[comp.arch] CISC Microprocessors

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) (07/20/89)

I tried posting this before, but I don't think it got out.  My
apologies if you see it twice.

Does anyone know which of the CISC microprocessors are microcoded
and which are hardwired?  I would expect the older (simpler) units
to be hardware implementations whereas the newer (fancier?) chips
would use microcode.  Do the vendors ever sell the same chip with
different microcode?  I have no practical reason to know this, I'm
just curious.

--
  Terry Ingoldsby                       ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
  Land Information Systems                           or

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (07/27/89)

In article <405@ctycal.UUCP> ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
>Does anyone know which of the CISC microprocessors are microcoded
>and which are hardwired?  I would expect the older (simpler) units
>to be hardware implementations whereas the newer (fancier?) chips
>would use microcode.  Do the vendors ever sell the same chip with
>different microcode?  I have no practical reason to know this, I'm
>just curious.

Well, it depends on what you want to call a CISC microprocessor.  The 680x0,
80x86, NS32xxx, WE32x00, NEC V series, and Transputers are all microcoded.
The newer versions of the chips, in the cases of the 680[34]0, 80486, and
32532, are still microcoded, but some of the instructions only use the ucode
to decode, and then call very specialized units (e.g., push and pop on a
'486 have hardware units on-chip that do the work, but they only get
activated after the microcode decodes the instruction).

Chips such as the SPARC, 88000, ARM, MIPS series, and the 6502 do not have
microcode; they are hardwired.  This really has nothing to do with how new
the chips are.

As to selling different versions of chips with different microcode:  yes, it
is done.  To cite two examples, the 32000 from NS was notorious for having
bugs in the chip; I think some (maybe most) were microcode bugs.  Also, the
80386 went through several revisions where there might have been slight
changes to the microcode (it looked that way).

--
Sean Eric Fagan  |    "Uhm, excuse me..."
seanf@sco.UUCP   |      -- James T. Kirk (William Shatner), ST V: TFF

rk@lexicon.com (Bob Kukura) (07/28/89)

In article <3098@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:

> In article <405@ctycal.UUCP> ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
> >Does anyone know which of the CISC microprocessors are microcoded
> >and which are hardwired?  I would expect the older (simpler) units
[...]
> Chips such as the SPARC, 88000, ARM, MIPS series, and the 6502 do not have
> microcode; they are hardwired.  This really has nothing to do with how new

Are you sure the 6502 isn't microcoded?  I built a ttl 6502 (6507
actually) emulator as a digital design lab project in college, and it
had to execute each instruction in the same number of cycles as the
real thing in order to be able to plug into an Atari 2600 video game
as the demo.

Our implementation decoded the instruction into two parts.  One
controlled the datapaths and the other selected one of a couple of
dozen microprograms.  The number of steps needed for each microprogram
exactly matched the cycle count of the real chip.  Our design was
based on analyzing the instruction set, not on any internal design
documentation.  I've since been interested in knowing if this is how
the real chip is implemented.
--
-Bob Kukura		smart: rk@lexicon.com
			dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!rk

mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater) (07/28/89)

>Well, it depends on what you want to call a CISC microprocessor.  The 680x0,
>80x86, NS32xxx, WE32x00, NEC V series, and Transputers are all microcoded.

Not quite. The V33 is a non-microcoded implementation, to provide additional
performance and (perhaps) to avoid the microcode copyright issues.

Michael Slater, Microprocessor Report   mslater@cup.portal.com  415/494-2677

pec@necntc.nec.com (Paul Cohen) (07/28/89)

Newsgroups: comp.arch

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) states
> Well, it depends on what you want to call a CISC microprocessor.  The 680x0,
> 80x86, NS32xxx, WE32x00, NEC V series, and Transputers are all microcoded.

Just a minor correction: NEC's V33 and V53 processors are hardwired, not
microcoded.  The other V-series parts are microcoded, the subject of a
long legal battle with Intel that was recently settled in NEC's favor.

dks%decay@Sun.COM (dk smith... in full-dispersion mode) (07/29/89)

In article <486@lexicon.com> rk@lexicon.com (Bob Kukura) writes:
>Are you sure the 6502 isn't microcoded?  I built a ttl 6502 (6507
>actually) emulator as a digital design lab project in college, and it
[....]
>  I've since been interested in knowing if this is how
>the real chip is implemented.
>--
>-Bob Kukura		smart: rk@lexicon.com
>			dumb: {husc6,linus,harvard,bbn}!spdcc!lexicon!rk
>			phone: (617) 891-6790

Check out a book by the author whose last name is Anceau.
The author's first name and title of the book escape me now.
The book discusses different implementations of the 6502
(which were actually fabricated) in an attempt to determine
the tradeoffs between performance and die size for fully
hardwired designs to fully micocoded designs (and everything
in between!).

I think you'll find this interesting, Bob.

dk

dks%decay@Sun.COM (dk smith... in full-dispersion mode) (07/29/89)

In a recent posting I referred to a book by Anceau that
discussed different implementations of the 6502.

Well, low and behold, I wuz wrong!

Two seconds after my post I realized the study was
on the 6800.

Guess I was too eagar to help... I'll think first
next time :-)

Anyway, this mistake does not take anything away
from Anceau's book.  It will be interesting to some...

dk

hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (07/29/89)

In article <118523@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> dks@sun.UUCP (dk smith... in full-dispersion mode) writes:

>In a recent posting I referred to a book by Anceau that
>discussed different implementations of the 6502.

>Two seconds after my post I realized the study was
>on the 6800.

   Is this it?  (aren't online card catalogs great!)

Your search: FIND AUTHOR ANCEAU
Items found: 3 at ALL IOWA STATE LIBRARIES

AUTHOR          Anceau, F.
TITLE           The architecture of microprocessors / Francois Anceau and the
                 IMAG Computer Architecture Group ; translated by Manissa J.
                 Dobree Wilson and Derek Milligan.
PUBLICATION     Wokingham, England ; Reading, Mass. : Addison-Wesley, c1986.
CALL NUMBER     QA76.9.A73 A52 1986

dks%decay@Sun.COM (dk smith... in full-dispersion mode) (08/01/89)

In article <1269@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu> hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu.UUCP (John Hascall) writes:
>In article <118523@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> dks@sun.UUCP (dk smith... in full-dispersion mode) writes:
>>
>>In a recent posting I referred to a book by Anceau that
>>discussed different implementations of the 6502.
>
>>Two seconds after my post I realized the study was
>>on the 6800.
>
>   Is this it?  (aren't online card catalogs great!)
>

>Your search: FIND AUTHOR ANCEAU
>Items found: 3 at ALL IOWA STATE LIBRARIES
>
>AUTHOR          Anceau, F.
>TITLE           The architecture of microprocessors / Francois Anceau and the
>                 IMAG Computer Architecture Group ; translated by Manissa J.
>                 Dobree Wilson and Derek Milligan.
>PUBLICATION     Wokingham, England ; Reading, Mass. : Addison-Wesley, c1986.
>CALL NUMBER     QA76.9.A73 A52 1986

Ya, Mon!  dat iz de book...

Thanks for pulling me out of that one, John!

dk

ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) (08/02/89)

Thanks for all the info about the many different microprocessors.
I had suspected that the 32000 was microcoded (elegant but slow)
and the 6502 was hardwired (primitive but fast).  What about the
6809?  It seems to have been a very nice chip (for an 8 bit) but
never went very fast.  Is this a good indication it was microcoded?

Also, what about the early Intel stuff, say 8080, and 8085.  I'm
interested about early designs too.

--

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (08/10/89)

In article <427@ctycal.UUCP>, ingoldsb@ctycal.COM (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
> Thanks for all the info about the many different microprocessors.
> I had suspected that the 32000 was microcoded (elegant but slow)
> and the 6502 was hardwired (primitive but fast).  What about the
> 6809?  It seems to have been a very nice chip (for an 8 bit) but
> never went very fast.  Is this a good indication it was microcoded?

_Byte_ magazine ran a three-part article on the design of the 6809,
and they say that it used random logic.  Written by Terry Ritter and
Joel Boney of Moto, it appeared in Jan/Feb/Mar 1979, and it is very
good reading.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc.  /  Santa Ana, CA  / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / {attmail uunet}!vsi!{bang!}friedl  /  friedl@vsi.com

"My new bestseller, _Teach_Yourself_to_Read_, is now available everywhere" -me

rrt@halley.UUCP (Robert Teisberg) (08/12/89)

In article <1163@vsi.COM> friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>_Byte_ magazine ran a three-part article on the design of the 6809,
>and they say that it used random logic.  Written by Terry Ritter and
>Joel Boney of Moto, it appeared in Jan/Feb/Mar 1979, and it is very
>good reading.

Authoritative, too, since Terry Ritter and Joel Boney were both
members of the original 6809 team.

>Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc.  /  Santa Ana, CA  / +1 714 545 6442
>3B2-kind-of-guy   / {attmail uunet}!vsi!{bang!}friedl  /  friedl@vsi.com
>
>"My new bestseller, _Teach_Yourself_to_Read_, is now available everywhere" -me

--
Bob Teisberg @ Tandem Computers, Inc. | ...!rutgers!cs.utexas.edu!halley!rrt
14231 Tandem Blvd.                    | soon to be rrt@mpd.tandem.com

In article <560@halley.UUCP> rrt@halley.UUCP (Robert Teisberg) writes:
>>_Byte_ magazine ran a three-part article on the design of the 6809,
>>and they say that it used random logic.  Written by Terry Ritter and
>>Joel Boney of Moto, it appeared in Jan/Feb/Mar 1979, and it is very
>>good reading.

The only thing I specifically remember from those articles was their
comment about clock speed:  [roughly] "We thought about putting a few
divider stages on the clock input so we could claim victory in the
clock-speed race, but we decided that the users wouldn't appreciate
having to include a tuned cavity as part of the clock oscillator..."
--
V7 /bin/mail source: 554 lines.|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989 X.400 specs: 2200+ pages. | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu