[comp.arch] Flash! 16 not power of 2! really, registers in RAM

acockcroft@pitstop.West.Sun.COM (Adrian Cockcroft) (08/08/89)

In article <2272@cbnewsc.ATT.COM>, gregg@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (gregg.g.wonderly) writes:
> BLWP is effectively a free context switch.  The 9900 has only three

The 9900 looks good until you count how many cycles these "free"
instructions take. Having to go to external memory several times in
most instructions cripples performance. The 9995 was a 9900 with a few
hundred bytes of on-chip RAM which went much better.

> hardware registers.  The status register, the PC, and the workspace
> pointer, which is the address of the registers in memory.  When you
>
> Given a larger address space than just 64K and a MMP, this architecture could
> provide some unique opportunities for code size reduction.  Also, in C,
> passing the address of a register variable would have meaning.
>
> --

Its called a Transputer! A 4Gb address space, 4Kb of on-chip RAM to
put your register workspaces in and a very compact no-addressing-modes
instruction set. A mostly RISC instruction set (no microcode for simple
operations) with hardware and microcode support for a lightweight
process kernel. Some people complain about the software support for the
Transputer but its much better than the 9900 had. I programmed in
9900 assembler and TI concurrent pascal a few years ago and it was
a real nightmare.

--
Adrian Cockcroft Sun Cambridge UK TSE sun!sunuk!acockcroft
Disclaimer: These are my own opinions