[comp.arch] AT&T 3B20D

yang1@ntvax.UUCP (cqyang class) (06/07/89)

   I understood that the 3B20D also could be used as a general purpose
minicomputer, and there are not many machines I know of (execpt Tandems)
that would allow board replacements while the machine is running. I was
also interested if anyone had made use of the writtable instruction set.

*                           "It is most gratifying that your enthusiasm for   *
*       Jim Stinson          our planet continues unabated and so we would    *
*  University of North Texas like to assure you that the guided missiles      *
*   yang1@dept.csci.unt.edu  currently converging on your ship are part of a  *
*                            special service we extend to all of our most     *
* Warning to the             enthusiastic clients, and the fully armed        *
* 'Heart of Gold' crew,      nuclear warheads are of course merely a courtesy *
* "The Hitchhiker's Guide    detail. We look forward to your custom in future *
* to the Galaxy"             lives. Thank you."                               *

mlewis@unocss.UUCP (Marcus S. Lewis) (06/09/89)

In article <486@ntvax.UUCP>, yang1@ntvax.UUCP (cqyang class) writes:

>    I understood that the 3B20D also could be used as a general purpose
> minicomputer, and there are not many machines I know of (execpt Tandems)
> that would allow board replacements while the machine is running.

This is NOT a commercial - I don't work for Data General, and soon will not
be working with DG equipment. One of the main features of the new
MV/40000HA machine just now shipping is that the FEs can pull a  board
out of the box without too much hassle, and without shutting down the machine.
The HA stands for High Availability.  My boss wants one, I want one - can't
have one.
My understanding (also from a DG FE) was that the difference between a mini
and a mainframe was that on a mainframe you can to diagnostics and swapout
maintenance without shutting down.  What enables the MV/40 to do this is a
new bus (new to the MV series) controller.
Marc Lewis

--
Na khuya mne podpis'?                 |  Internet: cs057@zeus.unl.edu
Go for it!                            |  Bitnet:   CS057@UNOMA1

bga@raspail.cdcnet.cdc.com (Bruce Albrecht) (06/12/89)

In article <822@unocss.UUCP>, mlewis@unocss.UUCP (Marcus S. Lewis) writes:
> My understanding (also from a DG FE) was that the difference between a mini
> and a mainframe was that on a mainframe you can to diagnostics and swapout
> maintenance without shutting down.  What enables the MV/40 to do this is a
> new bus (new to the MV series) controller.

I think your DG FE was putting you on.  There's nothing inherent in a mainframe
that allows it to do online diagnostics, etc., that is peculiar to a mainframe.
If the software and hardware is designed to allow for it, you can logically
turn almost anything off, and pull it.  Of course, outside of a few machines
specifically designed for fault-tolerance, losing a CPU is fatal.

jps@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.p.schoonover) (06/16/89)

In article <486@ntvax.UUCP>, yang1@ntvax.UUCP (cqyang class) writes:

>    I understood that the 3B20D also could be used as a general purpose
> minicomputer, and there are not many machines I know of (execpt Tandems)
> that would allow board replacements while the machine is running. I was
> also interested if anyone had made use of the writtable instruction set.

I don't know that AT&T has tried to sell the 3B20D as a general purpose
mini, but I wouldn't recommend using it that way.  It's too old a machine.

A project using the 3B20D called TSPS did use the ability to write
micro-code for this machine to emulate the 1A processor.

					J. P. Schoonover
					(312) 979-7907
					iwtds!jps

(A 3B20D field support kind of guy)

gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gary L Dare) (06/17/89)

In article <226@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> J. P. Schoonover wrote:

>I don't know that AT&T has tried to sell the 3B20D as a general purpose
>mini, but I wouldn't recommend using it that way.  It's too old a machine.

I don't know if AT&T tried to *market* them as such, but they have been
donating these machines to various universities including Columbia.  We
received three, but they were decommissioned after two years because
their service contracts were *prohibitive* and the System V OS version
was an old, beta - couldn't afford new code, hard to find a system
manager full-time, no NFS so we could use them as communications hubs
(I was very enthusiastic about them, as you can tell).  A shame.

I don't know how many of the recipients have their systems running and
happy.  Is anyone out there part of the 3B20 user group, U3G??

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Gary L. Dare				> gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU

jps@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (j.p.schoonover) (07/22/89)

In article <8906161850.AA19350@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu>, gld@CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Gary L Dare) writes:
> In article <226@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> J. P. Schoonover wrote:
> >
> >I don't know that AT&T has tried to sell the 3B20D as a general purpose
> >mini, but I wouldn't recommend using it that way.  It's too old a machine.
>
> I don't know if AT&T tried to *market* them as such, but they have been
> donating these machines to various universities including Columbia.  We
> received three, but they were decommissioned after two years because
> their service contracts were *prohibitive* and the System V OS version
> was an old, beta - couldn't afford new code, hard to find a system
> manager full-time, no NFS so we could use them as communications hubs
> (I was very enthusiastic about them, as you can tell).  A shame.
>
> I don't know how many of the recipients have their systems running and
> happy.  Is anyone out there part of the 3B20 user group, U3G??
>
>  Gary L. Dare				> gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU

Gary, what you had were 3B20S machines, not 3B20D machines.  The 'S' stands
for Simplex and the 'D' stands for Duplex.  The Simplex was indeed sold
as a general purpose machine.  In fact, we still use them on the project
I work on and SVR3 is available (with RFS) for the Simplex, but the Duplex
is only used in switching systems as a fault tolerant processor.  The name
Duplex comes from the duplication of main memory and the CU.  You cannot run
both CU's at the same time.  The two CU's and memory are duplicated so
that when trouble is detected in one, the machine will automatically
switch to the other.  Also, there is no way to "upgrade" a simplex to a
duplex.

					J. P. Schoonover
					(312) 979-7907
					iwtds!jps