[comp.arch] front ends to crays...

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) (06/03/89)

What would make a good front end for a YMP, and why? We really want to
make a good choice, and like most organizations, this will be our
first and only Cray... we don't have any first hand experience on
what make a really good front end.

Thanks for your help.

-Mike Marshall      hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu

malcolm@Apple.COM (Malcolm Slaney) (06/03/89)

In article <5674@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) writes:
>What would make a good front end for a YMP, and why? We really want to
>make a good choice, and like most organizations, this will be our
>first and only Cray... we don't have any first hand experience on
>what make a really good front end.

Why do you need a front end machine?  (This is comp.arch, after all.)
I think it is time to put the concept of a front end machine to bed.

The only thing that stands between my fingers and our Cray is the generic
Macintosh on my desk (and an Ethernet tied into a Hyperchannel.)  Now that
Cray supports NFS and the X Window System there is no reason that a Cray
can't be just another Unix box (although quite a bit faster for numerical
stuff.)

Of course, not all jobs are economical on a Cray.  I don't really have
any need to read news on the Cray when there are lots of cheaper Unix
boxes lying around.  On the other hand, if I find a bug on the Cray I
want to use the Cray mailer to report it.  Remember, the users come
first.

								Malcolm

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (06/03/89)

I have been told that one can do it with an Amiga with a '020 or '030
board (like the Amiga 2500).  Oh course (disclaim! disclaim!) I
haven't actually seen it, and I don't remember who told me this.
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (06/07/89)

In article <5674@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) writes:
}What would make a good front end for a YMP, and why? We really want to
}make a good choice, and like most organizations, this will be our
}first and only Cray... we don't have any first hand experience on
}what make a really good front end.

About 2 years ago I happened to meet the computing resources manager for
the Cray being used by Lockheed's Black Hole project.  She told me they
were using an IBM 3090 for the front end.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

mccalpin@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (John McCalpin) (06/09/89)

In article <> malcolm@Apple.COM (Malcolm Slaney) replies:
>Why do you need a front end machine?  (This is comp.arch, after all.)
>I think it is time to put the concept of a front end machine to bed.

Some reasons for a front-end machine:

(1) Cray MIPS are definitely not cheap, and it is difficult to
    convince users not to run inefficient or inappropriate codes
    on the back end.
(2) Cray disks are definitely not cheap.  A front-end with very
    good I/O performance and lots of slots for cheap 1 GB SMD disks
    can be very useful (provided it supports the Cray 100 MB/s
    high-speed channel).
(3) Cray memory is neither cheap nor abundant.  Any jobs which do
    not need to be on the Cray should not be on the Cray taking up
    memory from applications that need it.
(4) A centralized front-end provides an appropriate spot for things
    like mailers, mailing lists, news, etc.  This is slightly more
    difficult to do in a "workstation & supercomputer only" environment.
--
John D. McCalpin - Dept of Oceanography - Florida State University
mccalpin@masig1.ocean.fsu.edu		mccalpin@nu.cs.fsu.edu

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (06/09/89)

In article <758@loligo.cc.fsu.edu> mccalpin@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (John McCalpin) writes:
>Some reasons for a front-end machine:

>(1) Cray MIPS are definitely not cheap, and it is difficult to
>    convince users not to run inefficient or inappropriate codes
>    on the back end.

This is debatable.  It is not clear that the applications you may be
worried about (editors are a typical worry) use any significant amount
of CPU time, anyway.  And, although Crays aren't the cheapest MIPS around
in the absolute sense, they still may be in the real world, where
interactive program development takes place during the day, and long batch
jobs the other 128 hours of the week.  Many things are cheaper to do on the
supercomputer than anywhere else in practice.  Can you prove it is cheaper
to copy a file to a remote machine to fix a typo than it is to fix it on
the supercomputer?

>(2) Cray disks are definitely not cheap.  A front-end with very
>    good I/O performance and lots of slots for cheap 1 GB SMD disks
>    can be very useful (provided it supports the Cray 100 MB/s
>    high-speed channel).

With this I agree, and, it is a genuine "front end" function.  Like all
front-end solutions, however, most of the mass storage systems in use
at various supercomputer centers have major compromises one way or the
other.

At the moment, I suspect that a closely coupled NFS server may be the best
way to go.  Put your user disks holding source code, etc., on the NFS
server, and access it from both the Cray and user workstations and other
network servers.  But, since such a machine will be saturated by the higher
speed Cray, you won't be able to use it for running user processes - an
NFS server driven by a much faster client has to be segregated and dedicated,
in my experience and according to other anecdotal evidence I have heard.

>(3) Cray memory is neither cheap nor abundant.  Any jobs which do
>    not need to be on the Cray should not be on the Cray taking up
>    memory from applications that need it.

I also agree with this.  Even if the MIPS are cheap (enough), the lack of
virtual memory on Cray systems makes this into an issue, as well as the
relative lack of physical memory (e.g. a mere 64 MBytes on a 4 processor
X-MP is the usual...)  However, some studies I have seen, where people
expected to find a problem here, showed that "little" things like
editing, other small jobs, etc., had a negligible effect on overall
memory utilization, so, in practice, it might not matter much.

>(4) A centralized front-end provides an appropriate spot for things
>    like mailers, mailing lists, news, etc.  This is slightly more
>    difficult to do in a "workstation & supercomputer only" environment.

You are arguing for a centralized data server which really is not a
supercomputer front-end issue at all, but rather a network design issue.
All intimately networked configurations have to solve this, whether there is
a supercomputer or not.

As I see it, the one major "front-end" issue defined above is: how do you
handle storage?  It easy for users to run processes wherever it is cheapest,
as long as the data is there.  Every supercomputer center that I know of has
a problem with respect to sharing data between the supercomputer and other
machines, with the solutions working to various degrees of success and always
seeming to cost more than it seems it should...
  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035
  Phone:  (415)694-6117

cquenel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (-3 more school days) (06/11/89)

In 10111 lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) sez:
>Can you prove it is cheaper
>to copy a file to a remote machine to fix a typo than it is to fix it on
>the supercomputer?

	This could also be an argument for putting the compiler
	for your supercomputer on a "front-end".

	-- Compiling is usually not a typical "gotta have a
	   supercomputer, or it won't EVER finish" type job.
	   (At least I hope not :-) ya never know with new
	   and aggresive optimization strategies!)

	-- Assuming the compiler is written in "C" or some-such,
	   just move it over and compile it.  It should present
	   anywhere real porting problems.  The code generated is
	   the same.

--chris

--
@---@  -----------------------------------------------------------------  @---@
\. ./  | Chris (The Lab Rat) Quenelle      cquenel@polyslo.calpoly.edu |  \. ./

js@hall.cray.com (Jeff Stout) (06/12/89)

In article <4557@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:
>In article <5674@hubcap.clemson.edu> hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) writes:
>}What would make a good front end for a YMP, and why? We really want to
>}make a good choice, and like most organizations, this will be our
>}first and only Cray... we don't have any first hand experience on
>}what make a really good front end.
>
>About 2 years ago I happened to meet the computing resources manager for
>the Cray being used by Lockheed's Black Hole project.  She told me they
>were using an IBM 3090 for the front end.

You can use about anything its just a matter of how much you want to spend.