[comp.arch] Bubble memories

jac@paul.rutgers.edu (Jonathan A. Chandross) (07/21/89)

thatcher@claris.com (Jon Thatcher)
> Intel ALMOST killed off their bubble memories.  They sold that division
> to a company called MemTech (?), which rehired many ex-Intel engineers
> and scientists.  They're still developing and selling bubble memories.

So they managed to sell the division.  Interesting.  This brings up an
related question: does anyone still use bubbles? (Well, I imagine the
military does since they still use cores and vacuum tubes. :-) )
How about manufacture?  The Japanese (I think) and TI, got out of
the bubble business years ago as well.

When the bubble was in its prime of life, I recall TI selling Silent-700's
equipped with bubbles (128K bytes worth) for use by reporters at sporting
events.  You type the whole thing in as the game happens, then upload it
to your newspaper over a phone line at 300 baud.  (I still have the
bubble units for one of these in my basement, somewhere.)

It would seem that the only market left would be very rough environments
where you can't use a ruggedized hard disk.  And those applications might
be better served by CMOS and battery backup.

So the real question is: can I make zillions of dollars by founding a
bubble memory startup for IBM PCs?

Jonathan A. Chandross
Internet: jac@paul.rutgers.edu
UUCP: rutgers!paul.rutgers.edu!jac