[comp.arch] Object-oriented chip from BiiN.

brad@polaris.ucsc.edu (07/18/89)

In article <GRUNWALD.89May18103213@flute.cs.uiuc.edu> grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>BiiN, an Intel and Siemanns spinoff is producing a chip, based on the
>80960 I think, that includes fault tolerence features ``from the
>'432''.

Does anyone have an address for getting information on this chip?

Thank you,

Brad Smith
CIS Board, UC Santa Cruz
brad@cis.ucsc.edu

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (07/19/89)

>In article <GRUNWALD.89May18103213@flute.cs.uiuc.edu> grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>BiiN, an Intel and Siemanns spinoff is producing a chip, based on the
>>80960 I think, that includes fault tolerence features ``from the
>>'432''.
>
>Does anyone have an address for getting information on this chip?

The chip used by BiiN is, I believe, the same silicon as Intel's 80960
KA, KB, and MC parts.  The primary difference between the four chips is
how many functions are documented (and tested).  I'm not sure if there are
bonding options or lazer zapping differences.

The military version (80960MC) does support the MMU and some of the other
BiiN features; if you can get the MC documentation from Intel, it will tell
you some of the BiiN chip's details.  The full-function chip, as used by
BiiN, is not available (i.e., supported or documented) to other customers.
You may be able to get some system documentation from BiiN that goes into
detail on the CPU architecture, but you won't be able to buy the chips.

BiiN is at 2111 NE 25th St., Hillsboro, OR 97124-5961; phone 503/696-4565

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report   mslater@cup.portal.com  415/494-2677

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) (07/19/89)

In article <306@darkstar.ucsc.edu> brad@polaris.ucsc.edu () writes:
>Does anyone have an address for getting information on [a BiiN version
>of the 80960] ?

As I understand it, BiiN is in the systems business.  If you want to
purchase a computer system which is fault tolerant, they will sell you
one.  I don't think they do or want to sell chips.  I could be wrong though.

BiiN is located in Hillsboro Oregon if you want to get in touch with them.

Mike
--
Mike Rutenberg                              Portland Oregon
BITNET: mdr@reed.bitnet      UUCP: uunet!tektronix!reed!mdr