[comp.arch] autodecrement PC

rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) (07/25/89)

In article <3893@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

>	I always wanted to try (I don't know why I never did) using
>auto-decrement mode on r7 (i.e. the pc).  I wonder what would happen?  A

Yes, it works... We had fun finding out that 014747 (octal) or

                  MOV -(PC),-(PC)

was a nice "seed" instr that would
fill memory backwards from wherever you keyed it in until you hit the I/O and
Trap vector locations, Bam! :-)

pkr

rnovak@mips.COM (Robert E. Novak) (07/27/89)

I missed the start of this.  I presume that someone has already posted the
infamous:

	ROL -(PC)

Which turned the ROL instruction into:

	MOV RO, R1

Assuming memory serves correctly.  This was a favorite obfuscation that we
stuck in assembler code  (I think it was A. I. Stocks that first pointed
this out to me in Urbana).

--
Robert E. Novak                                     MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rnovak      928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086

bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (07/27/89)

In article <958@m3.mfci.UUCP> rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) writes:
>In article <3893@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>>
>> I always wanted to try [...] auto-decrement mode on r7 (i.e. the pc).
>
>Yes, it works... We had fun finding out that [...] MOV -(PC),-(PC)
>was a nice "seed" instr that would fill memory backwards from wherever
>you keyed it in until you hit the I/O and Trap vector locations, Bam! :-)

I have always known this type of addressing as:

	"auto-excrement mode"

Just thought you should know that.

--
Bruce Walker                   ...uunet!mnetor!lsuc!isgtec!mutant!bmw
"Better Living Through Connectivity"  ...utzoo!lsuc!isgtec!mutant!bmw