[comp.arch] What is a ...-computer

winter@doomb.prl.philips.nl (Pieter Winter) (06/05/89)

Hi,
Since I saw the question "What is a mainframe" recently in this newsgroup, I
was wondering the following:

How can you define a:
      - Minicomputer
      - Supermini computer
I'm especially interested in how to distinguish them from each other.

Another question considering the mini-supermini-mainframe range:
   - What is the difference between a mainframe and a (super)-mini computer,
     are they overlapping computer categories, or totally different categories.

Perhaps anyone on the net has a good working definition?

Thanks,		Pieter
- Pieter Winter				winter@doomb.prl.philips.nl           -
- No man in his right mind...(?), left mind...(?), Ehhhh...(!), Nobody minds! -

kleonard@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Ken Leonard) (06/06/89)

In article <512@prles2.UUCP> winter@doomb.prl.philips.nl () writes:
* ...
* How can you define a:
*       - Minicomputer
*       - Supermini computer
* ...
--
Mainframe:  physically/electrically tightly integrated (by assertion even if
   not de facto) with variability defined primarily in terms of "horsepower"
   or number of (attached) functional units and delivered in a form which
   favors economy of computation across many, but usually predictable,
   applications over economy of adaptation to particular applications or
   ease of highly variable applications.
--
Minicomputer:  physically/electrically based on a user-perceptible bus (de
   facto if not by assertion) to permit maximum variability and adaptability
   of the complement of functional units (e.g. CPU, memory, I/O controllers)
   and delivered in a form which favors economy of adaptation to particular
   applications and/or basic capability of highly variable applications over
   economy of computation across many applications.
--
Microcomputer:  more like a minicomputer than a mainframe, delivered to
   permit maximum adaptability per machine to the requirements of one
   particular user's applications.
--
Supercomputer:  designed, in all respects, for maximum technologically
   achievable performance (not quite the same as maximum efficiency) on a
   relatively small range of computational requirements, and delivered in
   a form which strongly favors economy of computation on the design range
   over all other functions including computations outside the design range.
--
Super-Mainframe:  definitely like a mainframe with a (usually additional)
   supercomputer-class computational engine as a "native" functional resource.

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (06/10/89)

In article <512@prles2.UUCP> winter@doomb.prl.philips.nl () writes:
>How can you define a:
>      - Minicomputer
>      - Supermini computer
>I'm especially interested in how to distinguish them from each other.

It seems to me that the only adequate way to distinguish between the
various classes of computers is by weight; to wit:

	* If one person can lift it, it's a microcomputer.
	* If two to four people can lift it, it's a mini.
	* If a forklift is required, it's a mainframe.

A superminicomputer is an anorexic mainframe.

--
Robert J Woodhead, Biar Games, Inc.  !uunet!biar!trebor | trebor@biar.UUCP
``The worst thing about being a vampire is that you can't go to matinees

roelof@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Vuurboom) (06/13/89)

In article <621@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:

>It seems to me that the only adequate way to distinguish between the
>various classes of computers is by weight; to wit:

...or size. After all, etymologically speaking ;-), a mainframe
used to be a main frame and a minicomputer used to be a mini-computer.
--
Roelof Vuurboom  SSP/V3   Philips TDS Apeldoorn, The Netherlands   +31 55 432226
domain: roelof@idca.tds.philips.nl             uucp:  ...!mcvax!philapd!roelof

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (06/13/89)

>In article <621@biar.UUCP> trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) writes:
>>It seems to me that the only adequate way to distinguish between the
>>various classes of computers is by weight; to wit:
>	various MASSive suggestions

This was cute.
Yes, you keep thinking that way about classifying computers.

You can gauge a person's perspective if they regard a VAX as a mainframe
or not.

Yes I/O is the major problem.  So long as the micro-people think about
micro I/O we will be held back from the Cray on a desk.

Bat as a prefix to replace "super"  sure!  BAT==Basically Absurd Technology.
Batcomputer.... wait a minute that's at Cornell....

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  		There must be a way to make these things smallers?