vendor, and you do a SPARC design from
scratch (not second source), you spend a lot of money, especially if
you're serious about architecture.  What happens if you aren't one of
the close-coupled partners for the "next round"?  Do you do one on your own to
stay competitive, or do you drop out? (OPINION: looks like LSIL is the
big winner in the current round, if they are indeed supplying all of the
IUs for the SPARCstation1, which is of course, the high-volume product.
Perhaps some of the units are from Fujitsu, which otherwise appears not
to be supplying ANY of the parts on this round.... maybe next round,
or maybe they've got plenty of alternate customers, as Sun-4/[12]xxx
go away.)

OPINIONS:
A1: never.  (since, after all, this means than somebody appears from
	nowhere and beats out Sun at building SPARC-based workstations;
	Solbourne is clearly the front-runner in this race so far....)
A2: probably never.
	less clear; it certainly won't happen this year. Sun claims it
	will ship 30K SPARCstations in 1989, 100K+ in 1990, and
	240K in 1991.  Unless a few more vendors appear quickly, it
	is hard to believe that any bunch of them will beat this.
	If you are doing a SPARC workstation design, you'd better be
	doing something at a different design point than the SPARCstation1,
	because it's a nice design, and you're unlikely to beat Sun on
	volume (and therefore, probably on cost).
A3: maybe sometime, since presumably Xerox will get them into printers
or copiers.  Presumably there are some more embedded applications lurking
around out there, although we haven't seen them much in that domain,
atlhough enough of it is indirect that we might not anyway.
(Perhaps the 29K or i960 folks might care to comment; or the Sun folks
to mention embedded designs that are public.)  We REALLY won't know
until products are actually announceed and shipped (as some of the
companies listed as SPARC-committed are not as committed as all that....
so it is very hard to know what to believe of "design-win" counts.)

A4: I wouldn't be surprised to see one (I don't know which) of the
partners drop out by next year, at least on doing independent new designs.

SUMMARY:

1) Objectively, Sun has a fine 3rd-party catalog.
One does need to do more than counting total applications, and I'll
see if I can dig out some relevant info in the next week or so.
(that's a whole separate discussion, and this is already long enough.)

2) The OPINION that it is better to have a whole bunch of overlapping
designs going on, is a OPINION.  So far, I haven't seen much evidence to support
that opinion.  Maybe there will be in the future.  We'll see how the
ECL war comes out; we'll see when CMOS SPARCs catch R3000s in
performance in a delivered system;
we'll see when we get the comparison of the super* chips in 1990.

3) Note that this whole discussion started when somebody asked for some
objective criteria for comparing RISCs....objective criteria, not marketing
OPINION.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) (05/10/89)

If John Mashey can post 300+ lines of marketing counter-measures, then I can
post a few lines about my OPINIONS too.

I think these discussions are very interesting, after all, I did read all
of John's posting, but they are nearly completely inappropriate for comp.arch,
IN MY OPINION.  Even the note that precipitated John's note was dicey.

I understand why John posted:  there is a sensitivity to inaccurate
statements, perceived or actual, that are interpreted as slurs against one's
own stuff.  How many times I have resisted the urge....  But, my gosh, there
was so little architecture content that I was distressed.

Disclaimers:  I am not without sin in this area.  I still like and encourage
your postings, John.  This group would certainly be dry without a little
"feet on the ground, how to sell this stuff"-type discussion.  Yes, I can
simply skip any particular note or complete discussion that I don't like.
Maybe I am alone in my interpretation of John's note.  If so, just tell me
to go away.

BUT, this seems on the verge of getting out of hand.  I mean, the performance
brief stuff is one thing.  However, when I see terms like "price-performance"
etc. in a comp.arch posting I look sideways at the content.

Again:  I am not without sin here.  Witness this note!  I am saying we
should all work harder to stay true to the subject.

stein@oscsuna.osc.edu (Rick 'Transputer' Stein) (05/10/89)

In article <18154@cup.portal.com> bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) writes:
>Again:  I am not without sin here.  Witness this note!  I am saying we
>should all work harder to stay true to the subject.

There's an old saying that goes like:

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, and weak
minds discuss people."
--
Richard M. Stein (aka Rick 'Transputer' Stein)
Office of Research Computing @ The Ohio Supercomputer Center

mpogue@dg.dg.com (Mike Pogue) (05/10/89)

John Mashey says:
>(OPINION) one must also
>assume that DG's claim of 100-mips ECL 88K's in 1991 is sandbagging:
>CMOS/BiCMOS chips will be banging around near that performance level
>that year also, so ECL should either be earlier or faster....

  DG is typically VERY conservative about schedules and performance estimates....
This is in stark contrast to most of the chip vendors (Intel is a major
culprit here) who announce "available now" when they mean "we have built
a few and they kinda work", and "clock frequencies of N Mhz (where N is
large)" when they really mean "it works at room temperature at N Mhz, if
you have 5ns zero wait state RAMs".

  As an example:

  I took a look at the Intel i860 Processor Performance brief (Release 1.0),
and it quotes 40Mhz CPUs (although their benchmark system is only 33Mhz),
and at that frequency they quote ZERO WAIT STATE MEMORY, and BUGFREE silicon!

Intel's Linpack numbers are not even on real hardware.  They are simulated,
using assembly coded BLAs, and they assume that all the y[i] reside in the
cache.  The BLAs are written unrolled (4 results per 17 clocks).  And they say
"The projected performance takes into account future improvements in the
vectorizer, compilers, and vector libraries."

In my experience:

  MIPS is a LOT better at providing real numbers, and Sun is better than Intel
(although I understand that their claims for the Sparcstation are still more
like PEAK numbers than sustained numbers.  Anybody have any REAL data?).

  My preference is to have a third party do the numbers (no fudging allowed!).
Look for an upcoming issue of MIPS magazine for a relatively unbiased set of
numbers on our AViiON ($7995) workstation.

  Anybody know how the SPEC group is doing (John Mashey?)?

Mike Pogue
Data General Corp.
Westboro, MA.

These are my opinions, nobody elses....

rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) (05/11/89)

In article <18154@cup.portal.com> bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) writes:

>brief stuff is one thing.  However, when I see terms like "price-performance"
>etc. in a comp.arch posting I look sideways at the content.

But remember that "factory-cost/performance" is quite to the point of comp.arch.

   Paul K. Rdman
   rodman@Multiflow.com

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (05/12/89)

In article <19088@winchester.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
(many things: summary: a comparison of RISC systems, etc.)

>OF COURSE, SINGLE-NUMBER MIPS-NUMBERS ARE Wrong Things, but here are

>Sorted by date, with MIPS using numerics and SPARC using alphas:
>Code	Clock	Dhry	VAX	date	machine
>	MHZ	mips	mips
>1	12.5	11	8	2Q87	MIPS M/800, R2000+128K cache
>2	15	13	10	4Q87	MIPS M/1000, R2000+128K cache
>A	16.7	11	8*	4Q87	Sun-4/200, Fujitsu+128K cache
>3	16.7	16	12	2Q88	MIPS M/120-5, R2000+128K cache
>4	25	24	20	4Q88	MIPS M/2000, R3000+128K cache
>B	25	16	12*	2Q89	SPARCsystem 300s, Cypress+128K cache
>C	33	20	16*?	4Q89?	SunRay, Cypress+??

There has been enough of this kind of traffic over the last few years to
probably justify a separate newsgroup for *performance* : comp.perf?

It *is* interesting to *me* to hear arguments over whether Mips, SPARC, or 88000
based RISC systems provide the most CPU power for the dollar, as well as
performance summaries on various benchmarks.  Since these things are a little
more "commercial" than many would like to see comp.arch, as well as more
"personal" (facts vs. opinions, etc.), it would help keep an eye on more
architectural issues if they were in a separate newsgroup.

A few quick questions:

The chart supplied shows R2000 based systems falling in
at about MIPS = 2/3 MHz, with R3000 based systems at MIPS = 8/10 MHz.
(1 data point, but you could also look at claims by other companies using
the Mips CPU's...)

(Agreed: Single number MIPS ratings are Wrong Things, but since we are
looking at Integer Benchmarks within a particular architecture, maybe it is
possible to ask a question or two...)

What is the explanation for this change?

Could we expect to see the next generation of SPARC systems make a similar
leap forward (why or why not)?

How do 88000 based systems stack up, using the same criteria?

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035
  Phone:  (415)694-6117

In article <18154@cup.portal.com> bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian bcase Case) writes:
>I think these discussions are very interesting, after all, I did read all
>of John's posting, but they are nearly completely inappropriate for comp.arch,
>Maybe I am alone in my interpretation of John's note.  If so, just tell me
>to go away.

Please go away. :-)

It suffices that the discussions are interesting, factual (an all too
common problem area for many posters, but *not* John), and more or less
relevant.  Splitting hairs about whether it "really belongs" in comp.arch
is silly; where else would it go?  Like it or not, issues of implementation
affect architectures.
--
Mars in 1980s:  USSR, 2 tries, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
2 failures; USA, 0 tries.      | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (05/12/89)

In article <169@dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!mpogue (Mike Pogue) writes:

>  MIPS is a LOT better at providing real numbers, and Sun is better than Intel
>(although I understand that their claims for the Sparcstation are still more
>like PEAK numbers than sustained numbers.  Anybody have any REAL data?).
OPINION: this is a typical difference between a systems company and a chip
company; not surprising, given the differing natures of business.

>  My preference is to have a third party do the numbers (no fudging allowed!).
>Look for an upcoming issue of MIPS magazine for a relatively unbiased set of
>numbers on our AViiON ($7995) workstation.
This will be good to see.  The only caveat to be careful of is that nobody
is better than the vendor at optimizing code for their own machine, i.e.,
they really know the options and how to use them.  This leads to a good
set of rules of thumb:
	The best benchmarks are run by a 3rd-party, with a vendor looking
	over their should saying "Use -O3!".
	Even with the most honest attitude in teh world, a vendor will
	always use the best options on their own machine, and may miss some
	when running the same benchmark on somebody else's.

>  Anybody know how the SPEC group is doing (John Mashey?)?
Yep.  We're closing in the the contents of the first tape, which basically
represent mostly technical [CASE, system commands, ECAD, MCAD, scientific]
benchmarks for the first round.  We're busy trading benchmarks around
and checking them out, with the following sorts of rules:
	1) code has to be reasonably portable
	2) code must be public-domain, or copyleft, or something whose
	source can be given out for benchmarking purposes.
	3) The program has to have a nontrivial I-cache or D-cache use,
	or both.
	4) The program should run, at least, about 60 seconds on an
	8-VUPs machine; preferably more like 5-10 minutes [but you'd
	be surprised how HARD it is to get reasoanble benchmarks that
	do this.....]
	5) The benchmarks must be real applications, or at worst
	large hunks of code from real applications.
	6) There must be some added value in us working on this,
	i.e., there is little value for us to include Livermore Loops,
	as it already does what it does, is widely used, etc.
I'll publish some more details a bit later; right now I'm in frenzy
state getting the details together for a "bench-a-thon: or "SPECtacle",
where we hook up a bunch of machines and do the last crunch of
trying to get exactly the same sources, and well-paramaterized makefiles,
and consistent documentation, for this.  This will happen in June,
followed by a 2-month review by all of the rest of the SPEC members,
and then we'll issue the first round tape as we continue evaluating
benchmarks for the next round.  In second round we hope to get more
systems-y and/or commercial benchmarks.  [In fact, if by some miracle,
somebody out there has some really good COBOL benchmarks....]
That's all for now; more later.

jkrueger@daitc.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) (05/12/89)

In article <169@dg.dg.com>, mpogue@dg (Mike Pogue) writes:
>My preference is to have a third party do the numbers (no fudging allowed!).

My preference is for a first party: me.  If you publish figures from
commonly available benchmarks, I can replicate them later.  And I'm
more inclined to trust them in the meantime.

Third party benchmarking is exactly as good as the third party.  I
have no better basis to evaluate their work than yours.  "No fudging
allowed" is a pious hope.  The history of testing organizations does
not support it.  Does MIPS magazine get its support exclusively from
its readers?  For how many years?

When the goal is measurement, why shouldn't the test conditions and
predicted outputs be made publicly available?  If a "third party" were
to announce cold fusion, we'd all be forgiven for wanting to see
outside replication.  And although it may be hard to believe right
now, computer benchmarking is actually a more sordid business than
nuclear physics.  Well, okay, it's close :-)

>Look for an upcoming issue of MIPS magazine for a relatively unbiased set
>of numbers on our AViiON ($7995) workstation.

Oh, I see...the DATA is ELSEWHERE?

Please, how about some real data?

You find it convenient enough to post your product name and price in
this forum.  Why then is it too much trouble for you to provide data,
for instance the specific data to back up your performance claims?

-- Jon

Jonathan Krueger
...uunet!daitc!jkrueger     jkrueger@daitc.mil     (703) 998-4600
		My opinions are not necessarily those of my wallpaper.

thomson@hub.toronto.edu (Brian Thomson) (05/13/89)

In article <25294@ames.arc.nasa.gov> lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:
>There has been enough of this kind of traffic over the last few years to
>probably justify a separate newsgroup for *performance* : comp.perf?
> Since these things are a little
>more "commercial" than many would like to see comp.arch, as well as more
>"personal" (facts vs. opinions, etc.), it would help keep an eye on more
>architectural issues if they were in a separate newsgroup.

I would agree, except I think these issues are too closely related to
be profitably separated in the way suggested here.  Performance and
cost of manufacture are two primary, mutually antagonistic, driving
forces in architectural innovation today.  Divorcing them from
the architecture discussion would make comp.arch a wasteland of
conjecture, unsupportable assertion, surmised value and supposed benefit.

Hmm, maybe not such a big change after all ...
--
		    Brian Thomson,	    CSRI Univ. of Toronto
		    utcsri!uthub!thomson, thomson@hub.toronto.edu

mccalpin@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (John McCalpin) (05/13/89)

In article <18154@cup.portal.com> bcase@cup.portal.com (Brian Case) writes:
>I think these discussions are very interesting, after all, I did read all
>of John's posting, but they are nearly completely inappropriate for comp.arch,
>IN MY OPINION.  Even the note that precipitated John's note was dicey.
>BUT, this seems on the verge of getting out of hand.  I mean, the performance
>brief stuff is one thing.  However, when I see terms like "price-performance"
>etc. in a comp.arch posting I look sideways at the content.

It seems to me that in the "real" world, price is an unavoidable factor
to consider along with performance.

I think it is very interesting to see these unofficial representatives of
the various vendors slugging it out.  The only one who writes what look
exactly like advertisements is Robert Cousins of Data General.  The Sun
and MIPS folks have been remarkably restrained, in my estimation.

I don't know what fraction of the comp.arch reader base I represent,
but I read this newsgroup as an interested layman and low-volume customer.
I think that I learn more about the merits of the various products
by a somewhat heated debate than by an entirely sanitized one.
--
John D. McCalpin - Dept of Oceanography - Florida State University
mccalpin@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu		mccalpin@nu.cs.fsu.edu

khb%chiba@Sun.COM (Keith Bierman - SPD Languages Marketing -- MTS) (05/16/89)

In article <169@dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!mpogue (Mike Pogue) writes:

>  MIPS is a LOT better at providing real numbers, and Sun is better than Intel
>(although I understand that their claims for the Sparcstation are still more
>like PEAK numbers than sustained numbers.  Anybody have any REAL data?).

The widely published Sun figures are derived from taking popular (but
generally silly) benchmarks and computing the geometric mean vs. the
mvII. I am sorry, but I must refuse to debate the merits of this
approach publically.

There are groups at Sun who run customer benchmarks (up to a million
lines of code or so) and turn the results over to the customers.
Personally I believe those results much more than I do contrived
benchmarks. Of course the result is typically only something the
owners of the program fully understand ... or have any right to see
(it is, after all, their code ..  not ours :>).

Overall the SS-1 is slower than a DECstation 3100 which is slower than
a SS 330. Mileage varies from code to code; and often from dataset to
dataset. It should also be noted that the compilers are under constant
improvement.... so the performance changes from time to time ....
(this is true for all other vendors also)

I hope to have a white paper of sorts in a month or so; with some case
studies.

>  My preference is to have a third party do the numbers (no fudging allowed!).

Typically no understanding of the machine either. In former
incarnations I was on the user side. It was (and still is) that most
third parties don't know how to run the machine right. So as a
customer I got each vendor to run my code, and explain what they did.
The more complex the machine (say a vector machine, or a VLIW or
hypercube) the more imperative it was (is) to get a very savvy (yet
honest) benchmarker to do the actual work. On the Cydra 5, for
example, knowing how to run the compiler and employ compiler
directives could increase performance fourfold ....

It has been my experience that _most_ vendors tell the truth in these
tests; though they may shade it a bit :>

>Look for an upcoming issue of MIPS magazine for a relatively unbiased set of
>numbers on our AViiON ($7995) workstation.

The folks at MIPS mag seem very well intentioned; and I wish them the
best of luck. But the two issues I've studied do not reflect very much
depth. The AIM benchmark they rely on does not, IMHO, do a very good
job of characterising a system. (* it does seem kinda odd that they
chose the name of the mag w/o realizing that it was in use by one of
the companies they would be covering .... :> *)
Keith H. Bierman      |*My thoughts are my own. Only my work belongs to Sun*
It's Not My Fault     |	Marketing Technical Specialist    ! kbierman@sun.com
I Voted for Bill &    |   Languages and Performance Tools.
Opus  (* strange as it may seem, I do more engineering now     *)

mpogue@dg.dg.com (Mike Pogue) (05/16/89)

In article <104996@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> khb@sun.UUCP (Keith Bierman - SPD Languages Marketing -- MTS) writes:

>>  My preference is to have a third party do the numbers (no fudging allowed!).
>
>Typically no understanding of the machine either. In former
>incarnations I was on the user side. It was (and still is) that most
>third parties don't know how to run the machine right. So as a
>customer I got each vendor to run my code, and explain what they did.
>directives could increase performance fourfold ....

  Yes, I agree that it is important to get somebody knowledgable to run
the benchmarks.  Just any third party will not do (sorry I didn't make this
clearer).

>It has been my experience that _most_ vendors tell the truth in these
>tests; though they may shade it a bit :>

  Actually, some vendors shade the data quite a bit.  e.g. Intel quotes
simulated, unrolled BLAS, no-wait-state memory, and bug-free chips in
their i860 benchmarks.  Also, Sun made quite a mistake in claiming that their
new Sparcstation 1GX could create 3D polygons twice as fast as Silicon
Graphics Personal Iris (Sun's new machine doesn't even handle 3D polygons).
(NOTE:  To be fair, Sun has claimed that their error was an honest mistake, although
it seems to me to be amazingly to their benefit to make such a mistake.)

  And this is exactly my point.  Vendors who do stuff like this cast doubt on
ALL the vendor numbers, making a third party solution important (and, as you
mention, the ultimate benchmark is the CUSTOMER's application).

> [They] chose the name of the mag w/o realizing that it was in use by one of
>the companies they would be covering .... :> *)

  Actually, as I understand it, MIPS magazine had the name before MIPS (the
company) was created.  :)

Mike Pogue
Data General Co.
Westboro, MA.

My opinions are my own....

khb%chiba@Sun.COM (chiba) (05/17/89)

In article <173@dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!mpogue (Mike Pogue) writes:
>In article <104996@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> khb@sun.UUCP (Keith Bierman - SPD Languages Marketing -- MTS) writes:
>>>
>>>  My preference is to have a third party do the numbers (no fudging allowed!).
>>
>>Typically no understanding of the machine either. In former...
>
>  Yes, I agree that it is important to get somebody knowledgable to run
>the benchmarks.  Just any third party will not do (sorry I didn't make this
>clearer).

My point is that very few third parties can do justice to a relatively
new machine ... and even for an older machine it should be someone who
lives and breathes performance studies ....

>>It has been my experience that _most_ vendors tell the truth in these
>>tests; though they may shade it a bit :>
>
>  Actually, some vendors shade the data quite a bit.  e.g. Intel quotes
>simulated, unrolled BLAS, no-wait-state memory, and bug-free chips in

I meant this comment about honest to be restricted to customer level
benchmarks... "standard benchmarks" have become a different ball game
entirely. But if I had a circuit simulation (or given my background a
kalman filter code) to someone (with input and sample output to verify
correctness) I find that I am generally given a truthful time back.
There are exceptions....

>their i860 benchmarks.  Also, Sun made quite a mistake in claiming that their
>new Sparcstation 1GX could create 3D polygons twice as fast as Silicon

For the NPI there was a huge amount of handouts. For "internal" (oem,
field force, etc) use alone there was an inch binder full ... the
details of the GX board show up in multiple places... and the "SGI
typo" occurs in one place... of course the press only reads the
summaries and cannot be expected to notice that the document was
INTERNALLY inconsistent ...

>Graphics Personal Iris (Sun's new machine doesn't even handle 3D polygons).
>(NOTE:  To be fair, Sun has claimed that their error was an honest mistake, although
>it seems to me to be amazingly to their benefit to make such a mistake.)
Thanks for giving us the benefit of the doubt.

>  Actually, as I understand it, MIPS magazine had the name before MIPS (the
>company) was created.  :)

Nope. MIPSco is several years old. This is the mag.'s first year of
operation. I expect that MIPSco will win their case in court (unless
Lemmons finally backs down).

But note that I am not a lawyer, I only play one on the net :>

Cheers

les@unicads.UUCP (Les Milash) (05/17/89)

In some article someone wrote:
>>  Actually, as I understand it, MIPS magazine had the name before MIPS (the
>>company) was created.  :)

i can't believe it's easier to get 2 generations of killer processors
fab'd & designed into products than it is to get volume 1 number 1 of
some mag off the presses.

(but then again i can't believe that the american public went for bush/quayle.)

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (05/17/89)

In article <173@dg.dg.com> uunet!dg!mpogue (Mike Pogue) writes:
>> [They] chose the name of the mag w/o realizing that it was in use by one of
>>the companies they would be covering .... :> *)
>
>  Actually, as I understand it, MIPS magazine had the name before MIPS (the
>company) was created.  :)

No.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

jwest@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Jeremy West) (05/18/89)

I'm sorry that it has taken so long to respond to John's mega message,
(I don't get to read news often enough) but I wanted to make a few points.

A large number of comp.arch readers are interested in embedded
realtime and a large number of SPARC designs are  in this category.
For them an integer unit is all you need. I take the points about
availability of full chipsets at hign clock rates.

John's questions about clones exceeding Sun in SPARC production rates
were interesting, how long did it take for IBM to drop below 50%
of the PC market? What happened to the (uncloned) DEC Rainbow in the meantime?
(The above is not architecture but it is short - don's asbestos Y-fronts.. :-)

On architecture, my OPINION is that there are a lot of good design tems
around and that anyone who wants to build their own processor can
have a lot of implementation freedom while still being SPARC binary
compatible and getting the software base without having to
start from scratch.

On cost issues, John says:
> Both SPARC and MIPS
	need the same speed vanilla SRAMs at the same clock rate, I think,

I disagree and so do Cypress (who sell SRAMs to MIPS?) MIPS need much
faster SRAMS because of their two phase memory bus at a given clock
rate. We could try to compare the 25MHz 4/330 CPU to a
MIPS based CPU board to settle this.

Adrian Cockcroft	disclaimer: these are personal opinions
Sun Cambridge UK TSE
sun!sunuk!acockcroft

(Borrowing Jerry West's account at Mountain View to get at USENET)

doug@ross.UUCP (doug carmean) (05/22/89)

I am going to risk the wrath of Mr. Case so that I might reply to Mr.
Mashey's "marketing counter-measures" (<19088@winchester.mips.COM>)
which was posted around May 9th.  All of the included comments are Mr.
Mashey's.

In reference to the number of software applications running on SPARC:
 >Counting applications is even harder than counting mips-numbers.
 >...but counting total numbers is very akin to counting average-mips numbers.
 >I'm tracking down some current data on this and will post something next week
Yes, counting applications is a somewhat esoteric process, usually
warped to benefit the person that is doing the counting.  Please
remember that when someone quotes the number of applications running
on MIPS processors, those applications may or may not be portable
across MIPS based workstations.  This is largely due to a major
difference in byte sex between several major vendors.

It would appear that the MIPS/DEC alliance has caused a real dilemma
for companies designing MIPS based workstations.  Do you try and be
compatible with the closed system philosophy of DEC?  Do you try and
be compatible with the MIPS M/series workstations?  Or, do you try and
establish your own standard?

In reference to the open license philosophy of SPARC:
 >I observe that there are relatively few world-class, leading-edge, proven,
 >high-performance VLSI microprocessor design teams around, who can do good
 >architecture AND implementation.
I have to agree with this observation and point out that Sun has given
several leading-edge, proven VLSI design houses a big break by giving
them a good architecture to start with and improve upon.  Sun's
philosophy is to let these world-class companies compete with their
various offerings of SPARC processors.  I keep forgetting how bad
competition is for the electronics industry.  Without this terrible
competition we would still be paying >$10,000 for personal computers.

On Cypress:
 >33MHz parts were supposed to be sampling almost a year ago, and
 >certainly were supposed to be in production 3Q/4Q 88.
The Cypress CY7C601 WAS sampled almost a year ago and WAS in
production by Q3 of 88.  Yes, the full chipset is not yet available,
but Cypress does currently offer an IU, FPU and FPC.  The MMU, cache
control, cache-tag (CY7C604) and the cache RAMs (CY7C157) will be
available VERY SHORTLY!  Much to my disappointment, Sun did not
announce a 33Mhz 601 based system with the 25Mhz system.  I can say
with certainty that other companies are not as far behind Sun as Mr.
Mashey would lead you to believe.  Look for SEVERAL 33Mhz 601 based
system to be announced late summer/early fall.

On high frequency systems:
 >FACT: R3000s first sampled about a year ago; at least 2 companies
 >(MIPS & SGI) have shipped 25MHz systems, as early as 4Q88.
It would be interesting to compare the total number of 25Mhz R3000
systems shipped to the total number of 25Mhz SPARC based system in Q4
of 89.  Would you rather be supplying parts to MIPS & SGI or just Sun?
I'd take the latter.

On multiprocessing (CY7C605):
 >(FACT)  Note that it is not shipping yet.  Note that it seems different
 >from the Reference MMU specified a while back, which is also different
 >from the ones Sun uses in most SPARC-based products.
Mr. Mashey should get a new copy of the reference MMU spec from Sun
and compare the new spec to the 604/605 descriptions.  Like many other
preliminary specs., the reference MMU underwent several revisions
before it finally became a full fledged spec.  Both the 604
(uniprocessing) and the 605 (multiprocessing) conform fully to the
SPARC reference MMU specification.  The reference MMU is different
than the MMU that Sun has been using in most of it's SPARC based
products.  I don't quite see the problem with this.  A well written
operating system only requires a change to a single driver to port it
to a new MMU.  This does not render applications unexecutable on
systems with different MMUs.

Mr. Mashey continues:
 >Presumably there will time for Cypress to make some money on these
 >things before the Sun/TI BiCMOS thing obsoletes them....
If Mr. Mashey knows about the Sun/TI thing, Cypress must know about
the Sun/TI thing.  I guarantee that Cypress/ROSS would not be putting
forth the effort to design the 604 and 605 if there was not a proper
time and place for them in the market place.

I think that Mr. Mashey failed to realize the power of multiprocessor
systems that utilize the 601 IU and the 604/605 CMU chips.  Arix Corp. has
announced multiprocessor systems for Q1 of 90 that are based on the
601/604 set. It is clear that all of Mr. Mashey's benchmarks and
extrapolations on future performance are based on uniprocessor
systems.  How will the 25Mhz R3000 stack up against a 4 processor
40Mhz 601 system?

Mr. Mashey pointed out that it is difficult to design systems that run
at 40Mhz, and his point is well taken.  Consider that the 25Mhz R3000
requires two bus transactions per clock cycle, effectively running the
bus at 50Mhz.  Even if MIPS could design a 40Mhz Rx000, could you
design a system that allows bus operations at 80Mhz?

One of the lures to the MIPS camp has been their very high performance
compilers that they have touted as the best in the industry.  I think
that Sun's new compilers will seriously challenge the MIPS compilers
as the best in the industry.  We should see some hard data on this soon.

Finally, Mr. Mashey brings up the question of other vendors producing
more SPARC based systems than Sun.  Is this important?  I think the
important assertion is that other vendors will be able to thrive
supplying the world with SPARC based systems.  Out of the companies
that are currently working on Sun clones, several may emerge to
dominate the low priced workstation market.  If the industry can
support Sun and several major clone manufacturers, it would appear
that at that point SPARC had become the industry standard for
workstations.

--
-doug carmean                           ross!doug@cs.utexas.edu
-ROSS Technology, 7748 Hwy 290 West Suite 400, Austin, TX 78736

steves@ross.UUCP (steve studulski) (05/22/89)

In article <19088@winchester.mips.COM> John Mashey writes:

>1) (OPINION): N overlapping chip designs for the same architecture
>are not necessarily better than one really good design, for the same reason
>that having N software teams doing the same job may (or may NOT) be as
>effective as having one really-experienced team doing a project.
>I observe that there are relatively few world-class, leading-edge, proven,
>high-performance VLSI microprocessor design teams around, who can do good
>architecture AND implementation.  Anybody who is trying to play in this
>game, with their own design, but without such a team is probably wasting
>their time.

And in article <19182@winchester.mips.COM> John gives the following excuse
for this article (the article he is replying to is <18154@cup.portal.com>
by Brian Case):

>>If John Mashey can post 300+ lines of marketing counter-measures, then I can
>>post a few lines about my OPINIONS too.
>
>>I think these discussions are very interesting, after all, I did read all
>>of John's posting, but they are nearly completely inappropriate for comp.arch,
>>IN MY OPINION.  Even the note that precipitated John's note was dicey.
>
>Well Brian is probably right on this [and I wouldn't have been as long,
>except I'd just been reading a Cypress brochure that claimed SPARC
>had "thousands of times more lines of code than all other RISCs put
>together." among other things that stirred me up.]

I'm afraid I'm going to have to use the same excuse as John for writing
this article.  After reading the first article above, I was also stirred
up.  John implies that MIPS has cornered the market on "world-class,
leading-edge, proven, high-performance VLSI microprocessor design teams
around, who can do good architecture AND implementation."  I have to take
serious exception to this statement.

First off, is MIPS a semiconductor company or systems company?  How can
MIPS possibly suggest that they are "the" major force in silicon design
and implementation if they are a systems house, and NOT a semiconductor
house?  What sort of economic forces are going to force them to keep
their processor architecture and implementation state-of-the-art without
direct competition?  And by competition I don't mean companies who second
source your implementation, for they will not compete on architecture
or implementation, they will only compete on processing technology.
With SPARC, there are several (ie Texas Instruments, Fujitsu, LSI Logic,
Cypress Semiconductor (aka Ross Technology)) semiconductor houses working
on advancing processing technology, architecture, and implementation.
All of these companies have extreme economic incentives for working
diligently on advancing their products.  Yet, even with all of these
different implementations of the SPARC architecture, you can take any
binary database and binary code and execute it on any system and it will
produce the same results.  This can NOT be said of systems which use the
MIPS processor.  Because of the byte-sex difference between MIPSco
systems and DEC systems, it is NOT possible to take the same binary
database and code and get the same results on both systems even though
they both use the same MIPS processor!

As far as personnel goes, how can John possibly imply that MIPS has
cornered the market on experienced and proven microprocessor design
teams.  At Ross, we have no lack of experience in semiconductor
architecture or design.  All of our personnel are members of the elite
club you described (ie world-class, leading-edge, ...).  Ross Technology
founders include the program manager/chief architect and the circuit
design manager of Motorola's 88000 RISC processor.  Our design team
has personnel with the following credentials:
-  Designers of the only commercially available 40Mhz RISC processor
   (Cypress Semiconductor's CY7C601).
-  Designers of the 68000 processor family (including the 68030 and 68040).
-  Designers of the 88000 processor family (besides the founders).
-  Designers of the 29000 processor.
-  Designers of a 100Mhz, 200 Mflop VHSIC CMOS processor with over
   2,000,000 transistors (sorry, not a commercial part).
-  Designers of the Zilog Z8 microcontroller family.
Our design methodology includes state-of-the-art silicon compilation
technology, and our process is state-of-the-art 0.8u CMOS.
We have personnel who were offered positions with Intel's i860 group,
and with the Sun/TI processor group you alluded to, but who chose Ross
over these groups because of our state-of-the-art design methodologies
and design expertise.  (Do either of these groups or MIPS have anyone
who chose them over Ross Technology?  I think not.)

Although I know very few members of the Sun/TI design team previously
referred to, I know they have people with exceptional qualifications
also, such as:
-  Program manager of the 80386 program.
-  Designers of the 80386.
-  Designers of the HP Precision Architecture.
Unfortunately, I don't know people at LSI Logic or Fujitsu or even
the vast majority at Sun working on SPARC and so can not comment on
their accomplishments and qualifications, but maybe others reading
this can.

I apologize for taking up comp.arch space with this article, but I
am a member of Ross's design team, and I take it personally when
people imply that me and my company lack the expertise needed to
design high-performance microprocessors.  I hope I have set the
record straight on the quality of personnel implementing the SPARC
architecture at Ross Technology and elsewhere in the industry.

-steve studulski                      ross!steves@cs.utexas.edu
-ROSS Technology, 7748 Hwy 290 West Suite 400, Austin, TX 78736
   <As usual, I speak only for me, and not for my company>
--

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (05/24/89)

doug carmean (doug@ross.UUCP) writes:

	"I keep forgetting how bad competition is for the electronics
	industry.  Without this terrible competition we would still be
	paying >$10,000 for personal computers."

I had to read this twice before I understood the real contents.
Let's please leave the sarcasm out of our postings? .. it doesn't add
anything to a technical discussion.

	"The reference MMU is different from the MMU that Sun has been
	using in most of its SPARC based products.  I don't quite see
	the problem with this.  A well written operating system only
	requires a change to a single driver to port it to a new MMU."

An MMU is not a "device," to be "driven" easily by a single module.
Big MMU differences cause ripples throughout the kernel, and in extreme
cases can affect user code.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!orca!frip!andrew)      [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]

nawaf@apollo.COM (Nawaf Bitar) (05/25/89)

In article <3390@orca.WV.TEK.COM> andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) writes:

>	"The reference MMU is different from the MMU that Sun has been
>	using in most of its SPARC based products.  I don't quite see
>	the problem with this.  A well written operating system only
>	requires a change to a single driver to port it to a new MMU."
>
>An MMU is not a "device," to be "driven" easily by a single module.
>Big MMU differences cause ripples throughout the kernel, and in extreme
>cases can affect user code.

In actual fact it does not hurt to think of an MMU as a device that is being
driven by a single module.  The Mach operating system does precisely that,
and experience has show that porting to differing MMU architectures has only
required changes to the single MMU driver (pmap module).  In order to accomplish
this successfully the virtual memory system has to be carefully structured
such that no assumptions about a specific underlying MMU architecture are made.
This is certainly not the case in BSD, VMS, SunOs 3.* and, no doubt, others.

--
Nawaf Bitar                                                nawaf@apollo.com
Apollo Computer, Inc.

>An MMU is not a "device," to be "driven" easily by a single module.
>Big MMU differences cause ripples throughout the kernel, and in extreme
>cases can affect user code.

Whilst I would not argue that support for a new MMU trivially plugs into
the SunOS 4.0/S5R4 VM system, with the SunOS 4.0 VM architecture the
ripples don't go as far as they do in some other systems; support for
the "standard" Sun MMU, the 68030 on-chip MMU, the 80386 on-chip MMU,
and now the Campus-1 err sorry SPARCStation-1 MMU (4KB pages, rather
than 8KB pages, as in the standard Sun-3/Sun-4 MMU) fit in fairly
cleanly.

I think Mach is also supposed to be set up to cleanly support a variety
of MMUs as well.  I think it's been ported to machines with
"conventional" N-level page table MMUs, Sun-style static-RAM MMUs, and
"inverted page table" MMUs (is not the IBM RT PC's MMU of this type?).
The SunOS 4.0 one hasn't been ported to the latter, yet, as far as I
know; I don't know how difficult it would be.

I assume one of the goals of IBM's VM modifications in recent or
forthcoming AIXes is similar (since they have to support the RT PC,
80386, and 370 - and, presumably, since OSF plans to pick up the AIX
kernel, right? they also will have to support the VAX and MIPS MMUs, and
Apollo's MMU(s?), and HP's, and...).

So, whilst I'll agree that it's not necessarily the case that "A well
written operating system only requires a change to a single driver to
port it to a new MMU.", a well-designed VM system can handle a fairly
wide range of MMUs with pretty localized changes to VM code.

mcg@mipon2.intel.com (05/30/89)

In article <674@pitstop.West.Sun.COM> jwest@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Jeremy West) writes:

>A large number of comp.arch readers are interested in embedded
>realtime and a large number of SPARC designs are  in this category.
>For them an integer unit is all you need. I take the points about
>availability of full chipsets at hign clock rates.

In this late response I wish to avoid the protracted debate (name-calling?)
currently happening between SPARC and MIPS advocates.  Let me say simply
that, as a contended in the embedded processor market (with the Intel 960),
I do not believe that many people are taking SPARC seriously as an embedded
controller.  The chips require too much board space and support logic, they
require a cache (almost always out of the question for embedded designs),
have unpleasant code expansion characteristics, are too expensive, and have
too little development support (e.g. no In-Circuit Emulators) for most
embedded applications.

Having said that, the same is pretty much true for MIPS.  This is not
a reflection on the quality of their architectures for the workstation
world.  It is a statement about their (current) *implementations* in the
embedded world.

I suspect that Sun is beginning to attempt to position SPARC in
realtime and embedded markets: a) as a fallback position in case they
don't succeed as thoroughly as they hope in the workstation market; and
b) because the volume of design wins and chip sales in 32-bit embedded
control is (conservatively) 10x the workstation market.

This is the same strategy that drove AMD to move the 29k out of
workstation land, as well as Weitek and the XL8xxx, and (of late)
National and the 32k series.

S. McGeady
Intel Corp.

tim@crackle.amd.com (Tim Olson) (05/30/89)

In article <m0fRxlf-0001fDC@mipon2.intel.com> mcg@mipon2.UUCP (Steven McGeady) writes:
| I suspect that Sun is beginning to attempt to position SPARC in
| realtime and embedded markets: a) as a fallback position in case they
| don't succeed as thoroughly as they hope in the workstation market; and
| b) because the volume of design wins and chip sales in 32-bit embedded
| control is (conservatively) 10x the workstation market.
|
| This is the same strategy that drove AMD to move the 29k out of
| workstation land, as well as Weitek and the XL8xxx, and (of late)
| National and the 32k series.

While this may be true for SPARC and the 32k series, the Am29000 was
PDP'ed (Product Design Plan) as an embedded controller (because of the
volumes) -- it certainly isn't a "fallback position".  That is not to
say that we wouldn't *allow* our chips to be used in workstations ;-)

	-- Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices
	(tim@amd.com)

jwest@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Jeremy West) (05/31/89)

In article <m0fRxlf-0001fDC@mipon2.intel.com>, mcg@mipon2.intel.com writes:
> In article <674@pitstop.West.Sun.COM> jwest@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Adrian Cockcroft) writes:
> >
> >A large number of comp.arch readers are interested in embedded
> >realtime and a large number of SPARC designs are  in this category.
> >For them an integer unit is all you need.
>
> In this late response I wish to avoid the protracted debate (name-calling?)
> currently happening between SPARC and MIPS advocates.  Let me say simply
> that, as a contended in the embedded processor market (with the Intel 960),
> I do not believe that many people are taking SPARC seriously as an embedded
> controller.  The chips require too much board space and support logic, they
> require a cache (almost always out of the question for embedded designs),

You do not need a cache if you make your RAM out of SRAMS, you also
avoid having to worry about refresh on DRAM's.  Note that the 4/110 uses
static column or fast page mode DRAM's without a cache also. If you want
deterministic response times then caches are also a pain. Cypress publish
an evaluation board circuit that uses SRAMs only.

> have unpleasant code expansion characteristics, are too expensive, and have
> too little development support (e.g. no In-Circuit Emulators) for most
> embedded applications.

There is a class of realtime applications where you need the fastest thing
you can get for a reasonable price. SPARC has a place here.  One of the
reasons that SPARC is being used is *precisely* that it has a lot of
development support in the shape of the Sun4/SPARCstation machines and
the development tools that run on them. e.g. dbxtool. In-Circuit
Emulators for SPARC are coming. It also has Wind River Systems real-time
OS running now and VRTX being ported.

> I suspect that Sun is beginning to attempt to position SPARC in
> realtime and embedded markets: a) as a fallback position in case they
> don't succeed as thoroughly as they hope in the workstation market; and
> b) because the volume of design wins and chip sales in 32-bit embedded
> control is (conservatively) 10x the workstation market.

This is the wrong way round, Sun was surprised by the  level of interest
from realtime embedded systems people and has belatedly made some attempts
to service an apparent demand. e.g. making SPARCsim generally available.
Most of the push has come from the semiconductor vendors rather than Sun
since they have most to gain from selling chips. One thing that has happened
is that Sun has trained a group of pre-sales technical support engineers
to be SPARC specialists, one for each sales region around the world and
we (I am one) can spend some of our time helping people who want to
build SPARC systems. Since the engineering people at mountainview are
too busy designing to post to comp.arch I'm trying to keep the record
straight myself. It is worthwile in that I can try out the things we have been
told and get corrections on MIPS from John Mashey etc.

BTW do people know about SPARCsim, the SPARC architectural simulator?
It lets you simulate a IU/FPU/MMU/IO/Cache/Memory system and run
unmodified SPARC binaries on it to see how it performs or to debug
device drivers or kernels. The sun4 kernel was up and running  on
SPARCsim on a Sun3 before any Sun4 hardware existed.
All the local SPARC specialists have a copy for demo's.

I don't know of any design wins that I can name but one that I know of
is doing a high speed signal processing system and has taken advantage
of LSI logic's capability to use a SPARC IU as one corner of an ASIC
with all the other stuff they want round the edge. The SPARC IU takes
about 12000 gates out of a 50000 gate ASIC. This is a neat way to
customise the interfaces to remove glue logic.

> S. McGeady
> Intel Corp.

Adrian Cockcroft