[comp.arch] choosing Intel

In article <310001@hplvli.HP.COM> boyne@hplvli.HP.COM (Art Boyne) writes:
>Hmmm..., I seem to remember (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that
>IBM bought a 60% (?) stake in Intel in the late 1970's, to guarantee a RAM
>supply after the RAM shortage in about the 1975-6 timeframe.  I wonder if
>practically owning the company had any influence on IBM's decision to
>use Intel.  :-)

As I understand it, absolutely none, because -- as I stated -- the decision
was not made by IBM.  IBM took over a nearly-complete design done by a much
smaller outfit.
--
You *can* understand sendmail, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but it's not worth it. -Collyer| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu