[comp.arch] manuals

In article <5029@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>So the UNIX User's Manual isn't a tutorial... big deal. It's one of the best
>*reference* manuals in the business.

I have long thought that one of Unix's most underrated contributions to
computing was the discovery that many commands could be documented quite
adequately for *reference* purposes in one page.  (Well, I must make one
reservation here:  this might have come from Multics or CTSS, which I've
never seen manuals for.)  As opposed to a 50-page manual, with one page
of information content, for each command.
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu