[comp.arch] Apollo DN10000 *not* R.I.P.

mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) (06/09/89)

In article <5125@pt.cs.cmu.edu> lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:

>HP has announced that the Apollo 10,000 will be phased out.
>
>Since new machines are being invented at an amazing rate, I suppose
>it's inevitable that some vanish. It's just a real shame when camels
>live and stallions die.

The DN10000's obituary is premature.

HP has announced that it will continue to offer and support the Apollo DN10000
for the indefinite future.

The _Electronic News_ article some may have seen said that in briefings HP said
the DN10000 would be phased out *in a few years*, probably during 1991.  It
also said a "significantly upgraded version" is promised, possibly next year.
Vendors don't come out with new versions of dead architectures.  Indeed, it
said that some of the Apollo technology, particularly its multiprocessing
capabilities, would be combined with HPPA technology to form the new generation
product.  I think we might see some 'hybrid vigor' in that.

A few years is a long time for workstation technology.
--
Michael Butts, Research Engineer       KC7IT           503-626-1302
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton, OR 97005