[comp.arch] a silly VME bus question

eprice@sagpd1.UUCP (Eric Price) (05/27/89)

	Dear Netlanders

    Being a software engineer (even though my degree reads BSEE) I would
    like to know what the VME in VME bus stands for. I say it stands for
    Virtual Memory Extended, one of my co workers says it stands for something
    else the E being for Europe. Please no flames.

							Much Obliged,
							eric
#define		stupidity	"it's like hydrogen"
				/* the most abundant element in the universe */

low@melair.UUCP (Rick Low) (05/29/89)

In article <428@sagpd1.UUCP>, eprice@sagpd1.UUCP (Eric Price) writes:
>     Being a software engineer (even though my degree reads BSEE) I would
>     like to know what the VME in VME bus stands for.

Versa Module Europa

I recall Wayne Fischer mentioning this at a seminar, but maybe I misheard.
(This is like the "throw the hand grenade into the room and see who
screams" reconnaissance technique. :-) )

--
Rick Low
MEL Defence Systems Limited, Ottawa, Canada

mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts @ APD x1302) (05/31/89)

From article <428@sagpd1.UUCP>, by eprice@sagpd1.UUCP (Eric Price):
>     Being a software engineer (even though my degree reads BSEE) I would
>     like to know what the VME in VME bus stands for. I say it stands for
>     Virtual Memory Extended, one of my co workers says it stands for something
>     else the E being for Europe. Please no flames.

Motorola had a bus called Versabus, which was a predecessor to VME, and
quite similar electrically, if memory serves me right.  VME applied
the Versabus' successor on little Eurocard modules, thus Versabus
Module Eurocard.  (Why not VEM, you ask?)

--
Michael Butts, Research Engineer       KC7IT           503-626-1302
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton, OR 97005

lexw@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Lex Wassenberg) (06/01/89)

In article <1989May30.175753.1264@mntgfx.mentor.com> mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts @ APD x1302) writes:
>From article <428@sagpd1.UUCP>, by eprice@sagpd1.UUCP (Eric Price):
>> Being a software engineer (even though my degree reads BSEE) I would
>> like to know what the VME in VME bus stands for. I say it stands for
>> Virtual Memory Extended, one of my co workers says it stands for something
>> else the E being for Europe. Please no flames.
>
>Motorola had a bus called Versabus, which was a predecessor to VME, and
>quite similar electrically, if memory serves me right.  VME applied
>the Versabus' successor on little Eurocard modules, thus Versabus
>Module Eurocard.  (Why not VEM, you ask?)

Nope. You're close, but not right. Indeed, Motorola developed in the late
1970's a bus called VERSAbus. The European Microsystems group of Motorola
in Munich, West Germany, proposed the development of a VERSAbus-like product
line based on the Mechanical standard of the Eurocard. The new bus was
called VERSAbus-E, and later renamed to VMEbus. Actually, VME stands for
VERSA Modular Europe bus.

      ________________
     /  /  ___  _____/      Lex Wassenberg, Philips TDS
    /  /  /__ \/ ___/       Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
   /  /  ___/   /__         lexw@idca.tds.philips.nl
  /  /  /____/\___/
 /  /____________/ It's said that only 10 people on the whole world understood
/_______________/  Einstein. I'm so brilliant that nobody understands me at all.

Disclaimer: Since nobody understands me, I speak only for myself.

rnv@motsj1.UUCP (Ron Voss) (06/02/89)

(Mike Butts @ APD x1302) writes:
> From article <428@sagpd1.UUCP>, by eprice@sagpd1.UUCP (Eric Price):
> > Being a software engineer (even though my degree reads BSEE) I would
> > like to know what the VME in VME bus stands for. I say it stands for
> > Virtual Memory Extended, one of my co workers says it stands for something
> > else the E being for Europe. Please no flames.
>
> Motorola had a bus called Versabus, which was a predecessor to VME, and
> quite similar electrically, if memory serves me right.  VME applied
> the Versabus' successor on little Eurocard modules, thus Versabus
> Module Eurocard.  (Why not VEM, you ask?)

IMPORTANT:  THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION ONLY!

My understanding of Motorola's position on this matter is that
VME is NOT an acronym.  I don't think you'll ever find it
published anywhere that VME stands for anything.  I think that in
the beginning of VME, if Mot had tried to push any particular
meaning, no one else would have signed up to the standard.
You can say that someone had some particular meaning in mind.
You can say that. :-)  (S.R., H.G., are you listening?)

--
Ron Voss, Systems Engineer
Motorola Inc, Microcomputer Division

davidb@titan.inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) (06/05/89)

What does the VME in VMEbus stand for ?

I believe it goes back to the VERSAbus (moto).
Somebody at Motorola (I think in Geneva) re-jigged
the VERSAbus to use DIN41612 connectors and IEC297
card-sizes. The result was known as "VersaModule European",
hence "VME". After a while this bus was fully specified as
the first real VMEbus specification.

None of the original VMEbus vendors liked letting on
what the VME stood for, so nowadays hardly anyone knows.

If you want a laugh try going round BUSCON and asking
every VMEbus vendor what VMEbus stands for ! I bet not
one could tell you.

[ I could be talking rubbish, BTW, by I think I got
  this explanation from Steve Darnauer of Mizar and
  he should know ]
David Boreham, INMOS Limited | mail(uk): davidb@inmos.co.uk or ukc!inmos!davidb
Bristol,  England            |      (us): uunet!inmos-c!davidb
+44 454 616616 ex 543        | Internet : @col.hp.com:davidb@inmos-c

dlt@wingman.UUCP (Don Turrell) (06/07/89)

In article <1542@brwa.inmos.co.uk> davidb@inmos.co.uk (David Boreham) writes:
>What does the VME in VMEbus stand for ?
>
>If you want a laugh try going round BUSCON and asking
>every VMEbus vendor what VMEbus stands for ! I bet not
>one could tell you.

Hey! We take exception to that remark ( :-) )

We (Performance Technologies) have been a BUSCON participant since day one.
We can tell you that VME stands for Versa Module European. We are also a
manufacturer of VMEbus boards as well as various SCSI modules (Small System
Computer Interface)... (yet another acronym!)

Don Turrell
Performance Technologies, Inc.  East Rochester  New York  USA
(716) 586-6727
dlt@wingman.com